Books

Books

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 13

Bertrand Russell's autobiography turns out to be a fascinating revelation of a parallel world.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
01 Nov 13

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Bertrand Russell's autobiography turns out to be a fascinating revelation of a parallel world.
I know I used to have a copy. I don't seem to be able to find it anymore. Perhaps it is orbiting Mars with a tea kettle or two.

PAR

The World

Moves
03 Nov 13

Gosh, I'm somewhat low brow, the aforementioned illiterate Neanderthal, as I'm currently reading Stephen Kings Doctor Sleep, have read a few Vince Flynns, the latest Lee Child Reacher book, went back to a few old Sue Townsend comedy novels, self published my first script (The Rage), started my first novel and watched a lot of tv in the evenings, some research, others just for simplistic pleasure or escapism.

Infidel

Moves
04 Nov 13
1 edit

What do you think of Doctor Sleep, Paul? I have it on my to-read list.

Am currently reading King's Desperation. And will read Robin Sloan's Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore after that. That sounded like an interesting story.

I am the embodiment of low brow.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
05 Nov 13

If any of you would like to read my book, PM me!

-m. 😉

PAR

The World

Moves
05 Nov 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
What do you think of Doctor Sleep, Paul? I have it on my to-read list.

Am currently reading King's Desperation. And will read Robin Sloan's Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore after that. That sounded like an interesting story.

I am the embodiment of low brow.
I'm a massive fan of Lord King, to me the best writer of my generation - though I'm sure many would disagree. Quite early on in Doctor Sleep but shaping up to be King's normal good vs. evil, it carries on (loosely) from The Shining with the boy from that book (and film) now an adult - I don't want to say too much - but I'm enjoying it so far.

I was watching the TV adaptation of 'Under The Dome' but it has gone so far from the original text as to be unrecognisable and is far the worse for it - now some sort of Twilight style conversion..... poor, also terrible continuity.

Being a fan of Bram Stokers 'Dracula' - keeping it loosely to the book theme of the thread, I enjoyed the first episode of the new version with Jonathan Rhys Meyers - still in the time-frame of the original, with most the main protagonists but in a new way - the green statements in it also gel well with me.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by rwingett
I know I used to have a copy. I don't seem to be able to find it anymore. Perhaps it is orbiting Mars with a tea kettle or two.
It's one of those melancholy twists of fate that the most successful fiction published by the brilliant Thomas Disch was The Brave Little Toaster, a children's book dashed off as a joke but crowned with the ultimate accolade: adaptation as an animated film, with sequel.

Infidel

Moves
06 Nov 13

Originally posted by Paul A Roberts
I'm a massive fan of Lord King, to me the best writer of my generation - though I'm sure many would disagree. Quite early on in Doctor Sleep but shaping up to be King's normal good vs. evil, it carries on (loosely) from The Shining with the boy from that book (and film) now an adult - I don't want to say too much - but I'm enjoying it so far.

I wa ...[text shortened]... most the main protagonists but in a new way - the green statements in it also gel well with me.
Yes, love King as well.

Re-read It some time ago (special edition from cemeterydance.com) and it was awesome. Read it for the first time 20 years ago and was thrilled to revisit all those familiar characters and places.

Having said that; Under the dome I thought was awful. He should have done that story in 200 pages or less, yet he drags it on for more than a 1000 pages. Pretty much as many as It, but after reading It I felt as though I had visited another Universe whereas reading UtD felt like I had barely left my home.

I am enjoying Desperation very much though and before that I read The wind through the keyhole, which was also very enjoyable.

Kind of like a short revisit to the Dark Tower universe.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
10 Nov 13

No, I haven't. I probably should one of these days, though.
One of my all time favorites.
Read a very long time ago.
May read it again.
Kelly

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Nov 13
1 edit

Les Chants de Maldoror is a book for a lifetime. Alexis Lykiard's translation published by Exact Change is the English version of choice.

Another one I keep going back to is Pascal's Pensées.

The advantage of an aphoristic style: each passage has a fractal quality; no need to reread from end to end to end.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Nov 13

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The very long epistolary sections are a bit of a challenge.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 Jan 14

Anyone else? Are the rest of you a bunch of illiterate hillbillies?
I have just finished Toni Morrison "Love"...very complex.

N

Moves
02 Jan 14
2 edits

I just finished Lord Jim by Conrad. Absolutely brilliant, but it took me a long time. I'm trying to get my "currently reading" list down from 23 to 5-6 or so, so really musn't start any new books. I did start Rachel Newcomb's The Gift last night but abandoned it after about 10 pages as something I probably wouldn't enjoy or be able to relate to.

S

Utrecht

Moves
16 Jan 14

John Williams - Stoner
Philippe Claudel - Het verhaal Brodeck
Tommy Wieringa - Dit zijn de namen
Simon Dunstan/Gerrard Williams - Adolf Hitler: The Escape to Argentina
Valeri Panjoesjkin/Michael Zygar - Gazprom
Robert Friedman - De Russische Maffia
Ian Kershaw - Tot de laatste man, Duitsland 1944-1945

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Jan 14

Alright, it's time for another thread on books. Yes, books. Let's take a look at what people have been reading this year and see what interesting titles they've selected. Thanks to goodreads.com I have a nice list of books I've read this year. And here they are:

1. The Elite Consensus: When Corporations Wield The Constitution
-George Draffan
2. Hutter ...[text shortened]... omics for a Renewed Commonwealth
-Wendell Berry

So what sort of stuff have you read?
I finished up 2013 with the following:

20. The Wisdom of Crowds
-James Surowiecki

21.The Meowmorphosis
-Coleridge Cook

22. Independent People
-Halldór Laxness

23. King Strang
-Robert P. Weeks

24. Rebels Against The Future: The Luddites And Their War On The Industrial Revolution: Lessons For The Computer Age
-Kirkpatrick Sale

25. Johnny Got His Gun
-Dalton Trumbo

26. The Mayor of Casterbridge
-Thomas Hardy

27. The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly
-Sun-mi Hwang

28. Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
-Jared Diamond

29. Lost in the Funhouse
-John Barth

30. Chuck Close: Life and Works 1988-1985