1. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 03:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I guess that video is an example of the new flamenco, eh. Who is your favorite traditional flamenco player? I tend towards Manitas De Plata or Sabicas, totally different ends of the spectrum, eh.

Not sure if I showed you this duo, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, husband and wife duo. She uses a lot of percussion techniques derived from her study of the Bodhran, the ...[text shortened]... NR=1

This is from the Dave Letterman show. They had the audience eating out of their hands!🙂
    I think is has to be Paco De Lucia, well undoubtedly. A true Spanish flamenco player who developed his own style, nouvo flamenco, and came from a family of players. He was touring by aged 13! He couldn't read music proficiently until 1991 either, so he is a true player from the ears and heart, and widely recognised as the greatest alive. I can't disagree with that, as he outplays his rivals without the need to ever pick up a plectrum - his style is more fluent and faster, when needs be... 😉

-m.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 17:018 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I think is has to be Paco De Lucia, well undoubtedly. A true Spanish flamenco player who developed his own style, nouvo flamenco, and came from a family of players. He was touring by aged 13! He couldn't read music proficiently until 1991 either, so he is a true player from the ears and heart, and widely recognised as the greatest alive. I can't disagree wit ...[text shortened]... d to ever pick up a plectrum - his style is more fluent and faster, when needs be... 😉

-m.
    Well, I agree with that! Here is a youtube of him from 1976:

YouTube

A Bulerias.

Just for comparison, here is Sabicas:

Very traditional

YouTube

And more Paco:

YouTube

La Barrosa

And the younger generation:

I think this kid is 11. Julio Silpitucla
    You have to listen to spanish talking heads at first.

YouTube

And another one from the same kid, incredible!
    YouTube

And this guy, Juanjo Dominguez, a tango virtuoso:

YouTube

And one more from Juanjo:

Seems pretty frigging virtuosic to me!

YouTube

Ever hear of Vicente Gomez? composer and player from the 1950's: His own Alegrias

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree