Advent Calendar - 1 December

Advent Calendar - 1 December

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ro

Moves
01 Dec 14
1 edit

To kick things off in the right mood, the opening of Bach's Christmas Oratorio, as performed by Sir John Eliot Gardiner, the Monteverdi Choir and the English Baroque Soloists.

&list=PLCAACC00F131996E4

This performance was the beginning of a year long 'Cantata Pilgrimage', when this group performed and recorded pretty much Bach's entire existing church cantatas.

They are all available on Spotify, and I am currently about two-thirds of the way through. If you are interested in discovering these works, I can strongly recommend these recordings.

Moves
01 Dec 14

Moves
01 Dec 14

Originally posted by Rank outsider
To kick things off in the right mood, the opening of Bach's Christmas Oratorio, as performed by Sir John Eliot Gardiner, the Monteverdi Choir and the English Baroque Soloists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MMW-NJmt8&list=PLCAACC00F131996E4

This performance was the beginning of a year long 'Cantata Pilgrimage', when this group performed and rec ...[text shortened]... h. If you are interested in discovering these works, I can strongly recommend these recordings.
Glorious! Almost as good - or maybe even as good, but I'd have to hear it on my normal (non-computer) speakers to say so - as the one by Herreweghe and his Collegium Vocale. I traditionally listen to those CDs over the Christmas season, on the proper days, and I think I'll substitute your version this year, for variety's sake.

You know, I've been feeling pretty s%%tty lately, but this brought a massive grin on my face. Thank you.

Ro

Moves
01 Dec 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Glorious! Almost as good - or maybe even as good, but I'd have to hear it on my normal (non-computer) speakers to say so - as the one by Herreweghe and his Collegium Vocale. I traditionally listen to those CDs over the Christmas season, on the proper days, and I think I'll substitute your version this year, for variety's sake.

You know, I've been feeling pretty s%%tty lately, but this brought a massive grin on my face. Thank you.
Glad to hear it. I hope you feel better soon.

I listen to two recordings of the B Minor Mass. JEG and Herreweghe. Can't choose between them, and don't really want to.

I have heard a lot more of JEG cantatas than Herreweghe, so maybe I will do the opposite over Christmas and listen to some more the other way round.

Moves
07 Jan 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
...which project ended today, and has proved a great success. Thank you again.