1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 02:441 edit
    In honor of Back on his 328th birthday. His Mass in B Minor is considered by many his greatest masterpiece and perhaps the most beautiful music ever written. Some say he was born 3-31-13, but that's NS whereas 3-21-1685 is OS(old style, new style)
    YouTube

Bach cantatas too many to count and all extraordinary. St. Matthew and St. John Passions. Golberg variations.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 12:58
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    In honor of Back on his 328th birthday. His Mass in B Minor is considered by many his greatest masterpiece and perhaps the most beautiful music ever written. Some say he was born 3-31-13, but that's NS whereas 3-21-1685 is OS(old style, new style)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F7TVM8m95Y

Bach cantatas too many to count and all extraordinary. St. Matthew and St. John Passions. Golberg variations.
    By the way, thanks for the recommendation on St Mathew Passion (John Eliot Gardiner). I have it now in my collection and the recording is very good. I have to say, I struggle with it as a piece, but remain hopeful.

I'll throw a few others into the mix:

1 The overtures from the orchestral suites. Don't know why, but if I were to rank all the movements, the overtures would pretty much all come top.

2 Chaconne from D Minor Partita for unaccompanied violin (yes, I know I keep going on about it, sorry)

3 Cantata, BWV 208 - Aria 'Schafe Können Sicher Weiden'

The last one is on my list of the pieces of music I want playing in the background when the time comes.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 14:44
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    By the way, thanks for the recommendation on St Mathew Passion (John Eliot Gardiner). I have it now in my collection and the recording is very good. I have to say, I struggle with it as a piece, but remain hopeful.

I'll throw a few others into the mix:

1 The overtures from the orchestral suites. Don't know why, but if I were to rank all the mo ...[text shortened]... e is on my list of the pieces of music I want playing in the background when the time comes.
    You are more than welcome. Give the St. Matthew passion time. I sincerely believe it is only surpassed by B Minor Mass in Bach's enormous catalogue. I was fortunate enough to hear the St. Matthew Passion for the first time live, on original instruments and with singers trained in the style of the era.

No argument about your choices. Impossible to go wrong with such a wonderful composer. Even his overdone pieces like his Italian concerto are so delightful one could never get tired of Bach's music.

Your funeral music would certainly give the grieving congregants a lift and cause for meditation on the decedent's excellent taste! Ah, but you must throw in the Chaconne from D Minor Partita for unaccompanied violin lest anyone think you mellowed!
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 16:261 edit
    You are more than welcome. Give the St. Matthew passion time. I sincerely believe it is only surpassed by B Minor Mass in Bach's enormous catalogue. I was fortunate enough to hear the St. Matthew Passion for the first time live, on original instruments and with singers trained in the style of the era.

No argument about your choices. Impossible to go in the Chaconne from D Minor Partita for unaccompanied violin lest anyone think you mellowed!
    Sorry, not funeral music. Deathbed music. The pieces I want to listen to one last time before I pop off.

Actually, it is quite an interesting challenge to make up a list. There are countless pieces I love that just wouldn't suit.

Maybe I should copyright the idea of Deathbed Ideal Discs before anyone steals it?
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 17:54
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Sorry, not funeral music. Deathbed music. The pieces I want to listen to one last time before I pop off.

Actually, it is quite an interesting challenge to make up a list. There are countless pieces I love that just wouldn't suit.

Maybe I should copyright the idea of Deathbed Ideal Discs before anyone steals it?
    I see. Well it may certainly make a splash. Test it by running a thread. It may be more popular than your desert island discs thread. Indeed such a list would be rather challenging, almost daunting. Without a doubt many might think such pieces should be somber and introspective. However, many such pieces might be the contrary, even light hearted. Cheaper than a copyright might be to buy an inexpensive domain.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 22:243 edits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F7TVM8m95Y

And this one that spawned Jesu Joy of Man's desiring:

J. S. Bach - Kantate "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben", BWV 147

YouTube

This is a wonderful rendition and the singers and players actually seem to be enjoying themselves! Just before Jesu, the violin hints at it, doesn't she?

Jesu Joy of man's desiring on guitar has to be played best by Christopher Parkening, he brings out nuances I never heard anyone else wring out of the guitar!

YouTube

And IMO one of the most beautiful of them all:

The Orchestral Suite #3 in D Major, the Air from it anyway:

YouTube
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 22:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And this one that spawned Jesu Joy of Man's desiring:

J. S. Bach - Kantate "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben", BWV 147

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLElL_JJxuA

This is a wonderful rendition and the singers and players actually seem to be enjoying themselves! Just before Jesu, the violin hints at it, doesn't she?

Jesu Joy of man's desiring on gu ...[text shortened]... Suite #3 in D Major, the Air from it anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn4p7uYdMc
    Oops! I just noticed my typo. Excellent favorites. I have yet to find anyone who dislikes Bach!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree