Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Aug '09 15:23
    Any names for the shortlist? Or the longlist, for that matter.
  2. 11 Aug '09 15:25 / 3 edits
    Bob Dylan, no one even comes close, in my amazing opinion. Check out Farewell Angelina if in doubt. Although admittedly if may be difficult to construe old Bob as either rock or pop. The beauty of Dylan, as in all true art, is that it is a vehicle for ones own imagination, and refuses to submit to banal definition.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Aug '09 15:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Bob Dylan, no one even comes close, in my amazing opinion. Check out Farewell Angelina if in doubt. Although admittedly if may be difficult to construe old Bob as either rock or pop.
    I prefer Robert Hunter to Bob Dylan. Kind of contemporaries. And I didn't like the lyrics on Dylan's last 2 or 3 albums at all.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Aug '09 15:31 / 1 edit
    Robert Wyatt.
    Neil Finn.
    Elvis Costello.
    Steve Kilbey.
    Leonard Cohen.
    Andy Partridge.
    Mark Kozelek.
    David Bowie, come to think of it.

    Which I do.
  5. 11 Aug '09 15:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    I prefer Robert Hunter to Bob Dylan. Kind of contemporaries. And I didn't like the lyrics on Dylan's last 2 or 3 albums at all.
    mm, yes you may have a point, although i get really quite annoyed when the lyricist paints the picture for me.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Aug '09 15:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    mm, yes you may have a point, although i get really quite annoyed when the lyricist paints the picture for me.
    Dylan's last 3 kind of got anticipated, got clutched, got listened to, got towards the bottom of the pile, got out of mind.

    Let's have a Dylan-off.

    Dig out his a last few and tell me what to listen to. And I will then berate you or thank you accordingly, in public.

    While I'm there I will fess up if I find something that I'd overlooked.

    I will put on the headphones and really give your selections a chance. I'm open to persuasion here.
  7. 11 Aug '09 16:40 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Dylan's last 3 kind of got anticipated, got clutched, got listened to, got towards the bottom of the pile, got out of mind.

    Let's have a Dylan-off.

    Dig out his a last few and tell me what to listen to. And I will then berate you or thank you accordingly, in public.

    While I'm there I will fess up if I find something that I'd overlooked.

    I will put on the headphones and really give your selections a chance. I'm open to persuasion here.
    i public flogging, how appealing! actually i am an early Dylan fan before he became a 'Christian?' and although not an aficionado by any manner of means, when viewed in the context of the times, and perhaps even beyond, there is a depth there that i find unsurpassed. That ability to crystallise or bring to the fore some deeply hidden thought that every one feels, and place it as one would a diamond or a ruby in a gem encrusted ring for all to wonder and gaze at. I used to have the vinyl album, Live at Budokan (it may in fact still be at my moms home), which i listened to but did not really like.
  8. 11 Aug '09 19:24
    Frank Zappa
    Michael Gira
    Leonard Cohen
    Kristoffer Rygg
    David Byrne
  9. 11 Aug '09 20:47 / 1 edit
    Robert Burns
    Page and Plant
    Lennon
    Hendrix
    Peter Green
  10. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    12 Aug '09 10:08 / 1 edit
    Frank Black. no contest.

    Adalita(magic dirt)
    Rory Cooke(Gaslight Radio)
    Les Claypool isn't too bad either,for that brand of lyric.
    TomWaits,...always delivers a nice punch.
  11. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    12 Aug '09 13:16
    Black Francis (don't care much for Frank Black)
    Tom Waits
    Nick Cave
    David Bowie
    Morrissey
    Michael Gira
    John Balance
    David Tibet
    Rickie Lee Jones
    Serge Gainsbourg
    Lee Hazlewood
    Neil Tennant
    Mark E. Smith
  12. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    12 Aug '09 13:28
    Morrissey, no contest, is the king of all.
    Roger Waters
    Eddie Vedder
    Peter Gabriel
    Trent Reznor
    Sting
    Dave Matthews

    ... category apart for Mr. Bob Marley
  13. 12 Aug '09 13:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Robert Wyatt.
    Neil Finn.
    Elvis Costello.
    Steve Kilbey.
    Leonard Cohen.
    Andy Partridge.
    Mark Kozelek.
    David Bowie, come to think of it.

    Which I do.
    Love Nick Cave, but I must confess (being from the other side of the water) as much as I try to appreciate Canterbury I just can't understand what the hell they are saying!!! I wish I could - I love the music!

    I'll add my own provincial favorite - Don Henley.
  14. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    12 Aug '09 14:17
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Black Francis (don't care much for Frank Black)
    Tom Waits
    Nick Cave
    David Bowie
    Morrissey
    Michael Gira
    John Balance
    David Tibet
    Rickie Lee Jones
    Serge Gainsbourg
    Lee Hazlewood
    Neil Tennant
    Mark E. Smith
    I was hoping someone would say Black Francis!
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Aug '09 14:48
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

    Rickie Lee Jones
    Oooh good call. And Joni too?