Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member hakima
    Illumination
    02 Jan '15 22:08
    I love rock & roll and the blues...jazz and folk...but some days are purely operatic...today is one of those days...

    I discovered this sweet gem of an arrangement of La Traviata. The staging is innovative and the vocals are evocative. Enjoy!

    YouTube
  2. 11 Jan '15 04:25
    Originally posted by hakima
    I love rock & roll and the blues...jazz and folk...but some days are purely operatic...today is one of those days...

    I discovered this sweet gem of an arrangement of La Traviata. The staging is innovative and the vocals are evocative. Enjoy!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAGJexBqfTs
    My father and I saw La Boeme (spelling?) some weeks back.
  3. Standard member hakima
    Illumination
    11 Jan '15 05:50
    Originally posted by gswilm
    My father and I saw La Boeme (spelling?) some weeks back.
    What did you think of it!
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Mar '15 11:45
    I just listened to Handel's Soloman oratorio on the way to work this morning. A magnificent piece. I wasn't sure if it was an Italian or German piece turned into English but read up on it on Google. Handel composed a lot of pieces in English so this was the original.
  5. 04 Mar '15 18:27 / 1 edit
    La Boheme.

    Hakima, that is considered the current quintessential Traviata and Netrebko and Villazon magnificent.
  6. Standard member hakima
    Illumination
    06 Mar '15 04:05
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    La Boheme.

    Hakima, that is considered the current quintessential Traviata and Netrebko and Villazon magnificent.
    I have seen/heard Traviata several times...once--live with the great Roberta Peters...The Traviata I posted is the best I have ever heard. I have tickets to see La Traviata again next month, but I am afraid it will pale in comparison...keeping my mind open.
  7. 06 Mar '15 04:28
    Always keep your mind open. Go and enjoy, suspend judgment/disbelief and immerse yourself the the glorious music, plain and simple. I'd rather go than stay home and as season ticket holder for last 25-26 years I have seen a goodly portion of the vast repertoire from all eras, genres, languages and love it all. I just wish I resided in a city like NY where the season is so broad and all encompassing. But I enjoy my smaller town opera company greatly. After bugging them for ten years they finally opened our new opera house with Verdi's greatest masterwork, Otello. Verdi and Boito (librettist) hit it out of the park!!!
  8. Standard member hakima
    Illumination
    06 Mar '15 05:08
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Always keep your mind open. Go and enjoy, suspend judgment/disbelief and immerse yourself the the glorious music, plain and simple. I'd rather go than stay home and as season ticket holder for last 25-26 years I have seen a goodly portion of the vast repertoire from all eras, genres, languages and love it all. I just wish I resided in a city like NY whe ...[text shortened]... with Verdi's greatest masterwork, Otello. Verdi and Boito (librettist) hit it out of the park!!!
    Thank you for the reminder to keep my mind open...the most amazing things fall in when I do...

    🙂
  9. 06 Mar '15 12:04
    Indeed. It is always better to keep an open mind whereby one can be immersed in the greatness of Verdi regardless of cast or company. It is so hard to flub Traviata for it does not require amazing singers.