Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    04 Jul '11 23:02
    That's the genre that came up when I put 'the Dirty Three' onto my HD.
    (The Dirty Three are a 3 piece without a singer. Just violin, guitar and (jazz)drumming).

    Anyone know of any other bands that come under this genre?

    Also, anyone know of any other 'speicialized genres' like that one?
  2. 08 Jul '11 01:37 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    That's the genre that came up when I put 'the Dirty Three' onto my HD.
    (The Dirty Three are a 3 piece without a singer. Just violin, guitar and (jazz)drumming).

    Anyone know of any other bands that come under this genre?

    Also, anyone know of any other 'speicialized genres' like that one?
    Looked them up and they are extremely talented, thanks.

    I won't categorize the whole band's collection, but from the songs that caught
    my ear it sounds like they were partly influenced by old country Irish and
    Welsh/English ballads. They slowed them down plenty, but the original old school
    progressions are still there.

    YouTube

    Quoted from Wiki.

    "The Dirty Three's sound is distinctive, composed of folk melody, rock energy,
    elements of classical, chamber music, jazz and blues, Celtic, and other European
    folk styles - a diverse collection of influences, though the style of music the trio
    play is uniquely their own, born from years of musical experience."

    edits: sorry I didn't answer your questions.
  3. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    11 Jul '11 01:25
    Originally posted by MrksMonkey
    Looked them up and they are extremely talented, thanks.

    I won't categorize the whole band's collection, but from the songs that caught
    my ear it sounds like they were partly influenced by old country Irish and
    Welsh/English ballads. They slowed them down plenty, but the original old school
    progressions are still there.

    http://www.youtube.com/w ...[text shortened]... n, born from years of musical experience."

    edits: sorry I didn't answer your questions.
    Very good live too. I've had the pleasure of seeing them inside and outside. When they played outside the wind was knocking over the cymbols and mike stands quicker than the lone roadie could pick them up, meanwhile Kim Salmon (of the Scientists and Kim Salmon and the Surrealists), who was doing some vocals , was climbing a lighting rig with the mike in his mouth. All through this the Dirty 3 didn't skip a beat . even the drummer who always happened to find something to hit when his highhat wasn't there.lol
  4. 11 Jul '11 16:05
    That "genre" name sounds like gibberish, but The Dirty Three are pretty good.
  5. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    13 Jul '11 17:09
    Check out their In the Fishtank collaboration with Low...
  6. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    14 Jul '11 08:01
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That "genre" name sounds like gibberish, but The Dirty Three are pretty good.
    So where does the title come from? How do these genres appear under my albums that I buy?
  7. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    14 Jul '11 08:02
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Check out their In the Fishtank collaboration with Low...
    Another fine band (Low). Perhaps a bit of "Maritime post rock" there ,eh? 🙂
  8. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    14 Jul '11 17:39
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Check out their In the Fishtank collaboration with Low...
    The cover of Down by the River on that album is simply breathtaking.
  9. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    14 Jul '11 17:43
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So where does the title come from? How do these genres appear under my albums that I buy?
    Someone makes it up for a laugh.
  10. 17 Jul '11 16:30
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So where does the title come from? How do these genres appear under my albums that I buy?
    Just stuff that people make up.
  11. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    26 Jul '11 02:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Someone makes it up for a laugh.
    Well I want to call my music something like that. Who wants to be lumped in with "punk" ? 😛😀😀
  12. 28 Jul '11 01:49
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Well I want to call my music something like that. Who wants to be lumped in with "punk" ? 😛😀😀
    I wouldn't want to be labeled 'post rock' even with any other nice adjectives thrown in.

    But maritime music is very real, in a geographical sense though.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_the_Maritimes

    And everyone knows this song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
    YouTube

    That's way over-played. I want to hear an old England country song written about the Titanic.