1. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 05:281 edit
    I'm not a big fan of 20th and 21st century art, with some exceptions, like Dali. Most modern sculpture is garbage, sometimes literally. I love all forms of animation, and that's probably the only modern art that I like across the board.

Sculpture - Hard not to love classical Greek.
    Painting - Impressionist is my favorite, but Van Gogh is crap and Renior is God.
    Theatre - How can one not compare everything to Shakespere?
    Literature - Hard not to love Dickens and Jane Austen.
    Music - Mozart and Vivaldi. I love them because they know what to do with a bass, which is what I primarily played when growing up.

I know I'll have other ideas in the morning, but there you have it.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 11:13
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I'm not a big fan of 20th and 21st century art, with some exceptions, like Dali. Most modern sculpture is garbage, sometimes literally. I love all forms of animation, and that's probably the only modern art that I like across the board.

Sculpture - Hard not to love classical Greek.
    Painting - Impressionist is my favorite, but Van Gogh is crap and Renior ...[text shortened]... layed when growing up.

I know I'll have other ideas in the morning, but there you have it.
    Renoir? You've got to be kidding. There are only a handful of artists that I actively dislike, and Renoir is number one on that list.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 13:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 14:142 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    did Baddy state that Vincent Van Gogh was 'crap', and that Renoir was God? Ming please Ray him with your spectral analyser and turn him to dust, puny human! I also dislike immensely Renoir, when one views his paintings, one can almost taste the candy from the chocolate box with which they were meant to adorn. You find art like Renoir on biscuit tins lids and Rod Stewart albums. Nicey Nicey pastely and bland! i dislike Monet for the same reasons and even Sisley whom i originally admired, now seems destined for the same fate. There is something deeper in Van Gogh, something pure. Anyone who has seen his early work, the potato eaters or the famous stary night cannot fail to be impressed.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 14:232 edits
    De gustibus non dispit. Despot. Est. Pudendum.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 14:32
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    De gustibus non dispit. Despot. Est. Pudendum.
    ummm is this about tastes?
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 15:39
    It's all mud. All midtones with no contrast.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 00:24
    For someone who's allegedly painting the effects of light, everything looks overcast, muddy and gray. The brushwork is uninspiring. The people are expressionless. Renoir just puts me into a foul and sullen mood. I infinitely prefer Degas. He is the master.
  9. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 02:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Appreciate learning about this facet of your interests.
    Andrew Wyeth's home is about 5 miles south of my home. Chadds Ford Pa. Brandywine River museum has a lot of his work hanging there. If your ever in the hood
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 09:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Renoir? You've got to be kidding. There are only a handful of artists that I actively dislike, and Renoir is number one on that list.
    The reason why I like Renior has to do with the spectrum of his work, in that his paintings later in life discarded much of his impressionist beginnings and reverted to more of a hybrid Classical style. I admire the lifetime scope of his work and preferred his use of color over the likes of Van Gogh or Monet.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 09:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    For someone who's allegedly painting the effects of light, everything looks overcast, muddy and gray. The brushwork is uninspiring. The people are expressionless. Renoir just puts me into a foul and sullen mood. I infinitely prefer Degas. He is the master.
    Allegedly? I'm definitely not a fan of the compositions of Renoir, but the way he painted light passing through trees was quite nice and novel for the time. (e.g. The Swing). Degas is great, but they're very different styles in my opinion.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 11:27
    The reason why I like Renior has to do with the spectrum of his work, in that his paintings later in life discarded much of his impressionist beginnings and reverted to more of a hybrid Classical style. I admire the lifetime scope of his work and preferred his use of color over the likes of Van Gogh or Monet.
    no one can yield purity of colour from the palette like Van Gogh!
  13. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 14:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no one can yield purity of colour from the palette like Van Gogh!
    The color might be nice but Van Gogh is blotches on canvas. I'm not impressed with drawings and paintings that a 5 year old could do, which is my knock against a great deal of modern art.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 14:342 edits
    in defence of this statement, even when one views the paintings of Seurat, who tried, through a process of painting pure pigmentation to create vibrancy of colour, although he achieves harmony and his pictures while very pleasing, in my opinion, lack spontaneity and the simplicity which characterises Van Gogh.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 22:11
    The color might be nice but Van Gogh is blotches on canvas. I'm not impressed with drawings and paintings that a 5 year old could do, which is my knock against a great deal of modern art.
    If you can find a five year old who can paint like Van Gogh I would recommend becoming his agent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree