1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    04 May '10 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    I wonder how much money MIA had to pay the band Suicide for using Suicide's music to "Johnny"

(The rolling stones had to pay KD land about a million for using the sound to KD's "Constant Craving" in the stone's "Anybody seen my baby" song.)
    I wonder how much the Stones got when the Verve used "too much" of a sample from "The Last Time" for their hit "Bittersweet Symphony"?

EDIT: Ha! Apparently Mick and Keith based "The Last Time" on The Staples Singers' "This May Be The Last Time", which itself is a version of a traditional gospel song! Some poor bastard isn't getting paid for the Stones' biggest hit since "Brown Sugar". 😉
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 May '10 17:49
    I wonder how much money MIA had to pay the band Suicide for using Suicide's music to "Johnny"

(The rolling stones had to pay KD land about a million for using the sound to KD's "Constant Craving" in the stone's "Anybody seen my baby" song.)
    "Ghost Rider"

Not "Johnny" (?)
  3. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    05 May '10 17:09
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Hip-Hop artist M.I.A. has released a video for the first single "Born Free".

It can be seen here. It is extremely NSFW and contains graphic images:
    www.miauk.com

It has stirred plenty of controversy and discussion. Clearly, the artist knows how to play the publicity game. I am wondering what people's opinions of the video are.

Myself, I find it ...[text shortened]... o understand the so-called political statement being made. The song, however, is fantastic.
    Why do people hate gingers?!

😛

That was pretty terrible. I don't like seeing kids like that. Hurts my mommy side.
  4. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    06 May '10 00:44
    I watched the video again. Notice the soldiers have US flags on their uniforms.

Born free. If you live in the US. Is that the message? Only here are you born free, otherwise we don't care about you. We suck. Why is it that redheads were vilified in the video? There's no rationalization. Perhaps them just as well anyone else for all we care. Whatever our agenda calls for.

Those are my thoughts. I was thinking of the video all day.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 May '10 15:59

www.miauk.com

It has stirred plenty of controversy and discussion. Clearly, the artist knows how to play the publicity game. I am wondering what people's opinions of the video are.

Myself, I find it ...[text shortened]... o understand the so-called political statement being made. The song, however, is fantastic.
    I think the message is obvious:

Red-headed males are lousy sprinters.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 May '10 23:05
    "Ghost Rider"

Not "Johnny" (?)
    Right! Damn got the wrong song name.

Totally Ghost Rider sample/rip off.

Wonder if Suicide will get any recompense?
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 May '10 23:23
    Hey Uzless - Extra points for you if you can tell me what sample is used in the song!
    ha, i just saw this post now. I knew I'd heard it before off that suicide album.

Here's the youtube link to suicide's song before anyone goes ga-ga over MIA's version. Seriously, did MIA get permission to do this? I assuming she did.

YouTube
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 May '10 02:24
    Seriously, did MIA get permission to do this? I assuming she did.
    Of course.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 May '10 11:461 edit
    It's well shot, but I've no idea what it or the song have to do with each other. I suspect that the Director had the idea irrespective of the song. I've no idea what the political message is and I suspect the Director is a little wishy washy about that as well.

It was okay, but I'm not sure why anyone would be up in arms about it.

Using gingers to clear minefields sounds like an excellent plan, though.
  10. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    10 May '10 13:22
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Using gingers to clear minefields sounds like an excellent plan, though.
    Hilarious. Can't wait until more casually discriminatory little zingers like this cross the pond, we're running out of groups to sideline.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 May '10 14:26
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Hilarious. Can't wait until more casually discriminatory little zingers like this cross the pond, we're running out of groups to sideline.
    Guys who drink beer from small glasses...
  12. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    10 May '10 14:34
    Guys who drink beer from small glasses...
    ...or consume garlic bread with cheese as a food group...
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 May '10 08:42
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Has humour died in Canada?
  14. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 22:22
    Late to thread. Have a theory on this vid, but would probably be permabanned if i explained it. Move along.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    27 Jun '10 02:33

www.miauk.com

New South Effing Wales?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree