Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 30 Jun '11 01:12
    Any thought on the new cover album? Or on the idea, that I heard, that he was where American R&R might have been going (instead of into novelty music like "Get a Job"? Or due in part to his demise, it was left a vacuum to be taken on by such as the Beatles? I not am dissing the Beatles.
  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    02 Jul '11 22:47
    Originally posted by JS357
    Any thought on the new cover album? Or on the idea, that I heard, that he was where American R&R might have been going (instead of into novelty music like "Get a Job"? Or due in part to his demise, it was left a vacuum to be taken on by such as the Beatles? I not am dissing the Beatles.
    Imagine if his life had not been cut short, and we were treated to a lifetime of musical output from this genius.
  3. 06 Jul '11 11:35
    Interesting thought indeed! Same about so many who left us so young. Yet Holly was indeed a genius who might have altered the course of music greatly.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Jul '11 16:09
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Interesting thought indeed! Same about so many who left us so young. Yet Holly was indeed a genius who might have altered the course of music greatly.
    I thought he did alter the course of music. I was in HS in Anchorage when he was alive and he sure was popular with the juke box crowd. That was a few months ago
  5. 24 Jul '11 18:06
    He definitely reshaped the course of music during his brief career (basically about 2 years). Just about every major act of the 60s and 70s acknowledged their debt to Holly. The Beatles and Stones both covered some of Holly's songs. In fact, Lennon chose an insect name for the group because of the Crickets (the Beatles were f/k/a the Silver Beetles).
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Jul '11 06:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    He definitely reshaped the course of music during his brief career (basically about 2 years). Just about every major act of the 60s and 70s acknowledged their debt to Holly. The Beatles and Stones both covered some of Holly's songs. In fact, Lennon chose an insect name for the group because of the Crickets (the Beatles were f/k/a the Silver Beetles).
    And also Eddie Cochran, he was good friends with all of them on the plane and was paranoid about dying in a transport accident, and tried to get out of out-of-town gigs, but was talked into a gig in London. At the age of 22, he was killed in a taxi ride where a tire blew out and the driver lost control, Eddie tried to cover his gf in the car and was thrown out of an open door and died the next day.

    Remember "There ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues"?