1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 16:12
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Hell, no. I can't play the guitar and while I can sing, you wouldn't want to hear it.

But I have heard people sing blues, and I've heard them sing the Blues. The difference is quite obvious. Let's not go all the way back to your namesake - styles have changed a bit, the comparison wouldn't quite wash - but let's take, say, B.B. King and Robert ...[text shortened]... ows what the blues is when you don't get taught it, but are made to feel it.

Richard
    I seen Robert Cray in concert, was really awesome, no one sings the blues like Eva
    Cassiday, i repeat, non one!

YouTube

if this dont move you man, you are not human!
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 17:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I seen Robert Cray in concert, was really awesome, no one sings the blues like Eva Cassiday, i repeat, non one!
    In the same way as 'no one plays the blues' like Eric Clapton?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 21:083 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    In the same way as 'no one plays the blues' like Eric Clapton?
    Actually, i have never heard another singer as talented in my opinion as Eva Cassidy,
    perhaps Ella Fitzgerald or maybe Julianne Regan of All about eve fame, some of the
    Irish singers are good, Loreena McKennitt and Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, even some of the
    English ones, June Tabor or Kate Rusby but Eva is just special. I am not a big fan of
    Clapton, i like Peter Green better to be honest, he was more innovative, lyrical and
    musically diverse in my opinion.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 21:236 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Hell, no. I can't play the guitar and while I can sing, you wouldn't want to hear it.

But I have heard people sing blues, and I've heard them sing the Blues. The difference is quite obvious. Let's not go all the way back to your namesake - styles have changed a bit, the comparison wouldn't quite wash - but let's take, say, B.B. King and Robert ows what the blues is when you don't get taught it, but are made to feel it.

Richard
    Try listening to the old acoustic masters, Rev. Gary Davis, Robert Johnson, Barbeque bob, Mississippi John Hurt, Charlie Patton, Sonny Terri and Brownie McGee, Hi Henry Brown, Josh White, Josh White Jr., Here is a cut from 1941 by Muddy Waters:

YouTube

Or this one, Muddy Waters, I been Troubled, Be all worried now:

YouTube&feature=related

Or Robert Johnson, Hellhound on my trail: from 1937 (bit later than some of the others like Charlie Patton.

YouTube

Try Skip James, Hard times Killin Floor: He influenced Bob Hite, RIP, lead singer from Canned Heat.

YouTube&feature=related

And one of my favorites, Son House: Dead Letter blues

YouTube
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 00:44
    Actually, i have never heard another singer as talented in my opinion as Eva Cassidy,
    perhaps Ella Fitzgerald or maybe Julianne Regan of All about eve fame, some of the
    Irish singers are good, Loreena McKennitt and Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, even some of the
    English ones, June Tabor or Kate Rusby but Eva is just special. I am not a big fan of
    Cla ...[text shortened]... reen better to be honest, he was more innovative, lyrical and
    musically diverse in my opinion.
    I don't care for Eric Clapton either. Perhaps you missed my point when I mentioned him. I reckon there would be a bunch of black American women blues singers I'd opt for before I would get anywhere near a list like Julianne Regan, Loreena McKennitt, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, June Tabor, Kate Rusby - or Eva Cassidy, for that matter, who is ok - I quite enjoyed some of her records that I used to have. Don't see her at the top of my list though. Peter Green would make my list of top 10 blues guitarists; Clapton wouldn't.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 08:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't care for Eric Clapton either. Perhaps you missed my point when I mentioned him. I reckon there would be a bunch of black American women blues singers I'd opt for before I would get anywhere near a list like Julianne Regan, Loreena McKennitt, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, June Tabor, Kate Rusby - or Eva Cassidy, for that matter, who is ok - I quite enjoyed some o ...[text shortened]... my list though. Peter Green would make my list of top 10 blues guitarists; Clapton wouldn't.
    well good for you but i don't think so, last time I looked, you neither had to be black,
    green, pink, blue or purple to sing the blues why you insist on stating that one should
    be black, i have no idea, and my list was not intended to be of blues singers, simply
    good singers, this should have been obvious to any discerning individual capable of
    rational thought. Anyway, produce anyone who can sing 'Stormy Monday', as soulful
    and with such beautiful tone as Eva Cassidy, male or female, human or alien, black or
    blue, pink or purple or admit that once again you have been caught posturing!
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 10:11
    well good for you but i don't think so, last time I looked, you neither had to be black,
    green, pink, blue or purple to sing the blues why you insist on stating that one should
    be black, i have no idea...
    I didn't state "that one should be black" or that one "had to be black" to sing the blues. You've just made that up.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 16:092 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I didn't state "that one should be black" or that one "had to be black" to sing the blues. You've just made that up.
    you could only think of black singers, after all, that is all you seemed capable of
    mentioning with regard to the blues. Eva is in my opinion unsurpassed for emotion,
    vocal expressiveness, sincerity, naturalness and ultimately beauty of tone. If you can
    find another, let me know, India Arie springs to mind but her vocals are understated,
    still, she's just not as special as Eva, sorry.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 16:13
    you could only think of black singers, after all, that is all you seemed capable of
    mentioning with regard to the blues. Eva is in my opinion unsurpassed for emotion,
    vocal expressiveness, sincerity, naturalness and ultimately beauty of tone. If you can
    find another, let me know, India Arie springs to mind but her vocals are understated,
    still, she's just not as special as Eva, sorry.
    Where did I state "that one should be black" or that one "had to be black" to sing the blues?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 16:16
    Eva is in my opinion unsurpassed for emotion, vocal expressiveness, sincerity, naturalness and ultimately beauty of tone.
    She's a good singer, I agree. I gave her albums a few spins.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 17:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    Where did I state "that one should be black" or that one "had to be black" to sing the blues?
    it appeared to me that you thought in no other terms. your words, 'I reckon there would be a bunch of black American women blues singers', one of course must ask, why black, why American?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 17:151 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    She's a good singer, I agree. I gave her albums a few spins.
    She was awesome!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 23:09
    it appeared to me that you thought in no other terms. your words, 'I reckon there would be a bunch of black American women blues singers', one of course must ask, why black, why American?
    The fact that there are several black American singers I like does not mean I stated "that one should be black" or that one "had to be black" to sing the blues as you suggested. You just made that up for some reason. And you specified that some of your favourite singers were English and that others were Irish; and yet you seem to be trying to take issue with me for having specified that some of my favourite singers were American.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 07:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    The fact that there are several black American singers I like does not mean I stated "that one should be black" or that one "had to be black" to sing the blues as you suggested. You just made that up for some reason. And you specified that some of your favourite singers were English and that others were Irish; and yet you seem to be trying to take issue with me for having specified that some of my favourite singers were American.
    whatever FMF.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 08:431 edit
    whatever FMF.
    Why do you feel you are entitled to mention that artists are English or Irish while taking issue with me for mentioning that artists are American?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree