Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member StTito
    The Mullverine
    16 Sep '09 12:16
    Can you think of a band in the last 20 years that changed the scope of rock and roll so profoundly?
  2. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    16 Sep '09 12:33
    Nirvana sucks.

    Nirvana changed nothing but the sense of belonging of a clueless generation of mentally weak and musically impaired sniveling brats, too rich and comfy to really know what pain and desperation really mean.
  3. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    16 Sep '09 12:34
    ===================THREAD CLOSED=======================
  4. 16 Sep '09 12:50
    Originally posted by StTito
    Can you think of a band in the last 20 years that changed the scope of rock and roll so profoundly?
    The answer to your thread title question is no.

    The answer to the question in the thread is no.

    But both are not the same question.
  5. 16 Sep '09 12:51
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Nirvana sucks.

    Nirvana changed nothing but the sense of belonging of a clueless generation of mentally weak and musically impaired sniveling brats, too rich and comfy to really know what pain and desperation really mean.
    Your trolling sucks.
  6. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    16 Sep '09 13:18
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Your trolling sucks.
    Touched a nerve, uh?

    I bet you still pilgrim to Seattle and get bent on top of his grave by some grunge-looking rear cowboy.

    Butt boy.
  7. 16 Sep '09 13:25
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Touched a nerve, uh?

    I bet you still pilgrim to Seattle and get bent on top of his grave by some grunge-looking rear cowboy.

    Butt boy.
    You're trying too hard. I'm just trying to help.
  8. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    16 Sep '09 13:35
    Originally posted by darvlay
    You're trying too hard. I'm just trying to help.
    There are different types of trolling.

    I'm like the Kaufman of trolling, so to speak.
  9. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Sep '09 15:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    There are different types of trolling.

    I'm like the Kaufman of trolling, so to speak.
    Gerald Kaufman, you mean?

    Edit (as it's a British thing): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Kaufman
  10. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    16 Sep '09 17:05
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Gerald Kaufman, you mean?

    Edit (as it's a British thing): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Kaufman
    Andy.
  11. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    16 Sep '09 17:41 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by StTito
    Can you think of a band in the last 20 years that changed the scope of rock and roll so profoundly?
    Nope. But what's really sad is that there hasn't been another band in the last 20 years to do so. 20 YEARS!! No other period in modern times (since the 50's) have we gone so long between a band (or bands) that changed the course of music.


    Where is the new Messiah??
  12. 16 Sep '09 17:45
    Originally posted by uzless
    Where is the new Messiah??
    Honest question here: Do you care if there's ever another so-called Messiah?

    I don't. I'm at an age where I know what I like and I rarely go without new music to listen to. I don't think you'll find many kids out there who aren't savvy enough to find their own music, not like the days of old.

    There will never be another Messiah.
  13. 16 Sep '09 17:46 / 1 edit
    By the way, Messiahs are typically anointed by God, not record companies.

    The Beatles are truly the only Messiahs of music who ever existed.
  14. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    16 Sep '09 17:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Honest question here: Do you care if there's ever another so-called Messiah?

    I don't. I'm at an age where I know what I like and I rarely go without new music to listen to. I don't think you'll find many kids out there who aren't savvy enough to find their own music, not like the days of old.

    There will never be another Messiah.
    Not sure that is the point. I'm talking about the future of music. Does it have one?


    Pre 1950 - Motown records/Big band/classical music/Gershwin etc dominated
    50's - The dawn of Rock and Roll..Chuck Berry and the guitar debut
    60's - psychadellic music takes over...The doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground, Beatles etc
    70's - Hard Rock - Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, Who, ACDC
    70's - Punk Music takes off.. Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols
    70's - Also see rise of Disco and Surf Music --Bee gees, Beach Boys
    80's - Hair bands/Metal take over. Metallica/Def Leopard/Bon Jovi GNR etc
    80's - Electronic music debuts - Petshop Boys, New Order Depeche Mode
    90's - Alt Rock/grunge...Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Janes Addiction
    90's Electrronic Music peaks with Rave explosion....Prodigy, NIN, Chemical Brothers etc

    00's- Present.......who has taken over the mantle??? Can you name ANYONE??


    EDIT: Yes, I do care because I get bored very easily of "new" bands that sound similar to what i've heard before. If you look at the chart above this, you can see pretty distinct sounds. The new bands of today sounds very similar to what has come before. Are we just out of new sounds? Is there nothing left to do? Have we reached what many people say happened to Art (paintings/sculpture) meaning that there was nothing left to paint or scultp that hadn't been done or re-interpreted already?

    Is new music destined to just take from the proverbial parts bin of time from now on?
  15. 16 Sep '09 18:26
    Originally posted by uzless
    Not sure that is the point. I'm talking about the future of music. Does it have one?


    Pre 1950 - Motown records/Big band/classical music/Gershwin etc dominated
    50's - The dawn of Rock and Roll..Chuck Berry and the guitar debut
    60's - psychadellic music takes over...The doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground, Beatles etc
    70's - ...[text shortened]... ew music destined to just take from the proverbial parts bin of time from now on?
    Everything is derivative from its predecessors. There was nothing entirely NEW about so-called Alt or Grunge or Punk or New Wave or Rave or Classic Rock. Everyone inspires everyone and it will go on forever.

    As for the new bands with nothing left to do? They seem to be doing just fine...

    Animal Collective
    Abe Vigoda
    Another Sunny Day
    Arab On Radar
    Atlas Sound
    Autechre
    Aphex Twin
    Black Dice
    Black Eyes
    Blank Dogs
    Blood Brothers
    Boards of Canada
    The Books
    The Clientele
    Clinic
    Cold Cave
    Daughters
    Deerhoof
    Deerhunter
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Dirty Projectors
    Dodos
    Erase Errata
    Erlend oye
    Ex-Models
    Exploding Hearts
    Fever Ray
    Fantomas
    Field Music
    Giddy Motors
    Godspeed You Black Emperor
    Gogogo Airheart
    Grandaddy
    HEALTH
    Hella
    Hot Chip
    Isis
    Jens Lekman
    Joanna Newsom
    John Zorn
    King Khan
    The Knife
    LCD Soundsystem
    Le Tigre
    Les Georges Leningrad
    Lightning Bolt
    Love is All
    M83
    Monotonix
    Mastodon
    McLusky
    Meshuggah
    Microphones
    Neon Blonde
    No Age
    Numbers
    Oneida
    Optiganally Yours
    Owls
    Panda Bear
    Pissed Jeans
    Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower
    Polvo
    Ponytail
    Shellac
    Six Finger Satellite
    Stereo Total
    The Streets
    Sunn o)))
    Tortoise
    Trans Am
    US Maple
    Ween
    Wolf Eyes
    Wild Beasts
    Women
    XBXRX
    The xx
    Yo La Tengo
    Zach Hill


    and on
    and on
    and on