hiz best wuz also hiz shortest...

badge...

rookie
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 22:05
    Would you count Layla as him having a solo? I know Duane did some duo work on it, and I thought Duane outplayed Eric anyway on that particular cut.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 13:14
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:20
    Third Degree (on From The Cradle).
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Third Degree (on From The Cradle).
    thats a good one.
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '09 14:28
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    thats a good one.
    Clapton has bad ones? 😛
  9. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 07:33
    have been listening to his guitar work on the album he did with Mayall's Bluesbreakers. revolutionary tone for the time, at least for an album with relatively wide exposure, and a big influence on Hendrix's sound.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 12:24
    sorry dont mean to change the subject but i was just watching a documentry about peter green and everybody was saying he was better the clapton. it was well before my time and dont know greens work that well, so is this true or a case of biased documentary making?
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:07
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    sorry dont mean to change the subject but i was just watching a documentry about peter green and everybody was saying he was better the clapton. it was well before my time and dont know greens work that well, so is this true or a case of biased documentary making?
    peter green better than clapton?

what a joke!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:41
    peter green better than clapton?

what a joke!
    how can one measure better in taste, ok, one may argue that there are those who have more taste buds than others, but this' better than', seems to me to be nonsense, personally i like peter green better more, there is more texture to the fleetwood mac sound, oh well is classic parts one and two, black magic women is just awesome as is the green manilishi with the two pronged crown, not to mention albatross. There was such great creativity all around in those days. Rather interestingly I heard that peter green was one of the few guitarists who was not intimidated by Hendrix, can the same be said of Beck and Clapton?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    how can one measure better in taste, ok, one may argue that there are those who have more taste buds than others, but this' better than', seems to me to be nonsense, personally i like peter green better more, there is more texture to the fleetwood mac sound, oh well is classic parts one and two, black magic women is just awesome as is the green manil ...[text shortened]... e few guitarists who was not intimidated by Hendrix, can the same be said of Beck and Clapton?
    intimidated by hendrix?

are you serious?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 22:001 edit
    intimidated by hendrix?

are you serious?
    yes Clapton and Beck , were terribly intimidated by Hendrix, or have never saw the cream video , live at the Albert hall , in which Jack Bruce relates a famous account of Jimi, blowing everyone away with a rendition of 'killing floor', in which Eric just put his guitar down and slinked away like a wounded hound with the tail between his legs? Peter Green was not intimidated by Jimis playing, for he had his own evaluation of these things.
  15. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    16 Nov '09 14:06
    Green certainly had a moment, but you can't compare his work with the body of work that Clapton has created. I saw Peter Green about 5 years ago, he truly sucked, and had a hot Texan guitarist with him to keep any energy on stage. I went to see him because I respected his earlier works _ he wrote Black Magic Woman, that Santana borrowed. Fleetwood Mac, when they were a blues band, had some great Peter Green stuff - Bare Trees Album.

Clapton can still play with a lot of performance energy. What made him the monster guitarist, in my opinion, was the extended soloing allowed by Creams' music. There is nothing previous to Cream in rock LP's that allowed for such lengthly jam forms with guitar as the lead instrument, you can compare it to Coltrane, or Miles in it's extended virtuosity, but not content. Wasn't "Spoonful" the whole side of an album? Maybe Zappa's King Kong variations predates Cream, but the guitar wasn't the only focus of that jam.

Clapton / Hendrix discussion: when I was a kid, that topic took up many nights of conversation while hanging on street corners, when the girls weren't around. Was like Ali/ Frazier, who was better. Blow by blow, head cuttin' time, .. ... I take Hendrix.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree