1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 09:44
    Besides the Oscars discrediting themselves when they gave "Forrest Gump" best picture over "Pulp Fiction", there was nothing wrong with their choice this year. "No country for old men" was the best film I've seen the last year. Best ending too (not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but certainly note worthy).

Admittedly, I've not seen "There will be blood" yet, but that just came out here last week... I'll be seeing it the coming days though and may have to revise this post.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 18:27
    Anyone see My Fair Lady last night on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)?
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 21:07
    Well, I went to see "There will be blood" today.

Mediocre at best.
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 22:06
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Well, I went to see "There will be blood" today.

Mediocre at best.
    WHAT?!?!

Tell us what you didn't like. What did you think of DDL?
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 05:161 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

Verdict: Excellent!
    yes, a brilliant film. saw it twice at the cinema and have it on DVD now as well. the juxtaposition of fantasy and weighty reality elements seems to be popular lately, with Narnia and Terabithia also coming out in recent years.
  6. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 05:29
    I am surprised one of last years westerns didn´t get a nomination. Unfortunately it seems the Oscar goes to films with late year release dates. That is hardly reflective of the year as a whole and seems to be more of a marketing exercise for the industry.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 11:04
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    WHAT?!?!

Tell us what you didn't like. What did you think of DDL?
    The story was way too long and way too slow.
    Basically we've got a man with a mean streak digging for oil. That's it.

DDL was good. It was well acted. I liked the preacher boy as well (no, not in that way).

The whole story line just didn't grasp me, I guess. Nor did I find the end shocking.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 11:221 edit
    What I don't understand is how such a puff like that "Diablo Cody" can receive any recognition for such lame, simplistic and boring writing, gosh.

It only demonstrates that the Oscars, as Sick Boy said, are just a meaningless sympathy vote.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 13:14
    Originally posted by Seitse
    What I don't understand is how such a puff like that "Diablo Cody" can receive any recognition for such lame, simplistic and boring writing, gosh.

It only demonstrates that the Oscars, as Sick Boy said, are just a meaningless sympathy vote.
    I agree. Juno was a nice film, but hardly anything in it could be described as brilliant.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 14:23
    I still lean to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly as the best of the bunch. But a really strong group in my opinion.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 15:591 edit
    Just went to see "The waterhorse" and "rendition".

The Water horse (I dunno if the water and the horse are written together or separately) was okay. For a kid's film.
    Pity the ending is so guessable. It would have been better if they dipped Nessie in batter, deep fried her and then served her to the fat American tourists as a national dish.
    But that's just me.

Rendition was pretty good. Nice little chronology twist at the end.
    And it highlights a pretty atrocious state of world affairs. And Reese... dear oh dear... even highly pregnant she's still completely shaggable.

The Water-Horse (still can't make my mind up if it's joined or not): 6 out of 10
    Rendition: 8 out of 10.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 17:58
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Its a good story with great character development from the lead girl.
    Ahem. Yes. Her "character development" is indeed impressive.

Jokes aside, it's an excellent film. Perhaps my favourite of last year. Ang Lee gets back into form after the disappointing Hulk and Brokeback Mountain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree