Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 12 Jun '09 11:05 / 1 edit
    One of the world's best known artworks - The Scream by Edvard Munch - is to go on display in Glasgow on Friday.

    The black and white lithograph is one of 40 of his works which will be on show at the Huntarian Art Gallery until 5 September.

    This is the last time the print will be seen outside the Munch Museum in the Norwegian capital, Oslo.

    source bbc.

    this don't happen everyday my friends, can you feel the excitement, gotta go and see it, gotta go! and you know the best part my friends, The Huntarian Museum is an annexe of Glasgow university, and its free as are all the Art galleries and museums in the city, so what you waiting for? London smundon, its mince, cannae get a decent currie, cannae drink the water, cannae see the scream by Edvard Munch, weeeeeeeee!
  2. 13 Jun '09 04:31
    How I envy you. Since I was a kid it has always been one of my favorite paintings. Is there anything else on display? we have decent enough museums where I live, but they want an arm and a leg for admission.
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    13 Jun '09 09:51
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    How I envy you. Since I was a kid it has always been one of my favorite paintings. Is there anything else on display? we have decent enough museums where I live, but they want an arm and a leg for admission.
    But its not the painting that's coming to Scotland. The Norwegians are far too shrewd to risk that one in such a benighted wasteland. As Robbie indicated, instead they're sending one of the black and white versions that Munch made. You know, one of the lesser screams. More of a whimper, really. Since they probably suspect that the only reason a Scotsman would go to a museum in the first place would be to try to steal the artwork, they can go about their business of bringing a little culture to the savages without putting themselves at too much risk.

    😉
  4. 13 Jun '09 11:11 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But its not the painting that's coming to Scotland. The Norwegians are far too shrewd to risk that one in such a benighted wasteland. As Robbie indicated, instead they're sending one of the black and white versions that Munch made. You know, one of the lesser screams. More of a whimper, really. Since they probably suspect that the only reason a Scotsman wou ...[text shortened]... f bringing a little culture to the savages without putting themselves at too much risk.

    😉
    oh great rwingwett, is your mouth not watering at the unsurpassed socialism of Glasgow? free museums, free art galleries, for the enlightenment of the people? yes my friend we are the foremost socialist city since the eighteen hundreds and the tradition continues! we are not a cultural desert not a vacuum region like, ahem, some other parts of the UK. but we are culturally rich and have an exceptional artistic heritage, but you are green with envy my friend, but there is only one thing for it, come and see for yourself! i will venture to go this afternoon, lithograph or otherwise, it matters not, there are over forty of Munchs works on display 🙂
  5. 13 Jun '09 11:28
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    How I envy you. Since I was a kid it has always been one of my favorite paintings. Is there anything else on display? we have decent enough museums where I live, but they want an arm and a leg for admission.
    this thing is unheard of in Glasgow, art is for the people, everyone knows this, and to bar someone from entry because of the price of admission is to deprive them of one of life's true transcendental pleasures, the sublime contemplation of a work of art, for it is the pinnacle of human endeavour, not the mere imitation of nature nor banal materialism, but the assertion of the mind, the execution of the imagination, oh its mouth watering.

    i have often read that in museums in other places, the works of art are held aloft from the people and become the property of a select few, who are deemed erudite enough to interpret them and thus appreciate them, it is nonsense, a great injustice and reflective of the snobbery which has beguiled the artistic world? does one hide a pretty women away from the world? can not everyone go to the opera? then why cannot everyone appreciate art? at least on an individual level?

    scacchipazzo my friend i weep for you, here there was a public outcry, when it was suspected that the Duke of Sutherland planned to sell famous works by Titian which had been on public display since 1945, campaigners managed to secure the £50 million for one of the works, such is the public sentiment!
  6. 13 Jun '09 12:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this thing is unheard of in Glasgow, art is for the people, everyone knows this, and to bar someone from entry because of the price of admission is to deprive them of one of life's true transcendental pleasures, the sublime contemplation of a work of art, for it is the pinnacle of human endeavour, not the mere imitation of nature nor banal materialis ...[text shortened]... mpaigners managed to secure the £50 million for one of the works, such is the public sentiment!
    Weep not! I get to go to the Met about every other year because mum in law lives outside NYC. I get my museum fix then. Where I live we also have the Kimball. 35 miles away, but usually worth the trip. However, we never get to see Munch. The largest local university has a decent enough museum, free on Thursdays. Thhis summer I get to go to the Chicago museums. I'll be OK!
  7. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    19 Jun '09 20:52
    http://www.seeglasgow.com/seeglasgow/museums-and-galleriesnew/kelvingrove/salvador-dali

    Is my favourite in Glasgow.

    Permanently on display, and free.