Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 May '11 05:17
    Nimoy was no Landau.

I'm talking Mission:Impossible here.
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 May '11 11:45
    Sure. But you should be talking Space: 1999.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 May '11 12:03
    ========= thread hijacked =========
  4. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 May '11 12:12 / 1 edit
    SWAT teams will arrive in 5...4...3...

Seriously, Space: 1999 was one of my favourite shows when I was a young'un. I imagine that, like most of these shows, it has aged terribly and so I refuse watching it again.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 May '11 12:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Space: 1999 was one of my favourite shows when I was a young'un. I imagine that, like most of these shows, it has aged terribly and so I refuse watching it again.
    I'm running through Mission:Impossible again at the moment and I reckon it's aged pretty well. I used to like Space: 1999 too. And U.F.O. And The Survivors. And Star Trek when it was syndicated in the early 70s. And Dr.Who. And The Invaders. And The Prisoner.
  6. 28 May '11 00:24
    But didn't Nimoy win the chess game even after the computer broke down? That was awesome!
  7. 29 May '11 14:07
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    But didn't Nimoy win the chess game even after the computer broke down? That was awesome!
    Pah. Even I can win against a computer that's broken down. (Don't ask about computers that are still working. Please.)

Richard
  8. 29 May '11 19:26
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Pah. Even I can win against a computer that's broken down. (Don't ask about computers that are still working. Please.)

Richard
    No, no, no! Back then the organization the heroes worked for had a secret computer that could not lose even to the evil Russian champion. So Nimoy impersonated a chess champion and played a crucial game. I don't remember why it was in America's interest to win, but it was. And so he was wearing glasses from which the good guys were broadcasting the moves to him. But then something went wrong, so Nimoy had to win the endgame on his own!

I mean is that awesome or what?!
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 May '11 09:20
    No, no, no! Back then the organization the heroes worked for had a secret computer that could not lose even to the evil Russian champion. So Nimoy impersonated a chess champion and played a crucial game. I don't remember why it was in America's interest to win, but it was. And so he was wearing glasses from which the good guys were broadcasting the moves ...[text shortened]... ng went wrong, so Nimoy had to win the endgame on his own!

Aren't you talking about ""A Game of Chess", Episode 17 of Series 2, when Martin Landau had not yet been replaced by Leonard Nimoy in the cast.
  10. 30 May '11 19:06 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Aren't you talking about ""A Game of Chess", Episode 17 of Series 2, when Martin Landau had not yet been replaced by Leonard Nimoy in the cast.
    Actually, Nimoy was so adept at being the "master of disguise" that most were completely unaware that he had already replaced Landau as of the start of the second season. This thread would be better titled as "Landau was no Landau".
  11. 31 May '11 07:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Uh oh. Is my memory failing me?

Okay, so which one of them won the poker game, when that cheating scheme also failed?
  12. 31 May '11 12:11
    No, no, no! Back then the organization the heroes worked for had a secret computer that could not lose even to the evil Russian champion. So Nimoy impersonated a chess champion and played a crucial game. I don't remember why it was in America's interest to win, but it was. And so he was wearing glasses from which the good guys were broadcasting the moves ...[text shortened]... ng went wrong, so Nimoy had to win the endgame on his own!

Cheating is what it is. They should sick Greenpawn on him.

Richard
  13. 31 May '11 15:17
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Cheating is what it is. They should sick Greenpawn on him.

Richard
    Yeah, but the fact that we had a secret computer way back in 1968 or whenever, which could beat a world champion - that's awesome!
  14. 12 Jun '11 21:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nimoy was no Landau.

I'm talking Mission:Impossible here.
    That's a good thing.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    20 Jun '11 21:23
    Originally posted by Palynka
    SWAT teams will arrive in 5...4...3...

Seriously, Space: 1999 was one of my favourite shows when I was a young'un. I imagine that, like most of these shows, it has aged terribly and so I refuse watching it again.
    The Prisoner is still good.