Moves
    20 Feb '13 11:55
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 12:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w30TFlJiRKA
    Never was a terribly talented child. This child is a prodigy indeed. Can't wait to see him grow into an even more awesome pianist. Wonderfully vibrant personality as well! I'd be proud to be his father! Thanks for posting!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 14:21
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Never was a terribly talented child. This child is a prodigy indeed. Can't wait to see him grow into an even more awesome pianist. Wonderfully vibrant personality as well! I'd be proud to be his father! Thanks for posting!
    In the first piece he played you could hear some boo boo's, missing the exact key and such but he was also hip to dynamics, amazing for such a young kid!
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 14:411 edit
    In the first piece he played you could hear some boo boo's, missing the exact key and such but he was also hip to dynamics, amazing for such a young kid!
    Programmed to win or lose, at parents' discretion. I taught in China, and they all want a Lang Lang or such like. I find it insincere of parents, and wonder how the eventual burn-out affects these so called 'prodigies', as there are not that many left by the age of 20 or beyond, and this is nothing new.

Please consider that aspect. Yes, great for now...... but.... 😲

-m.

And, in Edit: Here's the other end of the Asian robot chain.....

YouTube&NR=1&feature=endscreen

What say ye??

😉
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 00:04
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Programmed to win or lose, at parents' discretion. I taught in China, and they all want a Lang Lang or such like. I find it insincere of parents, and wonder how the eventual burn-out affects these so called 'prodigies', as there are not that many left by the age of 20 or beyond, and this is nothing new.

Please consider that aspect. Yes, great for now.... ...[text shortened]...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhetvLOBOOo&NR=1&feature=endscreen

What say ye??

😉
    No doubt and in effect that is why I comment on the child's vibrant personality. He seems well adjusted and full of life, appears happy indeed. There are those who burn out even before then, but there are also those who succeed and become quite happy. It is less controversial in my mind however, than a Jon Benet Ramsey style exploitation which leaves the child nothing. This at least leaves a timeless skill!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 11:171 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    No doubt and in effect that is why I comment on the child's vibrant personality. He seems well adjusted and full of life, appears happy indeed. There are those who burn out even before then, but there are also those who succeed and become quite happy. It is less controversial in my mind however, than a Jon Benet Ramsey style exploitation which leaves the child nothing. This at least leaves a timeless skill!
    There are still those who overcome the burnout era and go on to win competitions and such like this South Korean girl:
    YouTube

And it doesn't look like this kid has suffered much in the burnout area:
    YouTube
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 12:331 edit
    There are still those who overcome the burnout era and go on to win competitions and such like this South Korean girl:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ayFj_gWWE

And it doesn't look like this kid has suffered much in the burnout area:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNTXE9e5ok
    Every task, endeavor, craft, art, even the most worthy carries risk of burnout. On the flip side there is also ample possibility for opening a door/window into immortality. Beethoven's father was the penultimate stage parent/cheerleader, tiresome, terrible vicarious dreams kind of a father. Not only wanted virtuosity, but for young Ludwig to be the next Mozart and even falsified his birth certificate to make him seem younger. Failed but gave us perhaps history's greatest musician. Music is pre and post Beethoven the same way a thought is but a germinal idea and is exemplified in the music before the master. Once Beethoven exploded onto the scene in Vienna, after laying in wait writing Mozartean style pieces finally erupts into who we know in his Eroica Symphony, changing music forever. Therefore, identifying talent and "exploiting" it may lead to greatness. If we simply step back and let children light their own sparks we may end up with indolence and sloth.

Wonderful musicianship evidenced by both guitarists. Some may not attain greatness unless starting very young!
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 13:09
    Here's my effort in the Christmas School Event.

Apologies for the sound, but the elementary and kindergarten levels were there, and very excited... with much noise.

The sound system was not working, so I couldn't plug in and it was via a choir microphone unadjusted to guitar, so it picked up all the surrounding sounds. 🙁

But a Fair EFFORT I would like to think, on my part.. ?? 😉

YouTube&feature=youtu.be

-m. 😀
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 23:28

Apologies for the sound, but the elementary and kindergarten levels were there, and very excited... with much noise.

The sound system was not working, so I couldn't plug in and it was via a choir microphone unadjusted to guitar, so it picked up all the surrounding sounds. 🙁

But a Fair EFFORT I would l ...[text shortened]... k, on my part.. ?? 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjlNNqYVGY&feature=youtu.be

-m. 😀
    Indeed the sound not optimal, but indeed an excellent effort. It is great to expose kids to the greatness of serious guitar music. You did a great service to that school! Congrats!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 11:401 edit

But a Fair EFFORT I would l ...[text shortened]... k, on my part.. ?? 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjlNNqYVGY&feature=youtu.be

-m. 😀
    Too bad the camera was not a bit closer! It sounded great in spite of that. Is that where you live, Saraburi? I lived up north in NakhomPhanom on the Mekong, at the air force base there. I was able to visit Ta Kek in Cambodia which was supposedly off limits even to civilians like me, was a great visit! Have you visited Cambodia?

How did you get involved with the Peter Samai auditorium? Do you teach at the school there?
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 01:02
    Too bad the camera was not a bit closer! It sounded great in spite of that. Is that where you live, Saraburi? I lived up north in NakhomPhanom on the Mekong, at the air force base there. I was able to visit Ta Kek in Cambodia which was supposedly off limits even to civilians like me, was a great visit! Have you visited Cambodia?

How did you get involved with the Peter Samai auditorium? Do you teach at the school there?
    Yes, I've been teaching here for 5 years now. I'm head of ESL. Peter Samai opened the school 9 years ago, and when he died in 2009 the auditorium was built in his memory. It's a building and a half, for any school; one which Cineplex and AMC would be proud of!

The school website is : www.sjmis.ac.th - and you can see some wonderful pics of the auditorium in the galleries.

I lived in Saraburi for 3 years, and then close to Bangkok for 2 years. I lived 1 year in Phatumtani, but lost my home there in the floods - with 2.4m of water in the house for 3 months, an awful time. We recently bought a new house in Khlong Luang, Phatumtani, where we live now, and a place that has never flooded... 😉 . I'm approx 50Km from school, and my wife 30Km from her practice and University lecturing duties. All's good.

This added for interest.. : YouTube

-m. 😉
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 02:27
    Oh! and you can just make me out on this clip, bowing to the princess... 😉

Article of the auditorium opening made the Thai News!

YouTube

-m. 😉
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 04:001 edit
    Oh! and you can just make me out on this clip, bowing to the princess... 😉

Article of the auditorium opening made the Thai News!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvzww6R7OHs

-m. 😉
    I saw that clip before you posted it! Looking up the auditorium. That is you, second in line by the chairs. I wonder how long it took you to get fluent in Thai? I never got past Leo Si, Leo Qua, Nung, Song, sam, See, Ha, Ha Ha Ha🙂 Well I got Tali Baht cop? Lao Lao!
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 05:03
    I saw that clip before you posted it! Looking up the auditorium. That is you, second in line by the chairs. I wonder how long it took you to get fluent in Thai? I never got past Leo Si, Leo Qua, Nung, Song, sam, See, Ha, Ha Ha Ha🙂 Well I got Tali Baht cop? Lao Lao!
    Lol...... not bad. Leo sai, leo kwaa..... neung, song, sam, si, har, hoc, jed, bad, gao, sib.

Fluent? Took 5 years..... not an easy language!! At about 80% now..... still a lot to learn.

Yep, you spotted me well...

One of my favourites of all time. Guitar just doesn't get much better than this!

YouTube

-m. 😉
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 16:273 edits
    Lol...... not bad. Leo sai, leo kwaa..... neung, song, sam, si, har, hoc, jed, bad, gao, sib.

Fluent? Took 5 years..... not an easy language!! At about 80% now..... still a lot to learn.

Yep, you spotted me well...

One of my favourites of all time. Guitar just doesn't get much better than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaCZ106b5w

-m. 😉
    I guess that video is an example of the new flamenco, eh. Who is your favorite traditional flamenco player? I tend towards Manitas De Plata or Sabicas, totally different ends of the spectrum, eh.

Not sure if I showed you this duo, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, husband and wife duo. She uses a lot of percussion techniques derived from her study of the Bodhran, the irish drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=27kKqwIfMC4&NR=1

This is from the Dave Letterman show. They had the audience eating out of their hands!🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree