Books

Books

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
06 Mar 15

I just finished reading Hermann Hesse's The Glass Bead Game...quite possibly the best book I have read thus far...

Now I am reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera...both in English and Spanish...it is slow since my Spanish is horrendous, but the venture is helping my Spanish immensely.

s

Moves
06 Mar 15

Have not read Hesse in forever. Garcia Marquez is so much better in Spanish for much nuance is lost in translation

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Mar 15

Originally posted by hakima
I just finished reading Hermann Hesse's The Glass Bead Game...quite possibly the best book I have read thus far...

Now I am reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera...both in English and Spanish...it is slow since my Spanish is horrendous, but the venture is helping my Spanish immensely.
I tried to find out how the glass bead game is played but had no luck. I found a site called "glass bead game --cosmic play in a symbolic universe' but I got bounced out, admin function would not let me go to the site they labeled as Cult/occult. Wow. I am going to try it on my home comp and see what happens. Don't like to be censored.

I see hesse won the 2943 Nobel Prize in literature for this work.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
07 Mar 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
I tried to find out how the glass bead game is played but had no luck. I found a site called "glass bead game --cosmic play in a symbolic universe' but I got bounced out, admin function would not let me go to the site they labeled as Cult/occult. Wow. I am going to try it on my home comp and see what happens. Don't like to be censored.

I see hesse won the 2943 Nobel Prize in literature for this work.
IMO, Hesse intentionally shied away from delineating the glass bead game, in order to allow for the broad interior that occupies the games of the minds of each individual--including the most intellectual and rational of all.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Mar 15

IMO, Hesse intentionally shied away from delineating the glass bead game, in order to allow for the broad interior that occupies the games of the minds of each individual--including the most intellectual and rational of all.
I guess should have said he won the 1943 prize🙂

N

Moves
10 Mar 15

Thanks for reminding me of the title and author! I heard a radio reading/adaptation of the Glass Bead Game. It's an astoundingly good piece.

Meanwhile, I've just finished book ten of War and Peace, and am two-thirds through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which is in long stretches like watching the 24-hour rolling news of a country I've never been to).

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
10 Mar 15

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
Thanks for reminding me of the title and author! I heard a radio reading/adaptation of the Glass Bead Game. It's an astoundingly good piece.

Meanwhile, I've just finished book ten of War and Peace, and am two-thirds through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (which is in long stretches like watching the 24-hour rolling news of a country I've never been to).
I read War and Peace one winter years ago...while exercising on a treadmill and stair climbing machine...amazing workouts.

...listened to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my commute to the college campus Where I am enrolled (I am an OLD student at 53)...there were sections I could not cope with as they drew too close too home for me...however, that was not the author's fault...a very good selection....

Currently, absorbed in Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera...in English and Spanish--I think I already mentioned that...it is an enlightening venture...

N

Moves
10 Mar 15

I read War and Peace one winter years ago...while exercising on a treadmill and stair climbing machine...amazing workouts.

...listened to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my commute to the college campus Where I am enrolled (I am an OLD student at 53)...there were sections I could not cope with as they drew too close too home for me...however, that was not t ...[text shortened]... ra...in English and Spanish--I think I already mentioned that...it is an enlightening venture...
Love in the Time of Cholera is such a great-sounding title that it can only be a good book (and the rave reviews help too). In my mind I pair it with The Painted Veil (I've seen the movie, not read it). But that's probably completely wrong. Is it set in South America?

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
10 Mar 15

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
Love in the Time of Cholera is such a great-sounding title that it can only be a good book (and the rave reviews help too). In my mind I pair it with The Painted Veil (I've seen the movie, not read it). But that's probably completely wrong. Is it set in South America?
I don't know if The Painted Veil pairs with Love in the Time of Cholera (set in Columbia--another Nobel Prize winner), but I see it is written by Somerset Maugham...I have read two of his novels...The Razor's Edge and Of Human Bondage...both worth reading...

I purchased another of Marquez's novels One Hundred Years of Solitude...

So many books!