1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 04:311 edit
    Pachelbel's Canon in D

YouTube

10,512,062 Hits

Somehow familiar the first time you hear this soothing classic.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 12:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Pachelbel's Canon in D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA-2hl1Vbc

10,512,062 Hits

Somehow familiar the first time you hear this soothing classic.[/b]
    Funny you should mention that piece. I have a good friend, George, who made this piece pretty famous, here he is on Youtube:

YouTube
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 10:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Pachelbel's Canon in D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA-2hl1Vbc

10,512,062 Hits

Somehow familiar the first time you hear this soothing classic.[/b]
    Remember the cute Taco Bell Chihuahua that said "Yo quiero Taco bell!"? In Dallas our local classical station had trucks/vans with the slogan, uttered by a cute Chihuahua "Yo quiero Pachelbel!". I still laugh at that!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 14:06
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Remember the cute Taco Bell Chihuahua that said "Yo quiero Taco bell!"? In Dallas our local classical station had trucks/vans with the slogan, uttered by a cute Chihuahua "Yo quiero Pachelbel!". I still laugh at that!
    Good one! BTW, have you heard of George Winston? If so, what do you think of him? We were best buddies back in the day when we both lived in Venice Beach.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '13 23:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Good one! BTW, have you heard of George Winston? If so, what do you think of him? We were best buddies back in the day when we both lived in Venice Beach.
    Really! Great keyboardist and awesome composer. I liked him for a wee bit then discovered classical and could no longer listen to Winston when I had so much else to explore, but his music is very, very good.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 00:25
    Really! Great keyboardist and awesome composer. I liked him for a wee bit then discovered classical and could no longer listen to Winston when I had so much else to explore, but his music is very, very good.
    When we lived in Venice beach, he had made a record on Takoma records, John Fahey's company, called Ballads and Blues and sold a few thousand, a nice sum for Takoma. So I left in 1980 and went to Phoenix for a job. Next thing I know, I am hearing George in elevator music. It seems the rights to that record had been re-issued by Windom Hill records and his first real recording there, Autumn, went platinum and put Windom Hill records on the map, selling 1 million albums, followed by December and Winter into Spring, both also selling over 1 million copies. All this happened unbeknownst to me till he started sending us box seat tickets to his performances, on at the Kennedy center (he caused a scandal with the ushers, since he appeared onstage in stocking feet, he said he gets more pedal control that way)
    So we met again when he went through Pa, showed up at our house and we have a nice picture of him and our twins who were about 4 at the time.

We keep in touch by email. He is an awesome guitarist and harmonica player as well, now just doing guitar or just harmonica.

He offered my wife Susan the job as his manager but she was already managing my band Southwind Irish Band and couldn't take on any more.

She also introduced him to Hawaiian guitar music and he ran with it and now is a virtuoso in that field, also having recorded a BUNCH of native Hawaiian guitarists like Sonny Hollingsworth and many others on his own label Dancing Cat records. He is very humble, not a pretentious bone in his body.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 02:04
    When we lived in Venice beach, he had made a record on Takoma records, John Fahey's company, called Ballads and Blues and sold a few thousand, a nice sum for Takoma. So I left in 1980 and went to Phoenix for a job. Next thing I know, I am hearing George in elevator music. It seems the rights to that record had been re-issued by Windom Hill records and his f ...[text shortened]... on his own label Dancing Cat records. He is very humble, not a pretentious bone in his body.
    Awesome story indeed. One never knows when success may be lurking around the corner. Even modest success can lead to a placid and happy life and money certainly isn't everything. Nice to hear Winston is a humble guy. I enjoy nothing better than bumping into a great who remains well grounded. My only brush with fame was missing running over Barry White as he crossed from Central Park. He yelled at me with the unmistakeable voice. I apologized profusely. The whole situation defused when I said, "Gee Mr. White, I never expected anybody larger than life walking a fru-fru dog instead of Cerberus!"
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 08:43
    Awesome story indeed. One never knows when success may be lurking around the corner. Even modest success can lead to a placid and happy life and money certainly isn't everything. Nice to hear Winston is a humble guy. I enjoy nothing better than bumping into a great who remains well grounded. My only brush with fame was missing running over Barry White a ...[text shortened]... White, I never expected anybody larger than life walking a fru-fru dog instead of Cerberus!"
    you people need to be JerryC'd

YouTube

canon rock
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 11:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you people need to be JerryC'd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8oyJztzwo

canon rock
    Awesome!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 15:301 edit
    Awesome!
    I think I finally figured out what your handle means: Chess crazy? Or chess nut?
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Aug '13 22:39
    I think I finally figured out what your handle means: Chess crazy? Or chess nut?
    Chess nut! Scacchi (chess) and pazzo (nut) in Italian. How'd you guess?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 06:07
    Chess nut! Scacchi (chess) and pazzo (nut) in Italian. How'd you guess?
    Looking at the words, parsing them in various ways and Italian translation sites did it. One translation of pazzo said crazy and another said nuts.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 11:31
    Looking at the words, parsing them in various ways and Italian translation sites did it. One translation of pazzo said crazy and another said nuts.
    I played and played with handles then decided that because my Italian wife said I was nits for chess that was the best handle. I am not fluent in Italian, but read it decently and understand it better than I speak it, so this was perfect and the wife agrees. My daughter does too! I taught myself through opera. I am trying the same through Schubert lieder and Wagner operas with German but it is a much tougher language.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 14:20
    I played and played with handles then decided that because my Italian wife said I was nits for chess that was the best handle. I am not fluent in Italian, but read it decently and understand it better than I speak it, so this was perfect and the wife agrees. My daughter does too! I taught myself through opera. I am trying the same through Schubert lieder and Wagner operas with German but it is a much tougher language.
    German is tougher? I thought German was pretty easy in HS. I saw an ad for some language tape or other, it said, German, the language you already know🙂
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 22:08
    German is tougher? I thought German was pretty easy in HS. I saw an ad for some language tape or other, it said, German, the language you already know🙂
    True if you're stuck on Old English! LOL Also, as a non primary speaker of English all non-Romance languages are harder. I find Greek easier as well!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree