Godsmack vs. Metallica

Godsmack vs. Metallica

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houston, Texas

Moves
27 Feb 11

I love the black album, but overall I kind of like Godmsack better than Metallica. Any other opinions?

Knife Wielder

In the shadows...

Moves
27 Feb 11
1 edit

Godsmack never has released anything worth hearing, and Metallica hasn't in well over a decade...

You asked for opinions, there's mine.

Is this in the right forum?

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
27 Feb 11

Originally posted by Pariah325
Godsmack never has released anything worth hearing, and Metallica hasn't in well over a decade...

couldn't agree more with that statement

s

Moves
27 Feb 11
1 edit

Originally posted by moon1969
I love the black album, but overall I kind of like Godmsack better than Metallica. Any other opinions?
Godsmack is competent, but nothing truly makes them standout. I prefer Metallica any day!

Here's an Iraqi band worth a listen:

Houston, Texas

Moves
28 Feb 11

Originally posted by Pariah325

Thanks for the opinion. By the way, I intentionally originally included this post in the clan forum because thought might be a better chance to get attention of members from the clan champion Metallica, and to get more attention in general.

Anyway, Godsmack has released a lot of songs worth hearing, that I and millions of other people like. Moreover, I like their sound overall better than Metallica. But I do respect your opinion.

In the last 15 years, Godsmack is the number one selling hard rock band in terms of albums (CDs) sold, more than Metallica or Linkin Park, for example.

From wikipedia:

"The band [Godsmack formed in 1995] has had three consecutive number one albums (Faceless, IV, and The Oracle) on the Billboard 200. The band also has parked a ratified 19 top ten rock radio hits, including 15 songs in the Top Five. A record breaking amount of top ten singles by any other rock artist.

. . . Godsmack have sold over 17 million records in just over a decade, yet despite the decline of CD sales in recent years, they have proven to be one of the highest-grossing artists in the United States."

s

Moves
28 Feb 11

Originally posted by moon1969
Thanks for the opinion. By the way, I intentionally originally included this post in the clan forum because thought might be a better chance to get attention of members from the clan champion Metallica, and to get more attention in general.

Anyway, Godsmack has released a lot of songs worth hearing, that I and millions of other people like. Moreover, I ...[text shortened]... ecent years, they have proven to be one of the highest-grossing artists in the United States."
Well clan Metallica doesn't look like they're taking the bait. Thanks for being so respectful in your response. Few remain in the forums willing to be so polite. Like I said Godsmack is quite competent and do sell lots of records, yet we shouldn't confuse commercial success with quality. They are very, very good to be sure, but I don't hear a lot that truly stands out or beats my socks off. May be simple matter of taste. I admire the great musicianship in metal bands and Godsmack is no exception. I wish this would create contagion for regular rock bands, but it never has. Sounds like we shall not persuade one another at any rate. Perhaps we should listen to one anothers preferences more intently.

Knife Wielder

In the shadows...

Moves
28 Feb 11

I'm glad you respect my opinion, I respect yours as well. I do not think Godsmack is terrible, just not my cup of tea, not my thing. I grew up on metal and hard rock, and Godsmack always fell into the category of what we knew as "mall-metal." The thirteen year old kids at the mall's type of rock. It's rock with an edge, but it's still kind of a 'mass-media friendly' vibe in disguise. Disturbed is another good example of this (though their guitarist has his moments...) And I do like some of what I would lump into this category. A lot of it can be good, actually, it's just what you are wanting to hear...

But, to quote Orwell, "sanity is not statistical." By arguing that a band is good based on album sales isn't fair. Justin Beiber would be an amazing musician by that standard. And Britney Spears. Who really stomaches that crap? No one who has hit puberty yet... but their albums sell off the charts. Basically, I'm saying don't tell me how many people like a band, but tell me _why you_ like the band. I hope that makes sense. I respect your taste in music, I don't expect or want anyone to have the same tastes as me, as i said, they just aren't my cup of tea...

K

Germany

Moves
28 Feb 11

I don't care much for Godsmack, and the comparison is a little odd to me. Bands of a different generation, surely? Black album isn't terrible, but their creativity had run dry by then. 80s albums are good.

rc

Moves
28 Feb 11
1 edit

I used to love metal, the whole genre is now a crashing bore.

s

Moves
28 Feb 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I used to love metal, the whole genre is now a crashing bore.
Laying down the gauntlet? Ya Brits would have no metal were it not for Metallica! Punk, yes. Metal, no!

rc

Moves
28 Feb 11
1 edit

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Laying down the gauntlet? Ya Brits would have no metal were it not for Metallica! Punk, yes. Metal, no!
We done with it man! Metallica arent metal! they are a pretty boy band, like Take That, or Boyzone!

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
28 Feb 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
We done with it man! Metallica arent metal! they are a pretty boy band, like Take That, or Boyzone!
I'll take Bad Brains.

rc

Moves
28 Feb 11

Originally posted by badmoon
I'll take Bad Brains.
what a groovy band, guitar playing on I against I was awesome. A stranger cornucopia of differing flavours all mixed into one.