Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 18 Feb '11 20:30 / 3 edits
    I must admit that i like my classical music a little heavy, Mendelssohn is fine if a little airy, check this performance of Prokofiev, i defy you not to want to compose this orchestra from your chair!

    YouTube&feature=related
  2. 18 Feb '11 23:20 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I must admit that i like my classical music a little heavy, Mendelssohn is fine if a little airy, check this performance of Prokofiev, i defy you not to want to compose this orchestra from your chair!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmqVWsIz6pc&feature=related
    Pretty wonderful indeed. Nothing wrong with heavy. Prokofiev did heavy well. Ably if somewhat affectedly conducted. First I thought it was Prince in drag! I've heard of armchair conductors but not composers.

    Here's a version with a less theatrical conductor.

    YouTube&feature=related

    And since you like heavy, here's a piece by Prokofiev's contemporary, Stravsinky. Makes you realize where Prokofiev got inspiration. Le Sacre du Primtemps is a revolutionary piece.

    YouTube&feature=related
  3. 19 Feb '11 15:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Pretty wonderful indeed. Nothing wrong with heavy. Prokofiev did heavy well. Ably if somewhat affectedly conducted. First I thought it was Prince in drag! I've heard of armchair conductors but not composers.

    Here's a version with a less theatrical conductor.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aPHWOu8IQQ&feature=related

    And since you like heavy, he emps is a revolutionary piece.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtAzaQ_fd-A&feature=related
    no way, that orchestra was like death warmed up! the only person with any life in them was the number one violinist! My conductor, look at him pound and grapple with the percussion! You could feel the Russian winter in your bones from that performance. Was it affected? Who can say? I really thought he was living it!

    Stravinsky piece was also great, from dark shades to light pizzicato, it had it all! Timpani were awesomeness!
  4. 19 Feb '11 17:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no way, that orchestra was like death warmed up! the only person with any life in them was the number one violinist! My conductor, look at him pound and grapple with the percussion! You could feel the Russian winter in your bones from that performance. Was it affected? Who can say? I really thought he was living it!

    Stravinsky piece was also great, from dark shades to light pizzicato, it had it all! Timpani were awesomeness!
    BTW your conductor is a conductress! I believe the conducting was good, just too dramatic. Matter of taste. It is a truly wonderful piece. Those Russians knew heavy indeed. In two weeks I go to Boris Godunov, talking about heavy. I masterpiece of the first order by a mind ravaged by alcohol. Perhaps homemade vodka was hallucinatory. Take a peek and listen:

    YouTube

    Heavy and somewhat weird, but wonderful!

    Also more Stravinsky. Petruska:

    YouTube
  5. 19 Feb '11 18:11
    Here's wonderful footage of the master himself conducting! Firebird, lullaby scene! Stravinsky was 82!

    YouTube
  6. 19 Feb '11 18:22 / 1 edit
    Here's some rare footage of Bruno Walter, one of history's greatest conducting Mahler's 4th. Notice how restrained he is compared to drama queen in your video!

    YouTube&feature=related

    Or good ol' Lenny Bersntein:

    YouTube&feature=related