Music Lyrics

Music Lyrics

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Well, remember I haven't said they were objectively important, only important to the listener xymself. An example of lyrics which I think are the major factor in a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs
Great. Something I can't look at.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Great. Something I can't look at.
It's all relative anyway. 😞

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
29 Sep 09

Can you at least provide an example of so-called important lyrics?
I'd say most Smiths songs. Morrissey wrote some pretty interesting lyrics, but he sings like Kermit the Frog getting a ham-job (the rest of the music is usually good though...).

d

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by PBE6
I'd say most Smiths songs. Morrissey wrote some pretty interesting lyrics, but he sings like Kermit the Frog getting a ham-job (the rest of the music is usually good though...).
So you like The Smiths but hate Morrissey's voice? Hard to separate the two, in my opinion. If anything, this is an example I would use to support my own view. For me, Morrissey's unique voice is a major part of what makes the Smiths who they are, not what he was singing.

I do love the lyrics to 'The Headmaster Ritual' though. Probably one of my more favourite Smiths songs.

S

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
It's all relative anyway. 😞
Agreed, I'm not sure what can be gained by it.

Darv I'm not attempting to label which songs have important lyrics, only that there are songs in which for me (and I presume I'm not the only one) the lyrics are an important part.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
29 Sep 09

So you like The Smiths but hate Morrissey's voice? Hard to separate the two, in my opinion. If anything, this is an example I would use to support my own view. For me, Morrissey's unique voice is a major part of what makes the Smiths who they are, not what he was singing.

I do love the lyrics to 'The Headmaster Ritual' though. Probably one of my more favourite Smiths songs.
Fair enough. I just doubt many people listen to the Smiths with the aesthetic pleasure gained from the focusing on the tone of Morrissey's voice as the main reward (i.e. I'm sure many more people say "what a great song!" than "what a great voice!" ).

d

Moves
29 Sep 09

Fair enough. I just doubt many people listen to the Smiths with the aesthetic pleasure gained from the focusing on the tone of Morrissey's voice as the main reward (i.e. I'm sure many more people say "what a great song!" than "what a great voice!" ).
Are you sure about that? I would have to disagree and say that most Smith fans are big fans of Morrissey's voice. Me being one of them.

M

Moves
29 Sep 09

a "bad voice" can be an important aspect of a song

would Bob Dylan's music have had the same appeal if he had a "great voice"?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
29 Sep 09

Are you sure about that? I would have to disagree and say that most Smith fans are big fans of Morrissey's voice. Me being one of them.
I would like to wager on this, yes. I will buy you one (1) pint of your choice if you can demonstrate that the majority of Smiths fans, when played a Smiths song and then asked "so, what do you think?", would answer "Morrissey has a great voice" instead of "what a great song" (variations thereof approved for the purposes of this discussion). However, if you lose, you have to send Morrissey a tube steak by registered mail. You are free to interpret "tube steak" as you wish, any way you slice it I think he'll still find it to be a conundrum.

Deal?!?~

d

Moves
29 Sep 09
1 edit

I would like to wager on this, yes. I will buy you one (1) pint of your choice if you can demonstrate that the majority of Smiths fans, when played a Smiths song and then asked "so, what do you think?", would answer "Morrissey has a great voice" instead of "what a great song" (variations thereof approved for the purposes of this discussion). However, if you l u wish, any way you slice it I think he'll still find it to be a conundrum.

Deal?!?~
Damnit! I wish we had the ability to poll in these forums.

I wouldn't agree to that bet though, because I think "What a great song" could also mean "What a great voice" and the results would be skewed.

A better poll question would be:

If you like the Smiths, what, in your opinion, is their best feature?

Or something like that...

I bet Morrissey's voice would rate higher than any other answer.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Agreed, I'm not sure what can be gained by it.

Darv I'm not attempting to label which songs have important lyrics, only that there are songs in which for me (and I presume I'm not the only one) the lyrics are an important part.
I was mocking your position, by the way.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
29 Sep 09

I wouldn't agree to that bet though, because I think "What a great song" could also mean "What a great voice" and the results would be skewed.
Since when does "what a great song" mean "what a great voice"?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes
a "bad voice" can be an important aspect of a song

would Bob Dylan's music have had the same appeal if he had a "great voice"?
Interesting question. Would Joni Mitchell's music have had the same appeal if she had a "terrible voice"? Who knows? The Smiths did alright. 😉

I think Starrman makes an interesting point. Music is not simple, music appreciation even less so. Do people respond to one particular element of a song and ignore the rest? Sometimes. Do people disregard songs if they find one element objectionable? Sometimes. Do people find joy in things others despise? Often. Will someone try to force their musical opinion on you and claim your opinion is "wrong" if you disagree? Always. You'll do it to someone sometime, too.

S

Moves
29 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
I was mocking your position, by the way.
Gee, just when I thought we were getting along for a change.

d

Moves
30 Sep 09

Since when does "what a great song" mean "what a great voice"?
I'm just saying it could, not that it's always the case.