1. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 03:07
    I just watched the New York Met live yesterday with "La Fille du Regiment" by Donizetti. It was a live broadcast. I don't get much opportunity to watch live opera, so I'm glad the Met is doing this. I've been to Milan and Vienna (actually toured the Staatsoper), but each time I was unable to watch a performance in two of the best places to watch opera. I have been to the Lyric Opera House in Chicago (coincidentally another Donizetti), and that was great.

Just throwing this out, what's your favorite opera, or one I should be sure to see? I have listened to quite a bit, but when the visual aspect is brought in, it adds so much more.

np
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 03:291 edit
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    I just watched the New York Met live yesterday with "La Fille du Regiment" by Donizetti. It was a live broadcast. I don't get much opportunity to watch live opera, so I'm glad the Met is doing this. I've been to Milan and Vienna (actually toured the Staatsoper), but each time I was unable to watch a performance in two of the best places to watch opera. ened to quite a bit, but when the visual aspect is brought in, it adds so much more.

np
    I must admit that I've never delved into opera, however I do have a recording of Morton Feldman's "Neither" with libretto by Samuel Beckett though I imagine many would be reluctant to call it an opera even though it was comissioned by the Rome Opera. The following is Feldman's account of the meeting when Feldman proposed the project to Beckett :

"He [Beckett] was very embarassed - he said to me, after a while: 'Mr. Feldman, I don't like opera.' I said to him, 'I don't blame you!' Then he said to me 'I don't like my words being set to music,' and I said, 'I'm in complete agreement. In fact it's very seldom that I've used words. I've written a lot of pieces with voice, and they're wordless.' Then he looked at me again and said, 'But what do you want?' And I said 'I have no idea!' He also asked me why I didn't use existing material ... I said that I had read them all, that they were pregnable, they didn't need music. I said that I was looking for the quintessence, something that just hovered."
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 03:49
    this, along with Shakespeare, are my two least favorite categories on Jeopardy. When Opera comes up, I just blurt out What is Aida? or Who is Stravinski? If French is in the clue, I remember from 6th grade a guy named Bizet wrote one. That is my entire bank of knowledge on the subject. But if that soothing, pastoral music that is played on Bugs Bunny cartoons just before all hell breaks loose is operatic, than that's my favorite.🙂
  4. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 03:56
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    I just watched the New York Met live yesterday with "La Fille du Regiment" by Donizetti. It was a live broadcast. I don't get much opportunity to watch live opera, so I'm glad the Met is doing this. I've been to Milan and Vienna (actually toured the Staatsoper), but each time I was unable to watch a performance in two of the best places to watch opera. ...[text shortened]... ened to quite a bit, but when the visual aspect is brought in, it adds so much more.

np
    I really enjoyed Le Grand Macabre when i saw it a couple years ago.

Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to put that on my ipod.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 04:23
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    I really enjoyed Le Grand Macabre when i saw it a couple years ago.

Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to put that on my ipod.
    Is that the one by Ligeti? When Sony issued the Ligeti Edition I think I collected them all except for that one 🙂
  6. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 10:09
    I've actually played in the Met Opera House, as well as the Lyric Opera in Chicago and the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco. It's hard to say what my favourite opera is. I've played a lot of them, and I have to separate the difficulty of playing one from simply listening to it. However, Strauss operas are great as well as Mozart. I'm not a big fan of Wagner (wonderful moments but awful half hours). I've always loved Hansel and Gretel and I like Verdi.
  7. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 16:20
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Is that the one by Ligeti? When Sony issued the Ligeti Edition I think I collected them all except for that one 🙂
    Yep, that's the one.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 16:41
    I've been to two operas and walked out at intermission on both occasions.

Opera are teh dulz!
  9. Standard memberRapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 16:451 edit
    Ya know what opra is its fat people in weird suits singing gibberish.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 17:31
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I must admit that I've never delved into opera, however I do have a recording of Morton Feldman's "Neither" with libretto by Samuel Beckett though I imagine many would be reluctant to call it an opera even though it was comissioned by the Rome Opera. The following is Feldman's account of the meeting when Feldman proposed the project to Beckett :

"He ...[text shortened]... t I was looking for the quintessence, something that just hovered."
    Usually opera is not my thing, but that sounds quite fascinating. What do you think about it?
  11. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 20:36
    Originally posted by Rapidfyre
    Rock, country, and the like is thin people singing gibberish.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 00:14
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Usually opera is not my thing, but that sounds quite fascinating. What do you think about it?
    I really like it, but then I really like Feldman. It's really not out of character from his other large ensemble compositions.

If you want to read about it, check out:
    http://www.themodernword.com/beckett/beckett_feldman_neither.html

Here's an excerpt that sums things up nicely:
    "Constant, ebb-and-flow tension; an impending sense of revelation that never quite flowers into climax; an apprehension of the timeless present as being both liberation and prison -- all are qualities that may equally well describe the music of Feldman or the writing of Beckett. Also common to both artists are a pared-away minimalism grounded in a less-is-more aesthetic, a revolutionary approach to the instruments of their craft, an implicit demand on a receptive audience for patience and open-mindedness, and an almost neurotic fixation on extended repetition and minute variation."
  13. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 03:08
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    Rock, country, and the like is thin people singing gibberish.
    ...and usually quite poorly.

np
  14. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 03:12
    Originally posted by Rapidfyre
    Actually, Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Florez are anything but fat. Their diction was quite precise. And the subtitles were great as I don't speak French.

Now, when the late great Pavarotti sang the same role of Tonio, I don't think he could quite pull off the young Swiss boy look. But with such a voice...

np

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree