Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 11 Sep '13 02:19
    Lucia di Lamermoor will make most anyone fall in love with opera the way it did me. Gaetano Donizetti was truly a master of his craqft!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CNT83K9D8

    This performance has the wonderful and gorgeous Netrebko, but her usual leading man, Rolando Villazon was sick and unable to sing.

    Enjoy!
  2. 11 Sep '13 13:43
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Lucia di Lamermoor will make most anyone fall in love with opera the way it did me.
    Tried.

    Didn't work.
  3. 12 Sep '13 11:14
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Tried.

    Didn't work.
    Try again. Concentrate on first act. Work through the garden scene. Or perhaps the tomb scene. The quartet preceding the mad scene. Repeat as needed. Pay attention to the wonderful harp in prelude to garden scene, the incredible ensemble number between Lucia and Edgardo in the garden scene. Then repeat again and again.
  4. 12 Sep '13 12:36
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Try again. Concentrate on first act. Work through the garden scene. Or perhaps the tomb scene. The quartet preceding the mad scene. Repeat as needed. Pay attention to the wonderful harp in prelude to garden scene, the incredible ensemble number between Lucia and Edgardo in the garden scene. Then repeat again and again.
    Nothing says appreciation and enjoyment quite like brainwashing.
  5. 12 Sep '13 22:03
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Nothing says appreciation and enjoyment quite like brainwashing.
    Explain? What brainwashing?
  6. Subscriber Pianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    13 Sep '13 05:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Try again. Concentrate on first act. Work through the garden scene. Or perhaps the tomb scene. The quartet preceding the mad scene. Repeat as needed. Pay attention to the wonderful harp in prelude to garden scene, the incredible ensemble number between Lucia and Edgardo in the garden scene. Then repeat again and again.
    Good try, scacchipazzo! However, Opera is not for all. Horses for courses and all that. I have a blind spot for the screaming Punks of the 80's. Just don't get it. So I guess there are those who are by nature predisposed to lack the opera gene, or who have been so damaged in their youth by negative nurture brainwashing that it would take a Herculean task of self-discovery to unpeel it!
  7. 13 Sep '13 11:42
    No doubt you're right. Sometimes I know not why I even bother, but in this case I was baited and took the hook, line and sunk! I should have known better. There is no opera gene. It is an acquired taste like many fine things are. I doubt any of us would have liked the foods we do today or even wine without some slow mental training. Un-training from punk may never happen for some because it has become a true love. Thus is music. Perhaps it is destiny for some. I enjoy heavy metal as I have come to understand it better through my son's band, for example. I refuse only rap and hip hop as I consider these degenerate genres. We have a local bluegrass festival every fall and I can't wait for it is musicianship of the finest we get exposed to with some forms of pop music.
  8. Subscriber Pianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    13 Sep '13 13:20
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    No doubt you're right. Sometimes I know not why I even bother, but in this case I was baited and took the hook, line and sunk! I should have known better. There is no opera gene. It is an acquired taste like many fine things are. I doubt any of us would have liked the foods we do today or even wine without some slow mental training. Un-training from pun ...[text shortened]... n't wait for it is musicianship of the finest we get exposed to with some forms of pop music.
    No. I jest about the "opera gene". Or do I? Interesting thought. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself very open minded and have in my collection music from most genres. I just love music in its many guises, and as a pianist I draw my inspiration from a huge repertoire of world music from rock, glam rock, pop, boy bands, girl bands, jazz, blues, soul, R & B, Bluegrass, Bangra, Arabic and Indian Fusion etc. etc. However, that said, I do consider Punk to be an appalling musical dead end that almast killed popular music with its mindless, banal, simplistic, three chord chord ranting at the world.
  9. 13 Sep '13 13:54
    *huge eye roll*
  10. 16 Sep '13 10:34
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    No. I jest about the "opera gene". Or do I? Interesting thought. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself very open minded and have in my collection music from most genres. I just love music in its many guises, and as a pianist I draw my inspiration from a huge repertoire of world music from rock, glam rock, pop, boy bands, girl bands, jazz, blues, soul, R & ...[text shortened]... d popular music with its mindless, banal, simplistic, three chord chord ranting at the world.
    Fine music genes clearly are absent in some as these gens are substituted by petty-puerile-sarcasm(not you, by the way) genes. It is good to enjoy a little of most music and nothing wrong with hating some genres, and I do agree with your take on punk, but still consider rap and hip hop far worse. I am far less open minded about music and consider modern pop simplistic, banal, mediocre and sad. Miley Cyrus comes to mind, but Katie Perry is not far behind. My son has been dabbling in jazz guitar alongside metal and making efforts at blending both. Not bad combined.