1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 10:243 edits
    OK, final bit of classic UK TV comedy, as we are in the home straight.

The Good Life was the classic British Sitcom. Set in suburbia, Tom and Barbara decide to leave the rat race and become self-sufficient. They just don't leave suburbia to do it. Their neighbours, Jerry and Margo, remain the same. He is trying to climb the greasy pole in business. She is frosty, Woman's Institute, local choir mistress etc. She is pompous, blunt, and of course hates seeing a nice suburban garden turned into an allotment/farm. As in all sitcoms really, the series plays around the tensions that arise at having such disparate characters and beliefs forced into close proximity. But underneath they are the best of friends.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnkxzjFGCw
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '14 17:41
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    As in all sitcoms really, the series plays around the tensions that arise at having such disparate characters and beliefs forced into close proximity. But underneath they are the best of friends.
    Not to mention, in The Good Life, a good deal of sexual tension between the two couples - particularly Tom and Margo, but also some between Barbara and Jerry, and I don't blame him - which is often there under the surface but, in proper English fashion, never actually erupts. In some episodes - the one where they all get sloshed comes to mind, was that this one? - it almost does, but they manage to keep the tension and their pre-watershed status intact.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree