1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 12:58
    Sadly, the American comedian George Carlin passed away yesterday at the age of 71.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/06/23/carlin.obit/index.html

Although I only found out about Carlin about 9 months ago, I was a great admirer of his work (much of which can be found on youtube, although I hesitate to post a link due to his normally profane manner). I feel sad that there will be no more new Carlin.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 16:11
    RIP George. He was a great comedian and I am very happy to have been able to see him perform in person before he passed on.

He was great at using his craft to provide scathing commentary on everything that was wrong with our society.

He helped shock society in ways that it needed to be - controversy over his "Seven Dirty Words" skit even caused an indecency case to go all the way to the supreme court.

Few have had the ability to provide the social commentary he has with the ability he did.

He will most definitely be missed.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 17:321 edit
    He was bloody brilliant!

"People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think."

- George -
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 21:22
    How do think he would have faired in the forums?
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 22:33
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    How do think he would have faired in the forums?
    He'd have kicked serious ass.
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 23:23
    All respects to Mt Carlin. I think he became quite a cranky sob and not nearly as humorous or witty as he once was. Pretty self absorbed in my book. With all due respect.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 23:28
    Originally posted by badmoon
    All respects to Mt Carlin. I think he became quite a cranky sob and not nearly as humorous or witty as he once was. Pretty self absorbed in my book. With all due respect.
    Did you see him in person recently?
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 23:35
    Just occasionally on TV, mostly on talk shows. Maybe I missed a lot.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 05:03
    I saw him on Bill Maher and some other panel discussion and he talked like a man who was in the early stages of dementia. I prefer to think that he was sick and not that he was just a bitter old man. Some of his stuff from the 70s was better than any comedian of his day.
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 07:00
    George Carlin was probably my favorite disillusioned Catholic.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 12:22
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    George Carlin was probably my favorite disillusioned Catholic.
    Indeed, and there are many to choose from. Makes me glad I'm a Protestant.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 12:28
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I saw him on Bill Maher and some other panel discussion and he talked like a man who was in the early stages of dementia. I prefer to think that he was sick and not that he was just a bitter old man. Some of his stuff from the 70s was better than any comedian of his day.
    I saw him in concert in person about a year ago and he was amazing. He went through a whole notebook of new material and he was lucid.

He does rant, but that's what he does.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 14:59
    Well, he definitely was cranky and he'd probably call himself a s.o.b.

When I saw him in concert was 69 I think and one of the first things he said was that he was now an "old #$(#@".

His specialty was standup really and not every standup comedian goes easily to TV - especially when you're as used to swearing a blue streak like Carlin was.

I thought he did pretty well in the movie Dogma though. He was one of the few good things about that movie.
  14. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 17:50
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Well, he definitely was cranky and he'd probably call himself a s.o.b.

When I saw him in concert was 69 I think and one of the first things he said was that he was now an "old #$(#@".

His specialty was standup really and not every standup comedian goes easily to TV - especially when you're as used to swearing a blue streak like Carlin was.

I t ...[text shortened]... d pretty well in the movie Dogma though. He was one of the few good things about that movie.
    Let's not forget his turn in bill and ted's excellent adventure. He also narrated the thomas the tank engine show for a while. What a shame.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 00:07
    My sentiments also. I had his albums in the early 70's, especially AM/FM but in the last 8 or 10 years he just stuck me as being cynical and not funny.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree