Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    27 Dec '16 21:05
    Booohoo...

    Star wars may have destroyed her career but it also made it.
    And I thought 2016 was done with offing celebreties
  2. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    29 Dec '16 04:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Booohoo...

    Star wars may have destroyed her career but it also made it.
    And I thought 2016 was done with offing celebreties
    I heard her mum died the next day???

    Weird...

    Leonard Cohen will leave the biggest mark on deaths in 2016. Even more than Bowie and Prince
  3. 02 Jan '17 22:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I heard her mum died the next day???

    Weird...

    Leonard Cohen will leave the biggest mark on deaths in 2016. Even more than Bowie and Prince
    I didn't even know that Debbie Reynolds was still alive.

    I thought that she was older than she was.

    Evidently she was only 19 when she made "Singing in the Rain"

    She was a bigger star than her daughter.
  4. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    07 Jan '17 04:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I didn't even know that Debbie Reynolds was still alive.

    I thought that she was older than she was.

    Evidently she was only 19 when she made "Singing in the Rain"

    She was a bigger star than her daughter.
    Debatable? How old are you?

    That shot of Princess Leia chained to Jabba was a scene that will be remembered by geeks yet to be born. Then again ...

    To be honest I didn't know who Debbie Reynolds was.
    Carrie seemed like she didn't care about fame and I liked her for that. then again I could be wrong
  5. 07 Jan '17 06:42 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Debatable? How old are you?

    That shot of Princess Leia chained to Jabba was a scene that will be remembered by geeks yet to be born. Then again ...

    To be honest I didn't know who Debbie Reynolds was.
    Carrie seemed like she didn't care about fame and I liked her for that. then again I could be wrong
    Chained to Jabba certainly sets the bar really high, but somehow I still think that Debbie had her beat.

    Here's your new favorite song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3mtNZFrMY

    Seriously though, if you've never watched "Singing in the Rain", you should give it a try. It's aged reasonably well. In 2007 it was #5 in the AFI's list of 100 best American movies. "Star Wars" came in at #13. Mom had Carrie beat all the way around.

    Not old enough to have seen it first run in a theatre.
  6. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    21 Jan '17 11:39
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Chained to Jabba certainly sets the bar really high, but somehow I still think that Debbie had her beat.

    Here's your new favorite song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3mtNZFrMY

    Seriously though, if you've never watched "Singing in the Rain", you should give it a try. It's aged reasonably well. In 2007 it was #5 in the AFI's list of 100 best Amer ...[text shortened]... m had Carrie beat all the way around.

    Not old enough to have seen it first run in a theatre.
    Not to mention the dancing of Donald O'Connor.

    The Make 'Em Laugh number is memorable.

    But this film, Singin' in the Rain, made Debbie a star.
  7. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    05 Feb '17 23:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Chained to Jabba certainly sets the bar really high, but somehow I still think that Debbie had her beat.

    Here's your new favorite song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3mtNZFrMY

    Seriously though, if you've never watched "Singing in the Rain", you should give it a try. It's aged reasonably well. In 2007 it was #5 in the AFI's list of 100 best Amer ...[text shortened]... m had Carrie beat all the way around.

    Not old enough to have seen it first run in a theatre.
    Okay... thanks for that tune.

    Perhaps Star Wars is bigger with international audiences than Singin in the Rain.

    I hate musicals.
    The ads for "La La Land" make me spew in my mouth...
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Feb '17 20:33
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Okay... thanks for that tune.

    Perhaps Star Wars is bigger with international audiences than Singin in the Rain.

    I hate musicals.
    The ads for "La La Land" make me spew in my mouth...
    I WAS around at the time and I remember Tammy quite well. I was even at the age of 13 into folk music so it wasn't my thing but a few of them I liked, like 'Westward Wind'

    YouTube

    Looking online I see Patsy Cline did it also but this is the one I remember.

    I still like Doc Watson, Jean Richie, Joan Bias, Dylan, Judy Collins, Pentangle, and a bunch more in the field of folk.
  9. Standard member karoly aczel
    Console Peasant
    21 Feb '17 23:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I WAS around at the time and I remember Tammy quite well. I was even at the age of 13 into folk music so it wasn't my thing but a few of them I liked, like 'Westward Wind'

    [youtube]mHoXMS5IyuE[/youtube]

    Looking online I see Patsy Cline did it also but this is the one I remember.

    I still like Doc Watson, Jean Richie, Joan Bias, Dylan, Judy Collins, Pentangle, and a bunch more in the field of folk.
    I'm more of a Primus fan