Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Aug '10 01:45
    What do you do? show them Kiss? Segovia, Jordi Savall? Alfred Hitchcock? Mozart? Da Vinci?

    How do you present the accomplishments of the human race in the best light, they are trying to figure out if we are worthy of joining the Galactic League.
  2. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    08 Aug '10 02:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you do? show them Kiss? Segovia, Jordi Savall? Alfred Hitchcock? Mozart? Da Vinci?

    How do you present the accomplishments of the human race in the best light, they are trying to figure out if we are worthy of joining the Galactic League.
    Blue Man Group.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Aug '10 02:53
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Blue Man Group.
    One group to represent planet Earth? What about the song of the Whales? Chirps of Dolphins? Whales might be admitted to the galactic union in favor of humans
  4. 08 Aug '10 04:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you do? show them Kiss? Segovia, Jordi Savall? Alfred Hitchcock? Mozart? Da Vinci?

    How do you present the accomplishments of the human race in the best light, they are trying to figure out if we are worthy of joining the Galactic League.
    I'm thinking about it. Who would you select?
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Aug '10 13:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I'm thinking about it. Who would you select?
    I would try to glean information about the aliens, such as, do they actually hear like we do? Do they use our hearing bands? Like 20 to 20,000 hz. Or maybe they hear like dolphins, 40,000 hz to 300,000 hz. That would kill any chance of us impressing them with music.

    Do they see in our wavelengths? Or maybe they all see only infrared or ultraviolet. That would suck because we couldn't show them much of our art.

    Do they talk, vocalize? Maybe they use telepathy or something. That would suck, they couldn't listen to our poetry.

    Do they have limbs like ours? Maybe they are giant snakes, unable to run. That would suck, they would have no appreciation for our athletic ability, tennis, basketball, etc.

    Do they have some kind of religion? No? Maybe that would give us a chance with our own atheists or agnostics.

    Could we understand their math if they have any? If not, there goes another avenue of commonality.

    So the question would have to be put to the aliens, how close are you to humans in those kind of terms?

    What kind of political system do they use, if any?

    Can you think of any other commonality that could link us to them?

    Do you begin to see the problem dealing with real aliens?
  6. 08 Aug '10 13:53
    After several million years of humans watching the night skies and wondering whether we are alone in space, if an alien civilisation did make contact and I was indeed chosen to 'represent', I think it would be a huge laugh to anger and annoy said aliens to the point where they would choose to have no further contact with the human race, ever. Accordingly I would show them a Tom Cruise movie. ANY Tom Cruise movie.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Aug '10 13:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by cromlech
    After several million years of humans watching the night skies and wondering whether we are alone in space, if an alien civilisation did make contact and I was indeed chosen to 'represent', I think it would be a huge laugh to anger and annoy said aliens to the point where they would choose to have no further contact with the human race, ever. Accordingly I would show them a Tom Cruise movie. ANY Tom Cruise movie.
    So you have figured out they see in the same wavelengths as us and their vision system can turn a series of flashing images into a recognizable image flow? What if they have to have images flash by at a rate of 1000 frames per second for them to recognize an image as moving?

    And they hear in our 20 hz to 20 khz range? What if they only hear in megahertz ranges and can't hear anything under 300,000 hertz?
  8. 08 Aug '10 15:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you have figured out they see in the same wavelengths as us and their vision system can turn a series of flashing images into a recognizable image flow? What if they have to have images flash by at a rate of 1000 frames per second for them to recognize an image as moving?

    And they hear in our 20 hz to 20 khz range? What if they only hear in megahertz ranges and can't hear anything under 300,000 hertz?
    Then they will enjoy the movies a whole lot more than the rest of us did!
  9. 09 Aug '10 11:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you have figured out they see in the same wavelengths as us and their vision system can turn a series of flashing images into a recognizable image flow? What if they have to have images flash by at a rate of 1000 frames per second for them to recognize an image as moving?

    And they hear in our 20 hz to 20 khz range? What if they only hear in megahertz ranges and can't hear anything under 300,000 hertz?
    Granted, they may see things differently to the average human, they may hear things differently to the average human, perhaps so differently as to be beyond our collective comprehension, but really, Tom Cruise movies are bad on a universal level.
  10. 09 Aug '10 14:11
    i'd give them heroin.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    09 Aug '10 19:19
    Originally posted by trev33
    i'd give them heroin.
    Opium wars ftw!

    We should deliver it in a giant space-battleship and blast open their ports if they close them to us!
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '10 02:36
    Originally posted by trev33
    i'd give them heroin.
    Yeah but who? Angelina Jolie? Halle Berry?
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    10 Aug '10 02:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah but who? Angelina Jolie? Halle Berry?
    Dora the Explora
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '10 03:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Dora the Explora
    That's it, they will fall on their whatever the have for knees and start worshiping.
  15. 23 Aug '10 05:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I would try to glean information about the aliens, such as, do they actually hear like we do? Do they use our hearing bands? Like 20 to 20,000 hz. Or maybe they hear like dolphins, 40,000 hz to 300,000 hz. That would kill any chance of us impressing them with music.

    Do they see in our wavelengths? Or maybe they all see only infrared or ultraviolet. That ...[text shortened]... ality that could link us to them?

    Do you begin to see the problem dealing with real aliens?
    C.J.Cherry's The Pride of Chanur is a good SF book, deals with those topics. the first of five in the series, i think.