1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 13:57
    I saw Pavement play last night. The reunion did not disappoint. All killer, no filler. If you're a fan and you have a chance to see them, you WILL cream yourself.

Also saw Broken Social Scene, Band of Horses and Beach House on the same bill. Great Festival! Super hungover. Halp plx.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I saw Pavement play last night. The reunion did not disappoint. All killer, no filler. If you're a fan and you have a chance to see them, you WILL cream yourself.

Also saw Broken Social Scene, Band of Horses and Beach House on the same bill. Great Festival! Super hungover. Halp plx.
    Yay! Pavement! Do they have any new material?...this is news to me. Always been a big fan of those laid back cats.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 12:49
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yay! Pavement! Do they have any new material?...this is news to me. Always been a big fan of those laid back cats.
    No new material. I think that's what made the concert so great. 🙂
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 14:16
    Originally posted by darvlay
    No new material. I think that's what made the concert so great. 🙂
    So they reformed just for a world tour?.. I think I read somewhere that Malkamus said that they were only reforming for a limited time.
    You think they did it for the cash?
    (I wouldn't mind if they did, they deserve it after having single-handedly championing indie music in there era)
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 14:271 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So they reformed just for a world tour?.. I think I read somewhere that Malkamus said that they were only reforming for a limited time.
    You think they did it for the cash?
    (I wouldn't mind if they did, they deserve it after having single-handedly championing indie music in there era)
    Of course they did it for the cash.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 14:49
    From Chuck Klosterman's article in GQ:

After an hour at the park, Malkmus needs to go home. As we walk back to his car, I try to ask the principal questions I need to ask: Why is Pavement reuniting now? Why is the band reuniting at all? I mention that this could actually hurt their legacy, since there's a certain romantic cachet to never coming back. "Oh yeah, I know," he says. I also mention, on the upside, that these massive sold-out concerts will allow Pavement to earn some of the money they never made when they were musically peaking. He says, "That's a consideration." I keep waiting for him to unleash some fake enthusiasm, because that's what musicians do whenever they're promoting something. And he tries. But he just can't make himself do it.

"I think people really want to do it. I… I want to do it. I mean, I don't want to be the person who only kind of wants to do it." Malkmus laughs. He knows he is not being particularly convincing. "Our booking agent had a lot to do with it. He's been pushing for it for a while. If we're going to do it, everyone says this is a good time. I suppose what I like about this whole reunion is the openness. Will it be fun for us? Will people in the audience have fun? Who knows? It's not like I'm gagging to get out there and play those songs, but I am curious to see what it will be like, and I'm curious to see the other guys and watch them play onstage again. I'm assuming it's going to be fun."

I ask if he has much of a relationship with the other members of Pavement; he says he does, but it's tenuous. The only member he consistently communicates with is multiinstrumentalist Bob Nastanovich, but that's mostly because they're in some of the same fantasy leagues. "Stephen is a pretty difficult guy to access," Nastanovich explains via telephone, calling from a racetrack in Illinois where he's working. "If you're not in the same town with him, you don't really hear from him. I've found that the easiest way to get in touch with him, even if it's about a Pavement-related issue, is to propose a trade in one of our fantasy leagues and attach my question in an e-mail memo." Nastanovich is pretty open about the things he does not know about Pavement. "I have no idea why we're doing this now. I only talked to Stephen for about five or ten minutes about this reunion, and the only things he clarified was that I would need to be comfortable quitting my job, that I'd have to practice, and that I had to promise not to blow the money I made on horses."
  7. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 22:56
    Pavement played for two and a quarter hours at ATP! Saw them again a week later at Primavera for another hour and a half. Fun though it was, that'll probably do me for another five years or so!

And whatever you might think, Wowee Zowee is definitely their best album...
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jun '10 10:55
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Pavement played for two and a quarter hours at ATP! Saw them again a week later at Primavera for another hour and a half. Fun though it was, that'll probably do me for another five years or so!

And whatever you might think, Wowee Zowee is definitely their best album...
    They had their moments. Wowee Zowee was great, but only in in the context of their other work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree