1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 01:45
    What do you do? show them Kiss? Segovia, Jordi Savall? Alfred Hitchcock? Mozart? Da Vinci?

How do you present the accomplishments of the human race in the best light, they are trying to figure out if we are worthy of joining the Galactic League.
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 02:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you do? show them Kiss? Segovia, Jordi Savall? Alfred Hitchcock? Mozart? Da Vinci?

How do you present the accomplishments of the human race in the best light, they are trying to figure out if we are worthy of joining the Galactic League.
    Blue Man Group.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 02:53
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Blue Man Group.
    One group to represent planet Earth? What about the song of the Whales? Chirps of Dolphins? Whales might be admitted to the galactic union in favor of humans🙂
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 04:20

I'm thinking about it. Who would you select?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 13:341 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I'm thinking about it. Who would you select?
    I would try to glean information about the aliens, such as, do they actually hear like we do? Do they use our hearing bands? Like 20 to 20,000 hz. Or maybe they hear like dolphins, 40,000 hz to 300,000 hz. That would kill any chance of us impressing them with music.

Do they see in our wavelengths? Or maybe they all see only infrared or ultraviolet. That would suck because we couldn't show them much of our art.

Do they talk, vocalize? Maybe they use telepathy or something. That would suck, they couldn't listen to our poetry.

Do they have limbs like ours? Maybe they are giant snakes, unable to run. That would suck, they would have no appreciation for our athletic ability, tennis, basketball, etc.

Do they have some kind of religion? No? Maybe that would give us a chance with our own atheists or agnostics.

Could we understand their math if they have any? If not, there goes another avenue of commonality.

So the question would have to be put to the aliens, how close are you to humans in those kind of terms?

What kind of political system do they use, if any?

Can you think of any other commonality that could link us to them?

Do you begin to see the problem dealing with real aliens?
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 13:53
    After several million years of humans watching the night skies and wondering whether we are alone in space, if an alien civilisation did make contact and I was indeed chosen to 'represent', I think it would be a huge laugh to anger and annoy said aliens to the point where they would choose to have no further contact with the human race, ever. Accordingly I would show them a Tom Cruise movie. ANY Tom Cruise movie.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 13:561 edit
    Originally posted by cromlech
    After several million years of humans watching the night skies and wondering whether we are alone in space, if an alien civilisation did make contact and I was indeed chosen to 'represent', I think it would be a huge laugh to anger and annoy said aliens to the point where they would choose to have no further contact with the human race, ever. Accordingly I would show them a Tom Cruise movie. ANY Tom Cruise movie.
    So you have figured out they see in the same wavelengths as us and their vision system can turn a series of flashing images into a recognizable image flow? What if they have to have images flash by at a rate of 1000 frames per second for them to recognize an image as moving?

And they hear in our 20 hz to 20 khz range? What if they only hear in megahertz ranges and can't hear anything under 300,000 hertz?
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 15:15
    So you have figured out they see in the same wavelengths as us and their vision system can turn a series of flashing images into a recognizable image flow? What if they have to have images flash by at a rate of 1000 frames per second for them to recognize an image as moving?

And they hear in our 20 hz to 20 khz range? What if they only hear in megahertz ranges and can't hear anything under 300,000 hertz?
    Then they will enjoy the movies a whole lot more than the rest of us did!
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 11:49

Granted, they may see things differently to the average human, they may hear things differently to the average human, perhaps so differently as to be beyond our collective comprehension, but really, Tom Cruise movies are bad on a universal level.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 14:11
    i'd give them heroin.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 19:19
    Originally posted by trev33
    i'd give them heroin.
    Opium wars ftw!

We should deliver it in a giant space-battleship and blast open their ports if they close them to us!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 02:36
    Originally posted by trev33
    i'd give them heroin.
    Yeah but who? Angelina Jolie? Halle Berry?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 02:43
    Yeah but who? Angelina Jolie? Halle Berry?
    Dora the Explora
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '10 03:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Dora the Explora
    That's it, they will fall on their whatever the have for knees and start worshiping.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Aug '10 05:15
    I would try to glean information about the aliens, such as, do they actually hear like we do? Do they use our hearing bands? Like 20 to 20,000 hz. Or maybe they hear like dolphins, 40,000 hz to 300,000 hz. That would kill any chance of us impressing them with music.

Do they see in our wavelengths? Or maybe they all see only infrared or ultraviolet. That ...[text shortened]... ality that could link us to them?

Do you begin to see the problem dealing with real aliens?
    C.J.Cherry's The Pride of Chanur is a good SF book, deals with those topics. the first of five in the series, i think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree