1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 20:492 edits
    once again, it is time for another season - most likely featuring the same collection of people vying for the honor of getting to record an album of totally forgettable glop written by people like Kara Dioguardi.

I propose we shake things up a bit. The opening "gong show" weeks always produce a number of interesting performers who show a great deal of imagination - but they don't even make it to Hollywood because they're just too weird or too raw.

I've always wondered what would happen if we selected 12 of the most "interesting" people not to get a golden ticket. People that might sound absolutely hideous right now, but underneath have potential for greatness. These people would then spend a year with the best teachers in the music business and we could watch each week to see how they're progressing.

The goal would NOT be to find the next "American Idol". Who cares about that anyway?. The goal would be to develop people who would be as likely as possible to break through all the "sacred" formulas that seem to currently rule all genres of today's popular music. To create the next Elvis - the next Beatles - the next Johnny Cash - the next Sex Pistols - the next Nirvana. And to give them the platform they'd need to be something more than a critically acclaimed obscurity.
  2. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 20:59
    Whilst I don't watch American Idol as I live in the UK (I don't watch the X Factor or any similar rubbish either!) I just don't feel it can happen.

The whole point of these shows is to create a family friendly pop group or singer that doesn't offend or challenge anything or anyone. It is inconcievable that the whole premise of the show would be changed to actualy promote a group or artist that has genuine talent but dares to be, shock horror, different.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 21:00
    I might consider watching a show like that.

Truthfully, I do usually watch the first couple episodes of Idol just for the Train Wrecks. Once it gets "serious", I tune out completely. The train wrecks are hilarious though. I absolutely love 'em.

I absolutely loved this show:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar_USA
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 22:273 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I might consider watching a show like that.

Truthfully, I do usually watch the first couple episodes of Idol just for the Train Wrecks. Once it gets "serious", I tune out completely. The train wrecks are hilarious though. I absolutely love 'em.

I absolutely loved this show:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar_USA
    yes - I watched that one - it was hilarious - although I did feel sorry for the contestants who really thought they were on a legitimate talent show.

actually, this was sort of what I had in mind in my OP. This, along with a show (The Swan) that was out around the same time as Superstar. I was thinking, what if they took some of these train-wrecks and did a musical version - they could call it American Swan - or why must the US be the center of the music world - take it global and have International Swan.

this would combine the best of American Idol, Superstar, the Swan, and the whole Susan Boyle phenomenon. It would probably be the type of show that would draw a large audience (which would please the sponsors), while ALSO actually making people squirm.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree