1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 03:421 edit
    I've always been a "gamer grrl".

From my first MMORPG "Everquest" on to "Everquest II" and then on to "City of Heroes" with numerous Korean "Perfect World" games in between ("Neverwinter Nights", "Star Trek Online" ), I've always played MMOs. Hell, I even tried World of Warcraft.

City of Heroes closed down their servers in late 2012, but a group of programmers has brought the City back to us, via "Homecoming", with 5 servers up currently. This brought back many of the old players and has even introduced many new players to the game, many of whom were mere kids when it went down.

Yes, CoH is an old game, in the MMO world. But it manages to pass the test of time, and still plays well. It is totally free to play now, with most of the old "pay" features open to all. And you can make as many characters as you want (well, up to 1000 per server).

If anyone is interested, you can do a Google search on City of Heroes Homecoming to access the forums and instructions on how to make an account and install the game.

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls!
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    10 Aug '20 18:22
    I did INFOCOM's text adventures like Zork I . Deadline, Planetfall, Plundered hearts, Mist, plus lots more..
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '20 19:531 edit
    @suzianne said
    I've always been a "gamer grrl".

From my first MMORPG "Everquest" on to "Everquest II" and then on to "City of Heroes" with numerous Korean "Perfect World" games in between ("Neverwinter Nights", "Star Trek Online" ), I've always played MMOs. Hell, I even tried World of Warcraft.

City of Heroes closed down their servers in late 2012, but a group of programmers has bro ...[text shortened]... e forums and instructions on how to make an account and install the game.

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls!
    I used to play the red servers (mostly Sullon Zek, <Sanctus Lumen> represent) but I got tired of paying for the same game every month. Was EQ2 any good?

Fansy the Famous Bard was also on Sullon Zek. He was amusing.

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Aug '20 20:041 edit
    @athousandyoung said
    I used to play the red servers (mostly Sullon Zek, <Sanctus Lumen> represent) but I got tired of paying for the same game every month. Was EQ2 any good?

Fansy the Famous Bard was also on Sullon Zek. He was amusing.

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm
    Heh, back when Bards took talent and experience to play well. I remember sitting deep inside Kedge Keep for hours with my druid waiting on the one Mermaid Matriarch to pop so I could get the druid epic piece she dropped. With a good group, the time passed well.

EQ2 was okay, it was a lot more formulaic, in that, once you figured out how to progress, every new char, regardless of class was pretty much 'plug and play'. Crafting became actually enjoyable in EQ2, but, again, was the same old, same old, regardless of character. This is mainly why I started branching out, playing more kinds of MMO.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Aug '20 11:572 edits
    Command and Conquer - a game that had the potential to ruin my university studies...it came on two discs, so we could play endless multiplayer. (@Chris too).

Just recently remastered, so I'm trying to find the time to dive in again.
    YouTube : Command and Conquer

Edit : Also the best music in any video game - ever!
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '20 10:27
    @russ said
    Command and Conquer - a game that had the potential to ruin my university studies...it came on two discs, so we could play endless multiplayer. (@Chris too).

Just recently remastered, so I'm trying to find the time to dive in again.
    [youtube Command and Conquer]DrtodXOIeW8[/youtube]

Edit : Also the best music in any video game - ever!
    I saw they had remastered this while browsing Steam. I remember seeing guy friends playing it back in the day, but never got "into it", but I picked it up anyway on Steam mainly because I could get the whole collection and give it a try. I do remember the music, it was better than most at the time.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Aug '20 12:261 edit
    I've never been into MMORPGs, but I've played a lot of JRPGs. Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 3, Ocarina of Time, Windwaker, FF7, FF8, FF12, etc. I've even played the Pokemon remake for Switch after originally playing the Game Boy version when I was younger.

I can't do RPGs anymore. Maybe it's because I'm married with kids, but I just don't have the patience anymore to grind in RPGs and upgrade stats, weapons, armor, ect. I got about halfway Through Breath of the Wild and couldn't stand playing any further. Too much focus on upgrading EVERYTHING; your speed, attack, weapons, boots...even your climbing ability. Same with Wtcher 3, got several hours into it and got bored.

RPGs need to get rid of that upgrade mechanic. It always feels like more time is spent doing that than actually enjoying the game.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 17:042 edits
    @vivify said
    I've never been into MMORPGs, but I've played a lot of JRPGs. Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 3, Ocarina of Time, Windwaker, FF7, FF8, FF12, etc. I've even played the Pokemon remake for Switch after originally playing the Game Boy version when I was younger.

I can't do RPGs anymore. Maybe it's because I'm married with kids, but I just don't have the patience anymore to g ...[text shortened]... pgrade mechanic. It always feels like more time is spent doing that than actually enjoying the game.
    I've never played any FF games. I know they have a huge following, but I've just never stumbled in to playing one. After awhile, all the JRPGs kinda seem the same. Nowadays, they limit what you can get for free, making higher level play almost impossible unless you subscribe.

I also missed the whole Star Wars MMO bandwagon.

The continual "upgrade" dance. Yeah, I hear that being what turns most people off of RPGs. MMOs especially.
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 17:17
    recently got an email from ATARI.. yes, they're still around.. They announced a new piece of hardware..Atari VCS 800. It comes with wireless joysticks. and bundled with hundreds of retro old games. lol ..it can be yours for only $389 !
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 17:28
    @ogb said
    recently got an email from ATARI.. yes, they're still around.. They announced a new piece of hardware..Atari VCS 800. It comes with wireless joysticks. and bundled with hundreds of retro old games. lol ..it can be yours for only $389 !
    Not an Atari as we know it. This is just a low spec PC with familiar a badge.

"That is worse than the current specs of the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 for the same price. "

https://www.theregister.com/2019/06/14/atari_vcs_console/
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 17:55
    Ok.
    I'm going to admit complete ignorance here.
    What do all of these acronyms mean?

After RPG(Role Playing Game), I've no idea.
  12. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    22 Aug '20 18:25
    @russ said

"That is worse than the current specs of the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 for the same price. "

thanks for the link..BTW, I still have my old Atari 400, 800, 1200xl, etc, etc. plus lots of game cartridges..
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '20 21:11
    @russ said

Yeah, they probably should have done what they did in the past with other consoles and just re-release the old favorites playable on Xbox and PS4. They both have wireless controllers now, so that couldn't have been a big selling point. This probably won't sell, but they could have sold the discs for the other two until the cows came home.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Aug '20 21:39
    When I saw "Notable video games" I'm thinking arcade games;
    Galaxian
    Asteroids

😢
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '20 21:501 edit
    @wolfe63 said
    Ok.
    I'm going to admit complete ignorance here.
    What do all of these acronyms mean?

After RPG(Role Playing Game), I've no idea.
    RPG - Role Playing Game
    MMO - usually written as MMORPG, usually shortened to MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, an RPG you play online with others, anyone with the game and access to the internet can log in and play, therefore the "massively". Thousands of players on at the same time is common. Bigger targets can be taken down by groups of players.

Some "flavors" of RPGs
    FF - Final Fantasy, usually followed by a number, with spin-offs, I believe the last FF was FFXV, or FF15, released in 2016
    EQ - EverQuest - often hailed as the original, it did become the most popular for a time.
    EQ2 - EverQuest II
    WoW - World of Warcraft
    CoH - and CoV, together known as CoX - City of Heroes - City of Villains - two sides to the same game
    JRPG - Japanese Role Playing Game, many of these are in an anime-style, I believe FF was the first majorly popular game in this category

Computer RPGs are most often played by teen-aged boys, some have called them nerds, after all, they have plenty of time to sink into these hobbies. When the first ones came out, girls playing them was a rarity, but some games have always attracted more girls. Since they've gone "online" (see MMO), this has traditionally fostered a social aspect that girls can get "into", and this is what attracted me to them in the first place. One thing that has helped girls get into these games is the quality of a game's "character creator". I love the character creator in CoH, at the time of release (2004) it was hailed as far more detailed in the number of costume pieces available than other games at the time.

Not just for "kids" any more. Most older MMOs have a player base that has gotten older over the years. Not unusual to see older adults playing along-side the "kids".

The kinds of RPGs I got into that weren't MMOs were games like Diablo, Fate, Torchlight, and I recently downloaded one I missed the first time around, Dragon Age. Assassin's Creed is another huge franchise I never got into.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree