1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '09 23:16
    My son wants an electric guitar for X-Mas. Anybody out there rec one of the above over the other? These come in a kit deal with amp, gig case, pics, stand, headphones and instructional video(DVD). You professional musicians out there have any rec's?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 00:352 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    My son wants an electric guitar for X-Mas. Anybody out there rec one of the above over the other? These come in a kit deal with amp, gig case, pics, stand, headphones and instructional video(DVD). You professional musicians out there have any rec's?
    either or will do, especially if its a first guitar. depends what the boy shall be playing as well. Is he a blues man, or a jazz man, or a metal man? Squire Strat sounds great through a fuzz box, as will the Epiphone, its simply a matter of taste.

send the specifications or a link and many shall be able to advise. if he is learning, headphones are a must!
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 01:121 edit
    I know the kits. I agree with Robbie, if it's his first guitar either'll do. If he's got chops then pay for the upgrades and start to teach him about marijuana and girls. Coolest son ever.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 01:52
    I'm a Gibson and Marshall guy, but I bought a little Fender kit a few years ago that kicks butt. That's the way to go, in my experience.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 03:22
    http://www.musician.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack?sku=518677

http://www.musician.com/product/Fender-SE-Special-Strat-Value-Pack?sku=513287

Thanks everyone. Great idea to post links. Both cost $199.00 and free shipping.

The boy seems impervious to being lured into drugs and not quite yet interested in girls! Good student and great kid so he deserves a good X-Mas present. The Strat pack comes with headphones.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 08:10
    Headphones won't do things any justice to things. He'll want to learn about controlling tone as well as how to play, so I don't recommend getting into the habit of playing with them. Better that he have somewhere to play which doesn't require them, so I wouldn't use their presence as a buying bonus.

Otherwise, get either. Check if the amps have a reverb knob, I've bought both these kits in the past and the Marshall amp which came with the epiphone had no reverb control.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 12:26
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Headphones won't do things any justice to things. He'll want to learn about controlling tone as well as how to play, so I don't recommend getting into the habit of playing with them. Better that he have somewhere to play which doesn't require them, so I wouldn't use their presence as a buying bonus.

Otherwise, get either. Check if the amps have a rev ...[text shortened]... kits in the past and the Marshall amp which came with the epiphone had no reverb control.
    The headphones will be a must because of his mother. These amps do not have reverb, not in this price range. He will have plenty of time to practice with the volume and other knobs while mom is at dance practice and other activities. I think his interest in music is beyond the superficial as he just wrote a killer essay on Roger Waters of Pink Floyd and got a great grade for it. BTW, thanks to you and all others who responded for the great feedback!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 12:342 edits
    The headphones will be a must because of his mother. These amps do not have reverb, not in this price range. He will have plenty of time to practice with the volume and other knobs while mom is at dance practice and other activities. I think his interest in music is beyond the superficial as he just wrote a killer essay on Roger Waters of Pink Floyd and ...[text shortened]... ot a great grade for it. BTW, thanks to you and all others who responded for the great feedback!
    he likes Pink Floyd? get the stratocaster, he can play 'the wall', simply by learning the d minor chord and strumming it appropriately, sounds great on a strat! also try to check if there is overdrive, which i think there is on the fender amp, in case he needs to fuzz it up! Dave Gilmour plays a strat and a telecaster, with awesome sound!
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 16:491 edit
    My brother's first electric guitar was a Fender Squire (the white Wayne's World Squire Strat in fact!), and it sounded decent and played well. These days, there are so many great guitars and practice amps it's hard to go wrong. My personal preference is Fender-style guitars for both sound and feel. I used to recommend the Yamaha Pacifica to my student's parents as beginner guitars because the workmanship and sound quality is noticeably better than Fender's low-end entries. It looks like they have a beginner's package as well:

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/guitarpackages/EGBLKIT/keyfeatures.jsp

You may also want to consider finding a used guitar on eBay or Craig's List, you might be able to pick up a deal. If you're going to buy the guitar and amp separately, I recommend something with built-in amp modelling and effects like a Roland Cube 30 (I own this one and it's great for practice) or a Line 6 Spider IV 15. They're slightly more expensive than the 10W, 6" speaker amps, but not that much more expensive, and honestly there's no comparison sound-wise - a DSP practice amp blows a straight-ahead transistor amp out of the water. Don't feel like you have to go this route though, my first amp was a Fender Bullet and I loved it despite the distortion channel sounding like a hot cardboard sandwich. 😀
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:47
    Originally posted by PBE6
    My brother's first electric guitar was a Fender Squire (the white Wayne's World Squire Strat in fact!), and it sounded decent and played well. These days, there are so many great guitars and practice amps it's hard to go wrong. My personal preference is Fender-style guitars for both sound and feel. I used to recommend the Yamaha Pacifica to my student's pare ...[text shortened]... loved it despite the distortion channel sounding like a hot cardboard sandwich. 😀
    Thanks for the rec! Do you know what the product ight be called in the USA? I tried entering the model# in the Yamaha USA website and it does not give me anythng comparable.

I like Yamaha products. Always good and priced right! Whatever I end up getting I'm sure my son will love it!
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 23:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    he likes Pink Floyd? get the stratocaster, he can play 'the wall', simply by learning the d minor chord and strumming it appropriately, sounds great on a strat! also try to check if there is overdrive, which i think there is on the fender amp, in case he needs to fuzz it up! Dave Gilmour plays a strat and a telecaster, with awesome sound!
    Good advice. The Strat style beginner guitars seem the more likely way to go. Thanks for the Pink Floyd advice indeed!
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 00:22
    Thanks for the rec! Do you know what the product ight be called in the USA? I tried entering the model# in the Yamaha USA website and it does not give me anythng comparable.

I like Yamaha products. Always good and priced right! Whatever I end up getting I'm sure my son will love it!
    Try this: http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=60152&CTID=5068500
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 01:22
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Try this: http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=60152&CTID=5068500
    Thanks for trying. All Yamaha starter kits have been discontinued in the USA.

I think based on preponderance of the evidence I will go with the Strat kit!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree