Qingjing jing

Qingjing jing

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
25 Feb 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Starrman
Which is why there should be some initiation of debate or something don't you think? Not everyone will be aware of the content of all cultural entities which might be posted there, we need to share ideas and knowledge. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in alerting, we'll see if it is reinstated.
Why should debate be added to a piece of litrerary work for it to be legitimate ? To appease the dumb?

A piece of work should be able to stand alone, and be enjoyed by those who wish to enjoy it. It should not have to be turned into a debate.

I mean no insult by my response, just saying it as best as my own limited vocabulary can.

S

Moves
25 Feb 08

Originally posted by vistesd
Anybody remember this kind of discussion back right after Spirituality was created and separated from debates? Anybody notice that almost all philosophical discussion takes place on Spirituality? (If I want LJ or Starrman to sort me out on the correspondence theory of truth, or get Dr. Scribbles to sort me out on logic, where will I post my question if I w ...[text shortened]... ure—as long as the post is composed in iambic pentameter... (Do I need to say, “Just kidding”?)
To view the world as art is hard I know,
so taking solace in my bed I go.

Night all 🙂

S

Moves
25 Feb 08

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Why should debate be added to a piece of litrerary work for it to be legitimate ? To appease the dumb?

A piece of work should be able to stand alone, and be enjoyed by those who wish to enjoy it. It should not have to be turned into a debate.

I mean no insult by my response, just saying it as best as my own limited vocabulary can.
Okay, I'm not really up for the debate any more, but you surely realise the difference between writing a literary work and posting a thread about another literary work? The original work does stand alone, your post however might require some context or opinion, these are discussion boards, not art galleries.

Either way, I'm too sleepy, if you feel like starting a thread about the poem again or whatever, I'll take part tomorrow.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
25 Feb 08

Okay, I'm not really up for the debate any more, but you surely realise the difference between writing a literary work and posting a thread about another literary work? The original work does stand alone, your post however might require some context or opinion, these are discussion boards, not art galleries.

Either way, I'm too sleepy, if you feel like starting a thread about the poem again or whatever, I'll take part tomorrow.
I just don't think your opinion alone is worthy reason for moving it.

A bad decision in my opinion.

Good night.

S

Moves
25 Feb 08

I just don't think your opinion alone is worthy reason for moving it.

A bad decision in my opinion.

Good night.
I'm guessing the mods also had an opinion on it, and if you'd spent the energy you did on this thread convincing them otherwise, it probably would have been reinstated hours ago...

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
26 Feb 08
1 edit

I'm guessing the mods also had an opinion on it, and if you'd spent the energy you did on this thread convincing them otherwise, it probably would have been reinstated hours ago...
I think this public debate served a purpose, and don't think it was a bad thing.

S

Moves
26 Feb 08

I think this public debate served a purpose, and don't think it was a bad thing.
I wonder if we can get it back on track now it's returned?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Feb 08

Nonsense, institutions thrive on the lack of current dependence, they operate through tradition, not through application to the present.

I have no idea what you mean by 'a thought can carry out'.
Christianity is a set of beliefs, therefore a set of thoughts. If Christianity can "carry out" anything, so can any thought. Else you stumble into inconsistency.

S

Moves
26 Feb 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Christianity is a set of beliefs, therefore a set of thoughts. If Christianity can "carry out" anything, so can any thought. Else you stumble into inconsistency.
That balloon means nothing, all safety law beliefs of all tyre types are thoughts. Your post makes me want to drown myself in cream cheese for fear of the cracker people.

p

Moves
26 Feb 08

i. All spirituality isn't religion
ii. All religion isn't institutional.

This debate's confusing. The first statement must be true; just consider atheistic philosophers concerned with the soul. eg. Hume

The second statement, although probably true (people talk of personal religion as opposed to institutional), has little to do with the first.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Feb 08

That balloon means nothing, all safety law beliefs of all tyre types are thoughts. Your post makes me want to drown myself in cream cheese for fear of the cracker people.
Did you ever stop to think about the implications of us being a different SPECIES from rabbits?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Feb 08

Originally posted by pootstick
i. All spirituality isn't religion
ii. All religion isn't institutional.

This debate's confusing. The first statement must be true; just consider atheistic philosophers concerned with the soul. eg. Hume

The second statement, although probably true (people talk of personal religion as opposed to institutional), has little to do with the first.
Before he descended into inanity, I asked him to claim a difference between religion and spirituality. He chose to claim that all religion is institutional and some spirituality isn't. This is why I was addressing just ii.)

Regarding your example, I would say that no meaningful definition of soul is truly non-religious or it runs the risk of collapsing into a non-metaphysical definition.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
26 Feb 08

So should all philosophy be religion ? Seems spirituality is where philosophy and religion meet. The answer of the unkown question seem to be the main topic for both disciplines, as is moral conduct.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Feb 08

So should all philosophy be religion ? Seems spirituality is where philosophy and religion meet. The answer of the unkown question seem to be the main topic for both disciplines, as is moral conduct.
I hereby provide huck's disagreement with me as further evidence for my claim.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
26 Feb 08

Originally posted by Palynka
I hereby provide huck's disagreement with me as further evidence for my claim.
What am i disagreeing about exactly ? Just so i know in the future 😛