Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 14:44
    Originally posted by Seitse
    The Airplane Flies High

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zn5h_AT-NA

This is a hard call, since they have most of the few worthy pieces
    made during the 90s.
    You might want to revise that. Siamese Dream and Gish were the only worthwhile albums.

There were tonnes of other stuff from the 90's that were way better.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 14:53
    Originally posted by uzless
    You might want to revise that. Siamese Dream and Gish were the only worthwhile albums.

Risky call, since Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a collection piece and way superior to the fool-trap trash for the musically disoriented, e.g. Nirvana.
  4. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 15:36
    Originally posted by uzless

yeah, they went seriously self-indulgent after those two albums.

and yes, a lot of the really good 90s stuff just slipped under the mainstream radar.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 17:41
    Sorry, Thru the Eyes of Ruby wins this one hands down.
  6. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:09
    Risky call, since Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a collection piece and way superior to the fool-trap trash for the musically disoriented, e.g. Nirvana.
    Nevermind, In Utero and especially Unplugged were just as good as anything SP's did. That's just my opinion, and probably isn't shared by most people, but saying they couldn't write music seems a little harsh and uncalled for.

I still plan on getting Mellon Collie, though, and probably Siamese Dream at some point.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Nevermind, In Utero and especially Unplugged were just as good as anything SP's did. That's just my opinion, and probably isn't shared by most people, but saying they couldn't write music seems a little harsh and uncalled for.
    Dude, that's the funny thing: ZILLIONS of people (including Rolling Stone journalists who repeat like robots something that they may not get very well) share your opinion.

What I find amazing is that many people who dig Nirvana do it (at least partially and IMO) because it has a halo of "not mainstream" and rebellious when its marketing was precisely that, creating some sort of an awful irony. Cobain was just a big cliché. It's even sort of "politically correct" to affirm that Nirvana kicks butt!

But hey, man, it's about tastes, and yours is as respectable as mine. I just think Nirvana and its leading clown are overrated.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sorry, Thru the Eyes of Ruby wins this one hands down.
    "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans". Even "Tonight, Tonight" if you hurry me up 🙂
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:27
    Cobain was just a big cliché.
    To be fair, Cobain and Nirvana "created" that cliché. It wasn't a cliché during their time. Like it or not, Nevermind brought heavier music to a much broader audience. And I'm not talking just about sales volumes, I'm talking about the influence in shaping the musical tastes of its generation and those that followed.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:29
    "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans". Even "Tonight, Tonight" if you hurry me up 🙂
    I have to agree, Porcelina is also pretty amazing. Their talent for epic love songs was amazing at that time. Tonight, Tonight is a great tune, but still I wouldn't put it on the same level.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:332 edits
    To be fair, Cobain and Nirvana "created" that cliché. It wasn't a cliché during their time. Like it or not, Nevermind brought heavier music to a much broader audience. And I'm not talking just about sales volumes, I'm talking about the influence in shaping the musical tastes of its generation and those that followed.
    I think it is very interesting what you point out.

I can accept that Cobain and Nirvana "popularized" that cliché, but only "popularized" since it was even more achieved (in all senses) by Eddie Veder individually (even though the music part was owed to Ament and Gossard*) or Soundgarden as a whole, way before Nirvana materialized as we know it.

* I've been unfair leaving out of the whole thread "Ten", a precious album indeed.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 18:39
    I think it is very interesting what you point out.

I can accept that Cobain and Nirvana "popularized" that cliché, but only "popularized" since it was even more achieved (in all senses) by Eddie Veder individually (even though the music part was owed to Ament and Gossard*) or Soundgarden as a whole, way before Nirvana made it to Geffen.

* I've been unfair leaving out of the whole thread "Ten", a precious album indeed.
    Pearl Jam is absolute cack. Besides, they published their first album after Nirvana did so I don't see how Cobain just "popularized" anything.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 19:07
    Pearl Jam is absolute cack. Besides, they published their first album after Nirvana did so I don't see how Cobain just "popularized" anything.
    Point taken.

Yet, what can you say about Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone, Ament and Gossard's band?

They were (and are), after all, Pearl Jam's musical column.
  14. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 19:51
    Dude, that's the funny thing: [b]ZILLIONS of people (including Rolling Stone journalists who repeat like robots something that they may not get very well) share your opinion.

What I find amazing is that many people who dig Nirvana do it (at least partially and IMO) because it has a halo of "not mainstream" and rebellious when its marketing was precisel ...[text shortened]... ours is as respectable as mine. I just think Nirvana and its leading clown are overrated.[/b]
    I actually agree that their 'popular' songs are pretty over-rated, especially Smells Like Teen Spirit, which I absolutely hate. But I didn't start listening to them because they are 'in' or to be rebellious or anything, I like them for their music. People who like them because other people do are idiots who should listen to something else. Probably a good thing Cobain isn't around to see what's happened. I don't think he'd appreciate it very much...

Pearl Jam is also very over-rated. The only stuff I enjoy from them mostly came off of 'Vs'.

And Soundgarden is good. Very cool stuff, Chris Cornell's best effort.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 20:36
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I actually agree that their 'popular' songs are pretty over-rated, especially Smells Like Teen Spirit, which I absolutely hate. But I didn't start listening to them because they are 'in' or to be rebellious or anything, I like them for their music. People who like them because other people do are idiots who should listen to something else. Probably a go ...[text shortened]... of 'Vs'.

And Soundgarden is good. Very cool stuff, Chris Cornell's best effort.
    Then I guess it bothers both of us that some people blindly and stupidly idolize Cobain, as if the guy was some sort of semigod.

I remember I went to a party a couple of days after the guy died, and I made a joke about how underground the body would smell not exactly like teen spirit. Damn, a handfull of youngsters jumped on me because of my lack of respect for "the spokesman of our generation". I thought they were going to lapidate me. A teen girl almost cried.

Idiots.

*searches for puking emoticon*

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree