Baker's Dozen

SubscriberFMF
Culture 08 Aug '17 06:56
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 06:56
    Favourite (still active) jam band of mine, Phish, have just finished a run of 13 approximately three hour long 2-set shows at Madison Square Garden, New York, during which they did not repeat any songs. 40 hours of playing. If there is any other rock (or in their case, jazz rock) band that can do this or has even attempted it, can anyone tell me who?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '17 09:04
    YouTube : Song I Heard The Ocean Sing

"Thirty-four years into their career, Phish found new ways to surprise their obsessive fan base during their 13-night "Baker's Dozen" residency at Madison Square Garden, which wrapped up Sunday night. The band didn't repeat a single song during the run, which included 26 sets of music, 237 songs total. Taking loose inspiration from flavors of designer donuts distributed at the door each night by the Philadelphia-based Federal Donuts, the Vermont quartet debuted a slate of songs that ranged from a 1920s blues standard to a 2007 viral video, from underground Seventies funk to 21st-century art rock. The audience was hardly limited to those inside MSG, or even listening in real time, with the band webcasting the shows and archiving them via their LivePhish platform. The Baker's Dozen was one of most ambitious seasons of Phish in years: three weeks' worth of twist-filled musical episodes for an engaged fanbase and onlookers wondering if it's too late to get in on the joke. Here are some of the highlights."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/phishs-bakers-dozen-residency-our-recap-w496328

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/phish-why-bakers-dozen-shows-are-a-fans-dream-w494611
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '17 12:39
    Originally posted by @fmf
    [youtube Song I Heard The Ocean Sing]wBF6yaxTbbw[/youtube]

"Thirty-four years into their career, Phish found new ways to surprise their obsessive fan base during their 13-night "Baker's Dozen" residency at Madison Square Garden, which wrapped up Sunday night. The band didn't repeat a single song during the run, which included 26 sets of music, 237 songs tota ...[text shortened]... http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/phish-why-bakers-dozen-shows-are-a-fans-dream-w494611
    Sounds like they must have been tired during that song. Out of tune singing and lethargic instrumentals. Not my cup of tea when there are real musicians out there like Ralph McTell, Rev. Gary Davis, Judy Collins, Bob Dylan, Doc Watson, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, D'Gary and the like. THEY are real. They don't need a hundred kilowatts of lights and such to make their magic.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '17 17:08
    Favourite (still active) jam band of mine, Phish, have just finished a run of 13 approximately three hour long 2-set shows at Madison Square Garden, New York, during which they did not repeat any songs,
    That's easy when they all sound the same. I bet the Quo could do the same thing twice over.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Sep '17 14:11
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    That's easy when they all sound the same. I bet the Quo could do the same thing twice over.
    The Quo?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '17 21:251 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    The Quo?
    Ah, Status Quo. Ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_Quo_(band)
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 04:04
    Favourite (still active) jam band of mine, Phish, have just finished a run of 13 approximately three hour long 2-set shows at Madison Square Garden, New York, during which [b]they did not repeat any songs. 40 hours of playing. If there is any other rock (or in their case, jazz rock) band that can do this or has even attempted it, can anyone tell me who?[/b]
    Someone like Les Claypool could prolly reel off that many songs with lyrics.
    After all, other than the numerous Primus songs, he has material from "Dou the Twang" , "Oysterhead" and "C2B3" , not to mention his solo stuff.
    I also imagine someone with the energy and catalogue depth as Iggy Pop could also pull it off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree