Mendelssohn octet

Mendelssohn octet

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
06 Feb 11

One of history's unique works of art. Pretty dang good for a 20 year old composer!

d

Moves
17 Feb 11

thank you for the really great version of the octet on youtube....it made me go to my old record collection where I resurected the musical heritage society 1115 version by the Die Wiener Solisten which I obtained in the 70's. I'm listening to it now as I wright this. I havent heard it is years. The album indicates Felix was 16...quite amazing indeed...thank you again for pointing this masterpiece out.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Feb 11
3 edits

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSmSYIvq094

One of history's unique works of art. Pretty dang good for a 20 year old composer!
Listening to it now. The third movement has a feel of the later Midsummer Nights Dream, don't you think? The comments are funny, like the one saying the cello player had the look of death to anyone making a mistake🙂

Do you know if the original work was done with double bass? They made a big deal out of it in the title.

Wiki says he was 16 when he composed both pieces!

Here is the Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Mendelssohn

I think this bunch was cheating🙂:

Full chamber orchestra of Kremlin:

s

Moves
17 Feb 11
1 edit

Originally posted by dustycat
thank you for the really great version of the octet on youtube....it made me go to my old record collection where I resurected the musical heritage society 1115 version by the Die Wiener Solisten which I obtained in the 70's. I'm listening to it now as I wright this. I havent heard it is years. The album indicates Felix was 16...quite amazing indeed...thank you again for pointing this masterpiece out.
Indeed you're right. Published when he was 20, but 16 when he wrote it. Mendelssohn was a real genius and as precocious as Mozart almost!

BTW, you're welcome!

s

Moves
17 Feb 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Listening to it now. The third movement has a feel of the later Midsummer Nights Dream, don't you think? The comments are funny, like the one saying the cello player had the look of death to anyone making a mistake🙂

Do you know if the original work was done with double bass? They made a big deal out of it in the title.

Wiki says he was 16 when he com ...[text shortened]... ting🙂:

Full chamber orchestra of Kremlin:

Indeed you're right. 16 when writing it but 20 when publishing it. I think the original was written for a double string quartet, ie, no double bass. It does have a lot of MSND in it indeed! Both are remarkable works for such a young composer. I cannot remember comparably mature music pieces by Mozart at the same age. I belive Mozart was sligthly older when writing the Jeunnehomme Piano concerto (#9 in E-flat, K271). Edit: Just checked. Not even close. Mozart was 21 when he wrote the concerto. I guess his violin concertos are fairly good for a 17 year old.

Why do you think they were cheating?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Feb 11

Indeed you're right. 16 when writing it but 20 when publishing it. I think the original was written for a double string quartet, ie, no double bass. It does have a lot of MSND in it indeed! Both are remarkable works for such a young composer. I cannot remember comparably mature music pieces by Mozart at the same age. I belive Mozart was sligthly older w ...[text shortened]... his violin concertos are fairly good for a 17 year old.

Why do you think they were cheating?
If it says 'octet' I would assume it wants 8 players, not a full chamber orchestra!

s

Moves
18 Feb 11

If it says 'octet' I would assume it wants 8 players, not a full chamber orchestra!
There's two versions of the work, both known as "octet", one for a double string quartet and one for chamber orchestra.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Feb 11

There's two versions of the work, both known as "octet", one for a double string quartet and one for chamber orchestra.
Ah, I stand corrected.

s

Moves
19 Feb 11

Ah, I stand corrected.
Most consider it more of a string symphony than either an octet or chamber orchestra piece. Either way it is a wonderful piece of music. The subtlety of the writing comes through better in the smaller chamber ensemble. It is one of my favorite musical works, but then I love Mendelssohn. Have you ever heard Schubert's octet? Another wonderful work! Different ensemble, but gorgeously written indeed. Another genius!