1. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 18:48
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]I think that there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training. Without this realization, there is ignorance. It seems like this is true of anything that requires abstract thought and depth of understanding.

This sounds suspiciously like a secret-decoder ring ...[text shortened]... hem.

Nemesio[/b]
    What insipid desolate garbage.
  2. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 18:50
    It's been my experience that those who have developed an understanding of "modern art", be it music, visual arts, dance, etc. can move from one to the other relatively easily. I think that there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training. Without this realization, there is ignorance.
    It seems like this i ...[text shortened]... Dörner slide trumpet
    Franz Hautzinger quartertone trumpet
    Nice ambient music, yes it's music.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 19:26
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    What insipid desolate garbage.
    Troll.
  4. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 21:131 edit
    If you say so. Now let's get back to this idea that only Western music is music and that music is only about tension and release of tension, or else resolution to the tonic and that all music must be rigorously defined and/or rigorously catergorized or else it isn't just really music, at least in yer neck of the woods, that is.
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 21:25
    If you say so. Now let's get back to this idea that only Western music is music and that music is only about release and tension, or else resolution to the tonic and that all music must be rigorously defined and/or rigorously catergorized or else it isn't just really music, at least in yer neck of the woods, that is.
    Find a dictionary and look up the word "music".
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 21:37
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Find a dictionary and look up the word "music".
    Most dictionaries have too little space to provide a useful entry. An encyclopedia might be more useful.
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 02:15
    If you say so. Now let's get back to this idea that only Western music is music and that music is only about tension and release of tension, or else resolution to the tonic and that all music must be rigorously defined and/or rigorously catergorized or else it isn't just really music, at least in yer neck of the woods, that is.
    Red herring = fallacy
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 02:235 edits
    [b]I think that there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training. Without this realization, there is ignorance. It seems like this is true of anything that requires abstract thought and depth of understanding.

This sounds suspiciously like a secret-decoder ring hem.

Nemesio[/b]
    "The idea that the 'realization' cannot be articulated or explained strikes me as a copout."

I didn't say that. What I did say was that "there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training." There is a difference. That said however, there are certain concepts requiring abstract thought and depth of understanding that seem to be extremely difficult to impart. Take chess for example.

"All we have are just the contrivances of composers who spend their lives doing what I was able to do in fifteen minutes after a semester of computer music."

lol. Spoken like someone totally without a clue. I can't tell you how many software engineers fresh out of university I've come across who thought themselves as producing professional quality software but couldn't - especially projects requiring abstract thought and depth of understanding. Believe it or not, all of them with even more than one semester and an 'A' to show for it. Somehow the ones who couldn't discern the difference between what they were producing and professional quality software never did seem to be able to do it. The 'realization' never quite happened for them. For the majority it wasn't because of a lack of intelligence. Care to guess what held them back?
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:12
    I didn't say that. What I did say was that "there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training." There is a difference. That said however, there are certain concepts requiring abstract thought and depth of understanding that seem to be extremely difficult to impart. Take chess for example.

Again, it's a secret-decoder ring theory: it's hard to explain, but if you try really hard, it's there.

Perhaps you can begin to enlighten me.

Spoken like someone totally without a clue. I can't tell you how many software engineers fresh out of university I've come across who thought themselves as producing professional quality software but couldn't - especially projects requiring abstract thought and depth of understanding. Believe it or not, all of them with even more than one semester and an 'A' to show for it. Somehow the ones who couldn't discern the difference between what they were producing and professional quality software never did seem to be able to do it. The 'realization' never quite happened for them. For the majority it wasn't because of a lack of intelligence. Care to guess what held them back?

I guess you're saying my piece wasn't any good, that it was not in fact a good example of the
    computer music medium. Of course, if you can't define what makes for 'good' in computer
    music, then we have no way of knowing.

Yes, an 'A' doesn't mean proficiency, especially in America where A's are now 'average' rather
    than C's. That having been said, with very little experience, I did 'create' a 'piece' of music
    which was rather indistinguishable from the ones you gave me. What does this tell you about
    the music? It tells me that it doesn't require a great deal of expertise or creativity.

You asked me to listen to the pieces and for my reaction. I was hoping you would do the same,
    since this is a dialogue. If you are just going to insult me for thinking this stuff isn't music,
    then why persist in this thread. If you want to share your experience or knowledge in this field
    in the hope that I might too come to appreciate this genre of organized sound, then perhaps you
    should stop insulting me.

Nemesio
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:18
    [b]"The idea that the 'realization' cannot be articulated or explained strikes me as a copout."

I didn't say that. What I did say was that "there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training." There is a difference. That said however, there are certain concepts requiring abstract thought and depth of ...[text shortened]... asn't because of a lack of intelligence. Care to guess what held them back?[/b]
    The music you are referring to here requiring a special realization to appreciate is nothing more than ambience. You might as well say that somebody needs a special enlightenment to appreciate the ambient sounds of sand and surf while lounging oceanside, which is patently absurd. It is what it is, nothing more. But at least the sand and the surf don't have any artistic pretensions, which is probably why the "Relaxing Sounds of Nature" albums sell better.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:231 edit
    [b]I didn't say that. What I did say was that "there is a "realization" that needs to occur that doesn't necessarily come with university training." There is a difference. That said however, there are certain concepts requiring abstract thought and depth of understanding that seem to be extremely difficult to impart. T ound, then perhaps you
    should stop insulting me.

Nemesio
    [/b]"Again, it's a secret-decoder ring theory: it's hard to explain, but if you try really hard, it's there. Perhaps you can begin to enlighten me."

I'm having enough trouble just trying to get you to understand the difference between what you inferred I said and what I actually said.

"That having been said, with very little experience, I did 'create' a 'piece' of music which was rather indistinguishable from the ones you gave me. What does this tell you about the music?"

What it tells me is that evidently YOU are incapable of distinguishing the difference. By the way, the answer to the question as to "what held them back" is arrogance. In case you missed it, I'm drawing a parallel here.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:37
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    The music you are referring to here requiring a special realization to appreciate is nothing more than ambience. You might as well say that somebody needs a special enlightenment to appreciate the ambient sounds of sand and surf while lounging oceanside, which is patently absurd. It is what it is, nothing more. But at least the sand and the surf don't ...[text shortened]... tistic pretensions, which is probably why the "Relaxing Sounds of Nature" albums sell better.
    "Once I remember being handed a score composed by Mozart at the age of eleven. What could I say? I felt like de Kooning, who was asked to comment on a certain abstract painting, and answered in the negative. He was then told it was the work of a celebrated monkey. 'That's different. For a monkey, it's terrific.'"
  13. Illinois
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:41
    "Again, it's a secret-decoder ring theory: it's hard to explain, but if you try really hard, it's there. Perhaps you can begin to enlighten me."

I'm having enough trouble just trying to get you to understand the difference between what you inferred I said and what I actually said.

"That having been said, with very little experience, I ...[text shortened]... held them back" is arrogance. In case you missed it, I'm drawing a parallel here.
    ThinkOfOne, the conversation you're having with Nemesio right now is beginning to sound remarkably similar to the one you and I had. Except in our conversation you were telling me that I needed a special realization in order to understand the Bible the way you do. Is this how you end all your conversations? Let me guess, pretty soon you're going to accuse Nemesio of arrogance, then Nemesio is going to point out that you're the one being arrogant, then you'll pretend that you've been misunderstood, then Nemesio will say he understands you just fine but that you're avoiding answering his questions, then you'll call him an ignorant hypocrite, and on and on and on... 😞

Why don't we just skip all that, avoid wasting our time, and you can go some place else with your bogus sense of superiority intact. Deal? This thread actually has some potential, and it would be nice not to foul it up right now.
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:43
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    The music you are referring to here requiring a special realization to appreciate is nothing more than ambience. You might as well say that somebody needs a special enlightenment to appreciate the ambient sounds of sand and surf while lounging oceanside, which is patently absurd. It is what it is, nothing more. But at least the sand and the surf don't ...[text shortened]... tistic pretensions, which is probably why the "Relaxing Sounds of Nature" albums sell better.
    You're doing a better job of expressing what I'm thinking than I am 😕

We talk of 'the music of the surf,' but when I say that, I mean it metaphorically. That doesn't
    mean I don't find the sound of the sea beautiful -- I do, very much in fact, just as I find certain
    landscapes are beautiful. But I wouldn't call real landscapes art, just as I wouldn't call noises
    made by nature music (with, perhaps, the exception of whale songs, which I think are very likely
    music, even though I cannot understand it).

Do the tracks that ThinkOfOne asked me to listen to create a certain ambiance? Of course they do.
    I find that ambiance uninteresting and uncreative, just as I find a canvas covered in brown paint
    uninteresting and uncreative.

The question is, why can I listen to the 'uncreative' and 'uninteresting' noises of the sea and find
    beauty, but am unable to do the same with the uncreative and uninteresting noises of humans?
    I think there are two elements to the answer: 1) One's pleasure with the sounds of the sea and
    surf is directly connected to the paradisal experience one usually has with the beach, and I think
    it's intellectually dishonest to try to divorce that aspect from the independent sensory aspects of
    it; and 2) The sea's noises are 'uncreated' in the sense that no sentient being makes the waves
    crash, the gulls chirp, the sound of the water receding from the sand (let's keep theology out of
    this, for simplicity's sake). As Epiphineheas said, it is what it is. There is no 'creative' to be
    considered. For humans, however, there is a creative process, and some processes are more
    creative than others. So, when a composer writes something that can be easily replicated by
    someone as untrained as I am (not to mention uninterested), then we have to question the merit
    of the work.

Now, if one wants to posit that music need not be creative, then that would be something of a
    new perspective for me.

Nemesio

P.S., I'm not saying that I think Epiphinehas agrees with me, just that his post helped to clarify
    something in my own mind.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 03:49

If you find that many people don't understand you, don't you think it might be a deficiency on
    your part, rather than on every other person's part? Are you even opened to that possibility?

Are you saying that you are not going to share your experiences of this 'music' with me?

What it tells me is that evidently YOU are incapable of distinguishing the difference. By the way, the answer to the question as to "what held them back" is arrogance. In case you missed it, I'm drawing a parallel here.

So you only plan to insult me? Just say that, and I'll know not to respond. If you want to
    discuss culturally relevant things, then please take a different tack. I'm not in the Debates
    forum, nor the Spirituality Forum. I really think that people discussing art should be able to
    have a conversation about the art forms that mean something to them without resorting to
    insults.

So you think I'm arrogant and that this arrogance is obstructing my ability to appreciate this
    organized sound. Okay, if you aren't going to share your experience with this medium in an
    effort to help me understand, I'll ignore the insult, and what makes you believe that I am
    arrogant and, if this is true, why my arrogance would get in the way of music?

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree