1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 20:252 edits
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I have been a strong supporter of using the tournament entry rating as the basis for clan challenges
    it has a built in floor and is much harder to manipulate thus the reason it is used in tournament play
    not perfect, but the better alternative
    Please see my reply above to Carrobie.
    Applies to you as well !!
    😀😀
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 20:371 edit
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    I think the deaf ears are a result of the accumulated fatigue from
    listening to your drivel for years.

To the point that on the rare occasion that you actually say something sensible, nobody listens.

Too bad !! 😴😴😴😴
    No i don't think that was the reason it was opposed, the real reason was that it would out saggers like you and your clan.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 20:442 edits
    Paul Legget
    Rating 1941
    Tournament Entry Rating 2018

Robbie Carrobie
    Rating 1800
    Tournament Entry Rating 1810

Ragwort
    Rating 1973
    Tournament Entry Rating 2011

Boobs45
    Rating 1508
    Tournament Entry Rating 1651

Ouch! seems like your man Boobs45 is not just a little saggy at present.

thus it seems rather apparent that the tournament entry rating is a much better estimate of a players real playing strength, +/- 50 ELO points either side of this would be a good place to begin.
  4. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 21:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 21:23
    could removing the option to resign help, even if up turd creek you have to play out to the end, might help stop people throwing games
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 22:22
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    could removing the option to resign help, even if up turd creek you have to play out to the end, might help stop people throwing games
    I think the best way is going to fall on deaf ears because it would require multiple rating schemes. The current master cheat mode employed deals with resigning tournament games in bunches, ala McTayto.

A second way to curtail it is to allow only one clan per person. That way, every clan loss hurts their clan. This would stop a good portion of the efforts for Breaking Bad, Anti-Metallica, and The Arrow, all known colluders to robbie's Easy Riders.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 22:28
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    Resigning isn't going to stop anything Al. They would just box the game in short order.

Everyone is focused on resigning games that are won, or even, but they are losing sight of the mass tournament resignations.

But, how about this? If you resign a game, it does not count as a loss against your rating? Robbie and his band of whiners have contended for too long that the purpose of resignations was control rating. That is BS. The biggest violators are players like McTayto who get 20 or more tournament games, make 3 moves and resign them all.
    It isn't from players resigning a game of two in clan challenges that are already won.
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 22:58
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Resigning isn't going to stop anything Al. They would just box the game in short order.

Everyone is focused on resigning games that are won, or even, but they are losing sight of the mass tournament resignations.

But, how about this? If you resign a game, it does not count as a loss against your rating? Robbie and his band of whiners have contende ...[text shortened]... hem all.
    It isn't from players resigning a game of two in clan challenges that are already won.
    And as I have pointed out in the past,
    the actions of McTayto, Lemon and others
    hurt the site in the pocketbook as well.

When McTayto enters a tournament and resigns every game,
    he is also taking a spot away from another
    paying subscriber who wants to play tournament games.

Over the long term, that will hurt subscription levels.

I am quite sure site administration is aware of this abuse.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 23:56
    I have been a strong supporter of using the tournament entry rating as the basis for clan challenges
    it has a built in floor and is much harder to manipulate thus the reason it is used in tournament play
    This idea seems to be gaining traction. At a personal level, I would prefer that my tournament rating be used just to avoid the inference of sandbagging, but I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole process.
  10. Here
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 06:53
    I was under the impression that everybody thought the tournament entry rating was flawed
    That was what all the sandbagging complaints were all about
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 13:421 edit
    Originally posted by padger
    I was under the impression that everybody thought the tournament entry rating was flawed
    That was what all the sandbagging complaints were all about
    why would you say this padger? how do people manipulate their tournament entry rating? Perhaps I am asking the wrong guy? Perhaps I should ask an expert like Mghoober.
  12. Here
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 14:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why would you say this padger? how do people manipulate their tournament entry rating? Perhaps I am asking the wrong guy? Perhaps I should ask an expert like Mghoober.
    I hope you are joking
    All you have to do is resign or time out in a lot of games
  13. Here
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 14:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Paul Legget
    Rating 1941
    Tournament Entry Rating 2018

Robbie Carrobie
    Rating 1800
    Tournament Entry Rating 1810

Ragwort
    Rating 1973
    Tournament Entry Rating 2011

Boobs45
    Rating 1508
    Tournament Entry Rating 1651

Ouch! seems like your man Boobs45 is not just a little saggy at present.

thus it seems rather apparent that the tournamen ...[text shortened]... ers real playing strength, +/- 50 ELO points either side of this would be a good place to begin.
    Wrong .Have a look at Mctayto
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 16:54
    Perhaps we should compare how someone would look under each scenario.

In particular (using me as the example), I would be fine if my "clan challenge rating" were the higher of either my tournament rating or the "padger method" rating.

In that case, whatever manipulation might occur, at least the highest reasonable rating would be used.

As an aside, I am perfectly fine if anyone wants to use me as a calculating example for the discussion, since I have played here for over 5 years, and my rating has fluctuated over that time without major timeouts or any other significant external events.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 17:45
    Originally posted by padger
    I hope you are joking
    All you have to do is resign or time out in a lot of games
    No i was not joking i have hardly ever played in tournaments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree