1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 14:34
    Today, "The Hobbit" turns 75: it was published on September 21st, 1937.
    Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Bilbo's own birthday, and he will therefore be 75 as well. It's not quite eleventy-one, but still, good going for a character we only know because a 10 year old Rayner Unwin liked the book.

Richard
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 14:50
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Today, "The Hobbit" turns 75: it was published on September 21st, 1937.
    Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Bilbo's own birthday, and he will therefore be 75 as well. It's not quite eleventy-one, but still, good going for a character we only know because a 10 year old Rayner Unwin liked the book.

Richard
    When I was in Jr. High (in the mid-70s), I would walk by the Utica Cemetery on my way to school. One day on my way home I noticed a tattered paperback in a bush by the fence. I pulled it out and found it was something called 'The Hobbit'. That was the first time I had heard of Tolkein.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 15:591 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    When I was in Jr. High (in the mid-70s), I would walk by the Utica Cemetery on my way to school. One day on my way home I noticed a tattered paperback in a bush by the fence. I pulled it out and found it was something called 'The Hobbit'. That was the first time I had heard of Tolkein.
    Did you read it? Born in what, '61? You must be approaching old fartness then🙂
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 17:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you read it? Born in what, '61? You must be approaching old fartness then🙂
    Yes, I read it. I was hooked immediately. 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy and a long infatuation with D&D followed soon thereafter.

I was born in '63.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 20:45
    One of literature's happy moments and a great piece of writing for youngsters everywhere and people who have reached old fartedness indeed!
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 21:59
    Ballad of Bilbo Baggins by Leonard Nimoy
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree