1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 21:343 edits
    Lyrics should be thought of as a seperate entity that has no correlation to the song. You can either like the lyrics, or you can like the song from a musical standpoint. You can like both at the same time but they are two separate and distinct items.

I used to love the song "Prison Sex" by Tool and "Lullaby" by The Cure until I actually read the lyrics one day. Such happy and cool "sounding" songs are now sad depressing songs when i hear them. I feel like I was robbed of something I enjoyed.

Now, I specifically try not to pay attention to the words but rather just listen to the words as if they were another instrument without deriving the meaning of those words. That's likely why i like songs in different languages too.

Anyone like me on this one?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 21:58
    When I listen to music, I actually understand maybe 10% of the lyrics - enunciation is not a strong suit with most singers.

Sometimes I'll put on one of the Spanish stations on the satellite radio (I can read most Spanish, but I can't understand any of it when spoken (or sung)). So I generally have no idea what a given song is about and care not one bit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree