1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 02:33
    this is not a "culture forum". it needs to be renamed as a music forum.

music is a wonderful human invention. bless all the varities and all the musicians.

if you want a "culture forum" then please also give us a "music forum" and let art and literature and such have their own place.
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 02:37
    Then start some. Its a quiet forum anyway.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 03:34
    ( i am russ ) chris controls the final programming ( and i can't even get him to come to work on time ).
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 15:01
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    ( i am russ ) chris controls the final programming ( and i can't even get him to come to work on time ).
    I can't rememebr the last time anyone piped in about literature, painting, poetry, sculpture or other form of non-musical art. Plus there's no cool little utube videos of artists painting or even their models posing. I'd love a utube of Boticelli's Birth of Venus being painted!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I can't rememebr the last time anyone piped in about literature, painting, poetry, sculpture or other form of non-musical art. Plus there's no cool little utube videos of artists painting or even their models posing. I'd love a utube of Boticelli's Birth of Venus being painted!
    meh, mere illustration! one must advance a little further, Titian was da man, as was Carravagio!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '11 21:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    meh, mere illustration! one must advance a little further, Titian was da man, as was Carravagio!
    NO argument, but you miss my gist. I don't remember a model in any Titan or Caravaggio that approximates the beauty of Venus! I wanna see the model. A few years back I was with the family in Florence on holiday. We came to a small panini restaurant. The lady behind the counter looked just like Venus.. We had just come from the Uffizi. Even my kids said she looked familiar. I asked if she was related. She said she had been asked ad nauseam, but did not think so.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 00:52
    i saw the mona lisa in a paris museum about forty years ago. it sat on a wall by itself. it was not very large. my memory of it's size is that it was about fourteen inches tall and maybe a foot wide. it was very, very cracked. the pictures see of it in books does not show the cracking that is all over the picture.

i also saw the statute called winged victory and the venus de milo. sculpture is ok. for me it is a cold art and i don't appreciate it much.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 02:091 edit
    NO argument, but you miss my gist. I don't remember a model in any Titan or Caravaggio that approximates the beauty of Venus! I wanna see the model. A few years back I was with the family in Florence on holiday. We came to a small panini restaurant. The lady behind the counter looked just like Venus.. We had just come from the Uffizi. Even my kids said ...[text shortened]... iar. I asked if she was related. She said she had been asked ad nauseam, but did not think so.
    my good man, perhaps you had better take a swatch at this! Titians, Venus of Urbino. No one does portraits like Titian, he has that rare gift of being able to capture the character of the person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tizian_102.jpg
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 12:241 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    my good man, perhaps you had better take a swatch at this! Titians, Venus of Urbino. No one does portraits like Titian, he has that rare gift of being able to capture the character of the person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tizian_102.jpg
    Not better than the sublime Rafael, the greatest of all time! Titian was indeed truly great as was Caravaggio, but fancy stumbling upon the models in the Card Sharps and you'd run the other way!

Quite lovely that Venus of Urbino, but not as stunning as the Boticelli model.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 12:331 edit
    i saw the mona lisa in a paris museum about forty years ago. it sat on a wall by itself. it was not very large. my memory of it's size is that it was about fourteen inches tall and maybe a foot wide. it was very, very cracked. the pictures see of it in books does not show the cracking that is all over the picture.

i also saw the statute called winge ...[text shortened]... the venus de milo. sculpture is ok. for me it is a cold art and i don't appreciate it much.
    I prefer art outside museums. In museums these pieces are indeed cold and like pinned butterflies in an entomology exhibit. When art comes to life is when you stumble upon it or where it plays the double function of displaying the virtuosity of the artist as well as functional decor for where it is displayed. One of the most moving art works I ever saw was that of the "Pregnant Madonna" by Piero de la Francesca. Alone in its specially made tiny chapel in the middle of nowhere in Tuscany. My wife was pregnant and dressed almost identically in a short version of the Madonna's dress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_del_Parto

Indeed La Gioconda is tiny and people aren't quite prepared for such a tiny masterpiece. Sculpture feels cold, but once seeing how it is brought forth you might change your mind. If your ever in Florence don't miss going to L'Accademia, Michelangelo used to teach there, for a peek at the creative process. Or go to San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome to look at Moses. That is an incredible work of art. Or the Trevi Fountain by Bernini. Now picture it with the blonde( Anita Ekberg) dancing in the fountain scene in La Dolce Vitta! Makes art come to life indeed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accademia_Gallery
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 13:40
    I prefer art outside museums. In museums these pieces are indeed cold and like pinned butterflies in an entomology exhibit. When art comes to life is when you stumble upon it or where it plays the double function of displaying the virtuosity of the artist as well as functional decor for where it is displayed. One of the most moving art works I ever saw ...[text shortened]... ce Vitta! Makes art come to life indeed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accademia_Gallery
    I would need to refer also to Edgar Degas, apres le bain, or some simple Ballerina classes. Some of that pastel light, when seen for real at the Musee d'Orsay, is quite alive and a stunning play of colours.

-m.

Now this is culture. 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 15:20
    the art that i see outdoors that i appreciate is fountains that have colored glass. you do not see it often but now and then, mostly outside of office buildings, you find a waterfall that uses colored glass. very nice.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 20:44
    this is not a "culture forum". it needs to be renamed as a music forum.

music is a wonderful human invention. bless all the varities and all the musicians.

if you want a "culture forum" then please also give us a "music forum" and let art and literature and such have their own place.
    If you start a thread on art and/or literature and such, it will live as long as there is interest.

These I some ideas I would like to see explored by educated thinkers. Do they belong in this forum? Do people think they'd be interesting?

What is the difference/relationship between culture and *A* culture.

What factors allow culture/a culture to flourish? Are there Golden Ages? If so, why? Can one be engineered to occur? Why do they end?

Similarly, what is cultural progress and what are its prerequisites?

Whence classical music? Is it mined out? (Sorry, it's about music.)

The value of travel.

Favorite cultural travel destinations and why.

Transitions in art (e.g., the reasons for the transition to French Impressionism, then to Post-Impressionism to Art Nouveau)

What makes something a work of art? Or, what is art for?

The interface of culture and commerce. (e.g, Jeff Koons Balloon Dog incident)

Art, propaganda and "Kultur" -- examples and lessons

What makes for good education in the cultural aspects of life?

Ten desert island books (fiction/nonfiction), ten desert island records, movies, art works, etc. (Or ten for my library of you don't like desert island lists.)
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 20:52
    The model release form specified PAL DVD format.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 20:544 edits
    Not better than the sublime Rafael, the greatest of all time! Titian was indeed truly great as was Caravaggio, but fancy stumbling upon the models in the Card Sharps and you'd run the other way!

Quite lovely that Venus of Urbino, but not as stunning as the Boticelli model.
    yet she is quietly alluring 🙂 Them renaissance Italian masters liked their chicks a little more meaty than the stick insects which pass for models today! I am not sure if Rafael painted many pagan themes, Titian was not so worried as long as the money was good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree