1. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 19:382 edits
    ...Monster-Brother

Sometimes when I have nothing to read at bedtime, I start, and usually fail to finish, writing short stories. Here's the first third of one I've been messing with for the past few weeks, and since it contains a reference to potAtoes, I thought I'd post it here. It's very unfinished, but perhaps someone will enjoy it.

http://tinyurl.com/42pv6r

The relevant excerpt, for those who don't want to wade through:

"During the sparse conversation of the first evening, I divided my attention between Horace’s dancing foot and his hat. Indeed, his hair was controlled by a common hunting cap, consistent with the shotgun which protruded from behind his seat, except that it bore a curious symbol, evidently hand-drawn in black ink, above the bill: the word “potato” was neatly written, with the “A” capitalised and circled to form the well-known anti-authoritarian logo. Reticent to ask the stranger about his politics, I pondered this at length. For some time, I entertained the notion that Potato Anarchy was a form of Irish republicanism that had escaped my attention, but that seemed somehow far-fetched. Besides, the hat was orange."
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 20:08
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    ...Monster-Brother

Sometimes when I have nothing to read at bedtime, I start, and usually fail to finish, writing short stories. Here's the first third of one I've been messing with for the past few weeks, and since it contains a reference to potAtoes, I thought I'd post it here. It's very unfinished, but perhaps someone will enjoy it.

http://ti ...[text shortened]... escaped my attention, but that seemed somehow far-fetched. Besides, the hat was orange."
    The Orangemen? Perhaps he's an Irish Protestant.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 20:45
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The orangemen? Perhaps he's an Irish protestant.
    hardy worth posting but you won't find many orangemen calling themselves Irish.
  4. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 21:38
    ...Monster-Brother

http://ti ...[text shortened]... escaped my attention, but that seemed somehow far-fetched. Besides, the hat was orange."
    Really enjoyed that! Thanks for posting.

If you decide to finish it, please share.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 21:42
    ...Monster-Brother

PotAtoes in Literature! Brilliant! Are there any potAtoes in Jerusalem yet?
  6. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 06:19
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Really enjoyed that! Thanks for posting.

If you decide to finish it, please share.
    Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have an idea of how the rest of the story goes, so I will finish it, and post it here when I do.
  7. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 06:39
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    PotAtoes in Literature! Brilliant! Are there any potAtoes in Jerusalem yet?
    Unfortunately not; I'm still trying to find a color printer I can use, although I have sticky sticker paper.

I also would like to see a Wikipedia article, or even a category, called "potAtoes in Culture".
  8. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 07:29
    Unfortunately not; I'm still trying to find a color printer I can use, although I have sticky sticker paper.

I also would like to see a Wikipedia article, or even a category, called "potAtoes in Culture".
    Color is unnecessary. We need a potAto in Israel before Christmas. I think there was something about that in Revelations...

The seas will turn to mayonnaise,
    whilst on the fruit that paddies graze
    there will appear a circled "A",
    to mark the end of all our days.
  9. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 08:06
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Color is unnecessary. We need a potAto in Israel before Christmas. I think there was something about that in Revelations...

The seas will turn to mayonnaise,
    whilst on the fruit that paddies graze
    there will appear a circled "A",
    to mark the end of all our days.
    Ha!

Will do; Israel needs to compete with the neighbours:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7771042.stm
  10. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 16:19
    ...Monster-Brother

hA! That's funny, pleAse continue.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 16:40
    Didn't rb send you the b/w version?
  12. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 16:59
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Didn't rb send you the b/w version?
    Yes. I think my real excuse is being busy and lazy, but that excuse wears thin, although I did prefer the colour one.
  13. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    20 Dec '08 10:21
    Originally posted by Sunburnt
    hA! That's funny, pleAse continue.
    ThAt's the plAn.
  14. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 Jan '09 18:18
    Another, smaller, chunk is available at:

http://amagmatransit.wordpress.com/
  15. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 17:31
    Third installment now available. Check it out if you've ever wondered what a nonorientable guitar would sound like.

Also, the work of other, better writers will soon be coming to this blog!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree