Bjorrk

Bjorrk

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
29 May 08

Originally posted by Palynka
I wouldn't call Galas' voice 'gorgeous'...but it certainly is intriguing.
The style is not gorgeous, yet I would say her voice is quite a powerful and sophisticated tool.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by Seitse
Only one of the many: Diamanda Galas.

[i]Diamanda Galás (born August 29, 1955) is an American-born avant-garde performance artist, vocalist, keyboardist, and composer of Greek heritage.

Known for her expert piano as well as her distinctive, operatic voice, which has a three and a half octave range, Galás has been described as "capable of the most unnerv ...[text shortened]... is like the mainstream option for those who don't want to feel so... well... mainstream 😉
Well, that certainly was an elitist comment. A bit smug, today? Better loosen up your drawers.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by badmoon
It is time to pay homage to perhaps the finest female vocalist of the last 20 years.

Her newest recording - Volta - can best be described with one word.....beautiful.
she is the most original artist i can think of, ignoring her first album, debut.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Jun 08
1 edit

Well, that certainly was an elitist comment. A bit smug, today? Better loosen up your drawers.
an elitist comment, on a björk thread?? who could've seen that coming!

haven't heard volta yet. can't see how it could disappoint me, as I expect it to be exactly the same as every björk album has been since homogenic. a rehash of the same predictable digital effects. -hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

I admire her skill though, but not her material.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I wouldn't call Galas' voice 'gorgeous'...but it certainly is intriguing.
somehow 'gorgeous' seems to hit the nail in the head in my opinion. I can't quite bring myself to say she sounds beautiful though, but there still is a lot of beauty in it. 🙂

she's the jimi hendrix of experimental singing! especially the latter excerpt from the following is just incredible.

diamanda galas - two excerpts from eyes without blood

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
03 Jun 08
1 edit

It is time to pay homage to perhaps the finest female vocalist of the last 20 years.

Her newest recording - Volta - can best be described with one word.....beautiful.
I'd put my money on the singer from Portishead.

Or if you've ever heard Tori Amos sing her slow acousitic version of "Smells like Teen Spirit" you might pick her too.

Amie Mann has to rank up there.

m

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by uzless
Or if you've ever heard Tori Amos sing her slow acoustic version of "Smells like Teen Spirit" you might pick her too.
I've heard that live and I've got it on CD. Wonderful.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by wormwood
an elitist comment, on a björk thread?? who could've seen that coming!
Zing!

Illinois

Moves
05 Jun 08

Have you listened to Cat Power? Not to take anything away from Bjork, but Cat Power's voice is phenomenal.

Or Lisa Gerrard, formerly of Dead Can Dance - have you listened to her voice? My goodness!