1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Nov '19 08:01
    So here we go:

There might be some spoilers, even though I intend not to give away too much..

The book is about Severus, no mistake here. It is a biography in form of a novel. The viewpoint chnages sometimes, but not consequently. So normally we follow Severus and learn about his inner dialogue.

The story as such has a lot of dramatic elements, as is to be expected when we learn about a man who made his career soldiering. At some points the action seem to be a bit anachronistic, but there is the artistic license.

The only figure which has been modelled and shows good development is the hero himself, which is quite natuaral, him being the hero of his own life.
    He has his breaks and turns, but all in all he feels and thinks that most of his deeds are consequent, even if the old Severus wouldn't approve of waht the yung did and the young Severus would have had a lot to critizise on the old man...
    The Roman court and the intrigues are well captured. The reader does get the feeling that it is difficult to navigate and even to survive there.

All in all the reading was enjoyable.
  2. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 07:09
    @Ponderable
    Thank you so much for your support and kind comments. Watch this space for "Caracalla: Son of Severus" coming soon!
  3. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    03 Dec '19 07:41
    The audiobook version is in production now and should be launched just before Xmas.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '19 23:415 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    23 Dec '19 10:011 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Jealous?

By the way, posting all of Steve's personal information here was not essential to the point you were trying to make. You've done this sort of thing before. It's uncalled for.

Why do you feel so empowered? Because of your anonymity?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '19 23:512 edits

7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Dec '19 17:41
    @wolfe63 said
    By the way, posting all of Steve's personal information here was not essential to the point you were trying to make. You've done this sort of thing before. It's uncalled for.
    What's more, it's against the law. Not the site conditions; the actual law. Yes, doxxing someone is both disgustingly right-wing virgin-boy 4channy and a real crime. If "Steve" or "Benjamin" or whoever he really is would think Duchess64whateveritis worth the trouble of filing a lawsuit, Duchess64whateveritis would get itself its guts and a gaping hole in its retirement fund handed on a platter.

Frankly, I hope he will. This is beyond sub-human of you, Duchess64.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '19 21:442 edits

9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    25 Dec '19 05:27
    Did Steve send you a press release?
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '19 15:02
    As an actual criminal as of this thread, it would behove you not to throw around such adjectives,

Russ: criminals are prowling your forums. Clean them up, already.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Dec '19 05:33
    @Shallow-Blue
    Did you not see the part where D64 sited data published on his own website?
    Doesn't sound like anything criminal to me. I would like a real critique of the main thesis, was this dude Sev like he says?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jan '20 00:373 edits

13. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    01 Jan '20 12:592 edits
    @Duchess64

Wow! This seems a lot of heated words over not a lot - Ponderable is German and therefore writing in a second language - when he called me a "historical scholar" I think he meant it in the very loosest sense of the word!

I've not claimed my book to be a historical text, it's a work of fiction that very closely follows the historical facts in every aspect except the ongoing speculations surrounding Severus (all well documented online).

https://100greatblackbritons.com/bios/septimus_severus.html

For even more info you can follow me on https://twitter.com/exeter_steve
  14. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    01 Jan '20 14:22
    To be honest I am not flattered to be referred to as a historic scholar - I would be more chuffed if people complimented the book for being a page turner and an exciting read than a dry historic text. I don't play fast and loose with the facts but I do use artistic license to make it more dramatic and of interest to an modern audience who would enjoy the likes of "Game of Thrones".
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jan '20 20:221 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree