1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    08 May '13 05:56
    Rat meat sold as lamb in latest China food scandal

BEIJING (AP) — Chinese police have broken up a criminal ring accused of taking meat from rats and foxes and selling it as lamb in the country's latest food safety scandal. . . .

Among those arrested were 63 people who allegedly ran an operation in Shanghai and the coastal city of Wuxi that bought fox, mink, rat and other meat that had not been tested for quality and safety, processed it with additives like gelatin and passed it off as lamb.

The meat was sold to farmers' markets in Jiangsu province and Shanghai, it said.

http://www.chron.com/news/medical/article/Rat-meat-sold-as-lamb-in-latest-China-food-scandal-4485420.php?plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey:fdc687ab-5043-4e3a-9392-e0c6e615801f
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    08 May '13 12:36
    Since this is in the culture forum, I assume you have a problem with the Chinese?
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 May '13 13:56
    Why would that make it appropriate for this forum?
  4. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    08 May '13 14:00
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Why would that make it appropriate for this forum?
    Are you talking to me?
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 May '13 14:011 edit
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Are you talking to me?
    Yes. I just couldn't see how the OP was appropriate for this forum.

(I meant to reply and quote the first time, but pushed the wrong button and didn't notice until too late - sorry)
  6. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    08 May '13 14:07
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Yes. I just couldn't see how the OP was appropriate for this forum.

(I meant to reply and quote the first time, but pushed the wrong button and didn't notice until too late - sorry)
    Maybe he's a "foodie" and is trying to bring another dimension to this relatively stagnant forum?

I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt here.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    17 May '13 08:071 edit
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Since this is in the culture forum, I assume you have a problem with the Chinese?
    I love the Chinese. I lived and worked there and made many friends. Friendly and hospitable people. Plus, I felt more safe there than I do here. And I was in Tienanmen Square in June 1990 on the one year anniversary to the day of the massacre.

Anyway, while in China, I tried all kind of foods, even if the food seemed disgusting to me. Would take at least one bite. Fortunately, the region I was in they tended to cook their food thoroughly so at least it was generally edible.

Now to the point, The original post was entirely appropriate for this forum. It is about issues in Chinese culture generally and Chinese food culture, and the culture of the Chinese daily lives. I specifically chose the culture forum as by far the best fit for the original post.

Not very perceptive readers in this forum. Though, Zamboner seemed to get it.
  8. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    17 May '13 18:28
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I love the Chinese. I lived and worked there and made many friends. Friendly and hospitable people. Plus, I felt more safe there than I do here. And I was in Tienanmen Square in June 1990 on the one year anniversary to the day of the massacre.

Anyway, while in China, I tried all kind of foods, even if the food seemed disgusting to me. Would take a ...[text shortened]... original post.

Not very perceptive readers in this forum. Though, Zamboner seemed to get it.
    Yeah, not sure which "scandal" was worse. This, or the dumping of diseased pigs into the river.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 May '13 08:40
    My first meal in China was cow intestine.
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    21 May '13 12:44
    Culture is culture, and views about different cultures are only held apparent in one's own cultural observations about other culture.

Food deception is common in all cultures, including the Western hemisphere. If you google www.mnn and find contents of what are really in KFC and Macdonalds then you'd probably never eat there again.

Vietnamese culture is dog-eating, and although it is not to my own palate, I can understand it, as it is said to taste very much like chicken, but much better.

What I don't accept is part of the 'methodology' used to make available 'dogs' to eat.

http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/dog-meat-mafia-inside-thailands-smuggling-trade/616/

-m. 🙁
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 May '13 06:12
    While people eat animals of any sort, there will always be others willing to make money from the process, from the butcher's apprentice and the livestock breeder to the thieves who steal pet animals and sell them for consumption. I'm not a vegetarian myself, but as someone else has pointed out, that means my concern for the animals is hypocritical.

Having said that, which is better for, say, a calf? A year of feeding and care, followed by execution (humane if at all possible) and then being eaten; or never having been born because there was no economic benefit to anyone? The media never talks about that, they're too busy doing shock-horror stories about live sheep exports and dog thieves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree