1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 02:04
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    lol. Nice try.

The following is much more appropriate:
    "Your trademark snobbery blinds you to the fact that Jackson's pop was far far better at being pop than McDonald's fast food is at being fast food."

I'll let you figure out where you went wrong.
    Whatever. You don't like pop music or Adam Sandler. How very very interesting.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 02:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Whatever. You don't like pop music or Adam Sandler. How very very interesting.
    Seems like this is little more than a weak attempt to save a little pride.

I think you know as well as I do that that wasn't my point.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 02:25
    Seems like this is little more than a weak attempt to save a little pride.

I think you know as well as I do that that wasn't my point.
    It has long been clear to me that you are one of those people who likes to define "good" in a way that precludes the tastes and experience of as many people as possible. Yours is not an original or particularly compelling hobby horse. But if it floats your boat, then that's OK. I dislike Jackson's music and I am nonplussed by the adulation it garnered. I am dazzled by the communicative and technical brilliance with which it was carried off. To claim he is "not an artist" reveals ignorance of what is entailed in producing something like "Thriller". Sheer artistry. Not that its content appeals to me. I personally prefer music that almost everyone else I know thinks is awful - jazz, for instance. But I don't feel any psychological need to poo poo things that are popular. For you to suddenly turn this into a snide question of whether I am making 'a weak attempt to save a little pride' having had the audacity to disagree with you, says more about your mindmap than it does about mine.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 02:383 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    It has long been clear to me that you are one of those people who likes to define "good" in a way that precludes the tastes and experience of as many people as possible. Yours is not an original or particularly compelling hobby horse. But if it floats your boat, then that's OK. I dislike Jackson's music and I am nonplussed by the adulation it garnered. I am dazz audacity to disagree with you, says more about your mindmap than it does about mine.
    "For you to suddenly turn this into a snide question of whether I am making 'a weak attempt to save a little pride' having had the audacity to disagree with you, says more about your mindmap than it does about mine.

What does the following sound like to you? You seem like someone who can probably be honest with himself. You'd do well to exercise that ability now.
    "Whatever. You don't like pop music or Adam Sandler. How very very interesting."

Following it up with more of the same does little to change that.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 03:10
    Following it up with more of the same does little to change that.
    The fact that you don't like pop music or Adam Sandler is not an especially interesting revelation. Your dispproval has no significance in terms of pop music. And your disapproval has no significance in terms of Adam Sandler. It has no significance in terms of other people's appreciation for Michael Jackson or for Adam Sandler. I don't care for Michael Jackson or for Adam Sandler either. I don't disapporove of them. I just don't like them. This means nothing in terms of what those two people have produced or in terms of what other people make of what they have produced. You seem to want to make this about my 'pride' when it is clearly about yours. You are apparently the kind of snob who absolutely loves being a snob, and then also absolutely loves being accused of it so that you can deny it in a way that proudly puts others in their place in exactly the way that snobs like to do. My pride has got nothing to do with it.

Tell us, is there any pop music that you think is excellent pop music?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 03:302 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    The fact that you don't like pop music or Adam Sandler is not an especially interesting revelation. Your dispproval has no significance in terms of pop music. And your disapproval has no significance in terms of Adam Sandler. It has no significance in terms of other people's appreciation for Michael Jackson or for Adam Sandler. I don't care for Michael Jackson o to do with it.

Tell us, is there any pop music that you think is excellent pop music?
    Well, maybe you can't be honest with yourself. At least not just now.

Give it a day and then reread our chain of posts. You've had quite the stream of personal attacks, flawed arguments, straw man arguments, etc.

Wouldn't it have been much easier to have just admitted that your arguments were flawed? What stopped you from making such an admission? What's stopping you now?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 03:561 edit
    Well, maybe you can't be honest with yourself. At least not just now.

Give it a day and then reread our chain of posts. You've had quite the stream of personal attacks, flawed arguments, straw man arguments, etc.

Wouldn't it have been much easier to have just admitted that your arguments were flawed? What stopped you from making such an admission? What's stopping you now?
    God. You sound like me on those days when I've got no ideas.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 07:57
    Here it is - Jacko tancended pop music in the 80's. He changed it. So in he is great in that regard.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 08:45
    I think my compass direction with MJ is the pedophile thing. Why is he any better than say Gary Glitter? Just because MJ is a weak-minded and self-loathing purveyor of some brilliant pop, does not excuse him of being a predator of juveniles.

It’s probably better that he died now rather than humiliating himself on tour by failing to live up to his legend – maybe he new that.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 10:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Just because MJ is a weak-minded and self-loathing purveyor of some brilliant pop, does not excuse him of being a predator of juveniles.
    An interesting and clearly pertinent comment. However, I am not aware of anyone here at RHP, or on this thread, 'excusing' him for his inexcusable paedophilic acts. Are you perhaps reacting to people talking too much about his flawless art but not talking enough about the far from flawless artist himself?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 10:34
    Jackson concert promoters coy on refunds

The organisers of Michael Jackson's 50 comeback tour dates in London remained guarded on Saturday about refunds for ticket holders following the singer's death.

Jackson fans from around the world had rushed to snap up tickets for the 'This Is It' performances at London's O2 Arena which were due to start on July 13.

The reclusive star made his final public appearance to unveil the sellout gigs in March.

Reports in Britain say about STG50 million ($A101.77 million) pounds has been spent on 750,000 tickets.

Promoters AEG Live made no comment immediately following Jackson's death, but a spokeswoman for the company said late on Friday: "On behalf of the entire AEG organisation we extend our deepest condolences to Michael Jackson's family and friends during this tragic time.

"Full ticket refund information and procedures will be released early next week for all Michael Jackson 'This Is It' shows.

"Fans are advised to hold on to their ticket vouchers/proof of purchase."

Most tickets for the concerts cost between STG50 ($A101) and STG75 ($A152).

While fans who bought from official outlets are likely to be reimbursed, those who obtained tickets from other sources could lose out.

Tony Northcott, a spokesman for British consumer body the Trading Standards Institute, said: "Sales coming through a third party like eBay or a man in the pub will be on sticky ground.

"If sales are through a third party, then the terms and conditions disappear."

Trading website eBay, where tickets had fetched prices of up to STG1,300 ($A2,646), has urged customers to contact the individual sellers to discuss a refund.

The Times newspaper reported on Saturday that AEG had hoped to recoup much of the estimated STG10 million ($A20.35 million) it would have cost to stage the concerts from merchandising and corporate entertainment.

With that possibility now quashed, question marks also remain over the extent of AEG's liability for the Jackson concerts.

Quoting industry sources, the Times said insurers could face a bill of around STG50 million ($A101.77 million), but that was expected to be a fraction of the cost to AEG of cancelling the 50 dates and leaving the O2 venue empty for months.

Most estimates put the figure at STG300 million ($A610.62 million).

The president of AEG Live, Randy Phillips, had said the company was insured for "the first 23 days" of the run and negotiations were ongoing to increase that.

Article here: Reveal Hidden Content
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5684799
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    An interesting and clearly pertinent comment. However, I am not aware of anyone here at RHP, or on this thread, 'excusing' him for his inexcusable paedophilic acts. Are you perhaps reacting to people talking too much about his flawless art but not talking enough about the far from flawless artist himself?
    Of course sorry, not directed at anyone. Just general comment amounst all the media and worldwide public hand-wringing.

PS: Doesn't Uri Geller get on your bloody nerves!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:05
    PS: Doesn't Uri Geller get on your bloody nerves!
    He gets me all bent out of shape.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    He gets me all bent out of shape.
    Didn't see that one coming!

He's just always seems to be there at the scene of the accident, like a creepy collector of roadkill.
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 16:28
    Didn't see that one coming!

He's just always seems to be there at the scene of the accident, like a creepy collector of roadkill.
    I think he has completed his skin dyeing and is whiter than white , put on 6 stone ,shaved his head and faked his death !!!!
    You wait and see !!!😉😉😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree