Moves
    08 Mar '09 14:51
    eric clapton, jimmy page, jimi hendrix.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 16:06
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    eric clapton, jimmy page, jimi hendrix.
    Clapton WAS a great guitarist but faded into mediocrity, Page was never a great guitarist although incredibly successful, and who knows what Jimi may have achieved, he was a force of nature!
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 17:04
    Charley Christian
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 17:14
    Carl Verheyen, perhaps.
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 17:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Clapton WAS a great guitarist but faded into mediocrity, Page was never a great guitarist although incredibly successful, and who knows what Jimi may have achieved, he was a force of nature!
    I forgot to mention George Harrison and Carlos Santana.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 17:50
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I forgot to mention George Harrison and Carlos Santana.
    Yes Harrison, what can we say, an excellent group player and Santana also is quite distinctive, however it may be contested as to whether they were 'great', or the greatest, time would leave us if we mention blues players like Buddy Guy, Albert King, Micheal Bloomfield, Peter Green, Daune Allman, Walter Trout etc etc or the English guitarists, Clapton, Beck, Page, David Gilmour, Alex Lifeson, Richie Blackmore, Alvin Lee, Bill Nelson, Mark Knopfler, Robert Fripp etc etc there are so many assumed to be excellent, some of my personal favorites are Mick Ronson who played with Bowie and Billy Duffy of the Cult and Robbie Krieger of the Doors and of course Jeff Healy, check out this guy Rob Tognoni, hes an Australian and plays rather excellently in my opinion,

YouTube

regards robbie.
  7. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 18:28
    My answer depends on the style of music, the type of guitar being played, and what I have and haven't heard so much as to make this a not-very-reasonable question. Mr. Clapton is boring, though.
  8. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 21:06
    User 36255

I can never get enough of that screechy voice.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 21:251 edit
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    My answer depends on the style of music, the type of guitar being played, and what I have and haven't heard so much as to make this a not-very-reasonable question. Mr. Clapton is boring, though.
    The tragedy of Clapton is that he could have produced some really artistic and experimental music (even more than he did), however he chose a very middle of the road path, check out his stuff with the Allman brothers, amazing!
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 03:51
    Derek Bailey, Keith Rowe, Seth Josel
  11. Joined
    04 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 16:39
    check out his stuff with the Allman brothers, amazing![/b]
    Agreed. And then listen to Duane Allman on anything- on the Allman Brothers albums, on Derek and the Dominoes, on his session work at Muscle Shoals. In his few short years he had consistently great moments as a guitarist.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 23:16
    Clapton WAS a great guitarist but faded into mediocrity

Saw him at the Albert Hall a year or so ago and was dissapointed beyond belief. No passion.

Page was never a great guitarist

Sorry robbie but that is utter twatter 😠
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 01:36
    The tragedy of Clapton is that he could have produced some really artistic and experimental music (even more than he did), however he chose a very middle of the road path, check out his stuff with the Allman brothers, amazing!
    I know this response is somewhat unrelated to the original idea of the thread, but sometimes a person's genius is not about just "one thing" such as musical talent. It may be in how they redefine themselves later in life or following a tragedy.

Clapton will certainly have a musical legacy, but I respect him for not limiting himself to the guitar.

http://www.crossroadsantigua.org/
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 01:422 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Sorry robbie but ['Page was never a great guitarist'] is utter twatter 😠
    Page may not be one of my personal favourites but he certainly deserves to be mentioned as one of the greats, alongside Hendrix, Allman, Zappa, McLaughlin and the like. When I was at college a housemate had a massive Zep bootleg collection and there was ample evidence that Page was cranking out brilliant, inventive, ballsy, distinctive, never-quite-the-same-twice guitar night after night for one of most blockbuster rock groups of all time. The thoroughness of the bootlegging gives an unusual degree of 'documentary evidence' to support any case made for Page. The fact that recordings of the vast majority of the Grateful Dead's 2,000 shows are out there, in circulation, provides similar 'vindication' of any case made for Jerry Garcia's status as a guitar great. (Trey Anastasio's ouevre is out there too, almost in its entirety, make of it what you will). We're not talking about a few solos by Page and Garcia on the albums their bands released. We're talking about almost everything they ever played being out there somewhere for consideration and evaluation! Jimmy Page was without doubt a great.
  15. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 09:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    (Trey Anastasio's ouevre is out there too, almost in its entirety, make of it what you will).
    Quite a lot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree