1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 09:34
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You also can't go wrong with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dune, or any of the Elminster books
    But of the Dune series, only Dune itself. The rest get worse and worse. And worse. And worse...

One I read only recently, and enjoyed: Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke.

Also very good: Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.

Richard
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 12:571 edit
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein is one I'd like someone to read and react to -- it had a huge following in the 1960s, of course. I wonder what folks would make of it now. 😲

For 2008, these are the nominees for the Hugo award for SF novel:
    * The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon1
    * Brasyl by Ian McDonald
    * Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer
    * The Last Colony by John Scalzi
    * Halting State by Charles Stross

to see a great listing of books dating a long way back, see this link to the Hugo awards and nominees -- this link is for the novels, but you can also find in the main article links to other categories of SF, such as short stories, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

main article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    10 Jun '08 13:30
    Now, I don't mean to start a big controversy, but I'd like some thoughts on this: while I enjoyed very much the original Dune, there is something about this sort of SF that bothers me a lot and so I don't rank these sorts of stories at the top level.

The sort of story to which I refer takes familiar cultural, national, ethnic or historical peoples and societies and puts them on another planet, jazzes the place up with weird semi-alien creatures who themselves are terribly similar to Earth-like creatures.

My problem with this is that I want more imagination in SF than that -- and I also find anthropomorphic "aliens" rather boring. Sort of the feeling I got when just about every alien on the early star trek series were merely humans with tatoos and funny accents.

Ah, that brings me to a book and an author I highly recommend:

Stanislau Lem -- read The Invincible -- what happens when the most powerful conceivable weaponized, scientifically advanced, gigantic human spaceship staffed to the max encounters a truly alien lifeform that appears to defeat everything humans can throw at it?

Then read Eden and maybe Solaris -- the latter is hard to read because the alien is non-anthropomorphic and there is no explanation for it all at the end. In Eden, you get the same theme of how difficult it is to understand a totally alien society. Part of the problem is that we all tend to base our explanations on what we know from earth and earth society.
    Unlike Solaris, in Eden explanations do come at the end of the book

I also like Lem's Pirx the Pilot stories ...

see article by Carol Arnold:

"In one of his wilder excursions in "The Cyberiad", Stanislaus Lem describes beings who have reached the Highest Possible Level of Development (HPLD). These creatures do nothing but lie on cushions in a desert of cybernetic sand and scratch themselves while watching indecent plays performed by lecherous elves in their abdomens.

"When interrogated about why they don’t use their highly developed science, technology and knowledge for the benefit of the universe, or at least to reduce the suffering of sentient beings, they reply that they tried, and it was useless.

"Could they straighten a humped back or correct any deformity? Of course, but " ... when a civilization starts straightening humps, .... believe me, there’s no end to it! You straighten humps, then you repair and amplify the mind, make suns rectilinear, fabricate fates and fortunes of all kinds. Oh, it begins innocently, like discovering fire by rubbing two sticks together, but eventually it leads to the construction of Omniacs, Deifacts, and Ultimathuloriums."

"In Lem’s story the interlocutor presses on: "If you are truly gods, your duty is clear: immediately banish all the misery and misfortune that oppresses other sentient beings."

"The HPLD being replies: "You wish us to bestow happiness upon everyone? We devoted over fifteen millennia to that. [We tried] evolutionary eudaemonic tectonics -- not lifting a finger to help, confident that every civilization will muddle through. Revolutionary solutions, on the other hand, boil down to the Carrot or the Stick. The Stick, bestowing happiness by force, produces from one to eight hundred times more grief than no interference whatever. [F]or the Carrot, the results are exactly the same."

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0813-01.htm

Lem can be very funny.

for more complete info on Lem, see

http://lt.librarything.com/author/lemstanislaw
  4. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 01:34
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    But of the Dune series, only Dune itself. The rest get worse and worse. And worse. And worse...

One I read only recently, and enjoyed: Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke.

Also very good: Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.

Richard
    To each his own of course, but the Dune sequels are widely misunderstood. Herbert is setting up the reader with Dune. At the end of the book his hero is virtually invincible. He is the King of Universe, has amazing powers, he can see the future and commands an army of fanatical warriors. Classic in its "good guy wins" story. The sequels try to show why this would be a very, very bad thing for humanity to rely on such a messianic figure; but in doing so he has to tear down the hero everybody is emotionally invested in. People generally don't like that sort of thing. The world Herbert sets up in Dune inevitably becomes a tyranny and must be taken apart so that humanity can survive on its own.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 04:05
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    [b]But of the Dune series, only Dune itself. The rest get worse and worse. And worse. And worse...
    I second that!!!
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 22:14
    Pohl's Gateway series is pretty good.
    My favourite though would have to be Dan Simmons Hyperion books - Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion.
    Although, now that I think of it Iain Banks' Culture novels are pretty good too. I'm reading Matter at the moment.
  7. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 04:29
    "R is for Rocket"--Ray Bradbury
    "The Bicentennial Man"--Isaac Asimov
    "Martian Chronicles"--Ray Bradbury
    "Battlefield Earth"--L.Ron Hubbard (Turned into a horrible movie I've heard)

np
  8. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 18:141 edit
    Originally posted by Buzz Meeks
    I liked Asimov at first, but his "Foundation" idea, that science could solve everything for us, clashed with my one time favorite Frank Herbert who taught us to adapt and not rely soley on science or leaders for our salvation. After reading Herbert I couldn't stomach Asimov anymore although he's certainly a skilled writer. Has no one mentioned Frederick P ...[text shortened]... or have I just missed it? Surely he is to be in the same league as Asimov/Clarke/Heinlein.
    My name is (My Name Here) and I aprove of this message. Hands down, Frank has the best series. I wouldn't touch the other Herberts contributions to the Dune series with a ten foot book mark though if I were you.
  9. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 18:20
    As for best Sci-Fi Novel, I may catch a bunch of chaff, but I hereby elect Stand On Zanzibar By John Brunner..
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 18:55
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    As for best Sci-Fi Novel, I may catch a bunch of chaff, but I hereby elect Stand On Zanzibar By John Brunner..
    I forgot about John Brunner -- I remember reading his The Whole Man because it got me thrown out of English class in High School as I was supposed to listening to the boring old fart drone on and on and on about the Scarlet Letter.

I don't recall that book you mention -- I will definitely look it up.

Nothing wrong with citing Brunner -- you might say he was Aces with me - back when you could get two SF novels printed together, one upside down with respect to the other, for .35 cents ....

Murray Leinster comes to mind, too. I liked his idea for how spaceships would be launched by aiming a laser at their tail ends rather than using fuel aboard ship for anything but traveling outside of gravity wells. His War of the Gizmos was pretty funny.
  11. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 19:37
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Murray Leinster comes to mind ... His War of the Gizmos was pretty funny.
    H2G2 Funny? I love humorous sci-fi. I'll have to check it out.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 19:41
    The Fifth Head of Cerberus (Gene Wolfe) is a great short science fiction novel. About cloning and the Oedipal effect, among other things. His short story 'The Death of Doctor Island' (from 'The Death of Doctor Island and Other Stories, and Other Stories'😉 is unforgettable.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 11:47
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear. It's actually part two of two, but is better than the first and holds up as a stand alone book.

Also, The Galactic Millieu Trilogy by Julian May, and The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.
    Don't forget David Brin's Uplift trilogy.
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 16:58
    Big fan of the Amtrak Wars series by Patrick Tilley.
  15. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 20:50
    Also recall Mack Reynolds and Jack Vance --

J G Ballard, brilliant but gloomy.

Algis Budrys' Michaelmas was pretty good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree