1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 09:40
    I'm in the process of listening to them all. The very first one, from 1969, is a lot noisier than I would have thought from Buffalo Springfield & Harvest (my only reference from around then). It almost grinds like Grinderman. But anyway -- what's your favourite ... Neil Young ... album?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 09:56
    Do not listen to Neil Young. It's dangerous. The songs have hidden messages inviting you to smoke marihuana and have sex. Beware!
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 10:07
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Do not listen to Neil Young. It's dangerous. The songs have hidden messages inviting you to smoke marihuana and have sex. Beware!
    Lies -- I took a hammer to my old LPs but I didn't find a single hidden message.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 10:33
    I guess my favourite would have to be the unplugged concert.
    But then again, I don't really know that many of his albums.

Pocahontas is definately the song of his I like best. Any song entwining left-wing politics, Indians, pot smoking and Marlon Brando has to be brilliant.
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 20:14
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'm in the process of listening to them all. The very first one, from 1969, is a lot noisier than I would have thought from Buffalo Springfield & Harvest (my only reference from around then). It almost grinds like Grinderman. But anyway -- what's your favourite ... Neil Young ... album?
    Harvest is probably the best technically. Everybody Knows this is Nowhere is best for innovation and brave new ideas - long, drawn out songs with much simple but effective guitar playing. And, it has Cinnamon Girl. But , Harvest is the one I can sit back and relax to.
  6. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 21:01
    I'm a huge fan of Harvest. It is one of my favorite albums in my entire collection. I'm still working on my collection of his stuff, but I think I will always like Harvest the most. It's just too good.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 01:22
    The ones mentioned are terrific and widely regarded as his finest. Of the past few years I really like Greendale. He has also recently released concerts from the very early 70's that have the Everybody Knows and harvest songs beinf performed new and fre h. In fact, he has to introduce them as new songs.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 06:32
    Being a bit of a child of the 80s I'm quite partial to Trans, although I know Neil Young purists will probably hate it.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 08:11
    Originally posted by znsho
    Harvest is probably the best technically. Everybody Knows this is Nowhere is best for innovation and brave new ideas - long, drawn out songs with much simple but effective guitar playing. And, it has Cinnamon Girl. But , Harvest is the one I can sit back and relax to.
    I tend to prefer the Crazy Horse material. I've owned Harvest for years and pretty much thought it defined Neil Young, but I was dead wrong. In fact I'm finding peculiar parallels between him & Nick Cave, of all people.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 08:12
    Originally posted by amannion
    Being a bit of a child of the 80s I'm quite partial to Trans, although I know Neil Young purists will probably hate it.
    I'm looking forward to this one very much. There's been talk of vocoders ...
  11. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 00:13
    i used to live for that stuff.
  12. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 02:02
    I tend to prefer the Crazy Horse material. I've owned Harvest for years and pretty much thought it defined Neil Young, but I was dead wrong. In fact I'm finding peculiar parallels between him & Nick Cave, of all people.
    Yeah, the Crazy Horse stuff is great. Neil Young can work with pretty much anybody. He even made an album using the band from Pearl Jam (Mirror Ball), and it's one of my favorites.

Have you heard the song 'Helpless' by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 09:45
    I'm looking forward to this one very much. There's been talk of vocoders ...
    Trans is great! Young found a mainline to plastic 80s via cheap synth effects -- like Queen circa Radio Gaga.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 09:49
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Have you heard the song 'Helpless' by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young?
    Yes, very nice.

Mirrorball, I only remember "Piece of crap".

I'm on Reactor now. Been taking time out to listen to The Durutti Column (Vini Reilly). A bit like the good guitar bits from The Smiths extended over whole albums and minus the singing, bar some guest female vocalists here and there.
  15. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 15:13
    Rust Never Sleeps.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree