1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 19:46
    Cult vocalist Ian Astbury has some pretty strong opinions on the state of the music industry. "Rock 'n' roll now is pretty much in the garbage," he tells The El Paso Times. "It's barely alive. Everybody has taken from it. Nobody has given back. There are a very few who have given back. It's a very selfish occupation."

The singer goes on to say that he doesn't think there will ever be a new Cult album, explaining, "Albums are dead. The format is dead. iTunes destroyed albums." Astbury does say, though, that if the band has a great song they really believe in, then they'll record it and release it.
  2. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 20:19
    Originally posted by uzless
    Cult vocalist Ian Astbury has some pretty strong opinions on the state of the music industry. "Rock 'n' roll now is pretty much in the garbage," he tells The El Paso Times. "It's barely alive. Everybody has taken from it. Nobody has given back. There are a very few who have given back. It's a very selfish occupation."

The singer goes on to say that he does ...[text shortened]... band has a great song they really believe in, then they'll record it and release it.
    The cult was a great band, but times change. It is so boring to hear people whine about the current state of music. It happens every generation and the whiners are always proven wrong.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 20:29
    Albums are dead? What an idiotic statement. If anything, the internet revolution has brought a new interest for old LPs, now easily available.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 21:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Albums are dead? What an idiotic statement. If anything, the internet revolution has brought a new interest for old LPs, now easily available.
    um, pretty sure he was talking about new albums by new bands. I've been saying for years that albums are dead and that everything in the future will be put out as singles only.

We are entering a new era of one-hit wonders. It's 1984 all over again.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 21:21
    um, pretty sure he was talking about new albums by new bands. I've been saying for years that albums are dead and that everything in the future will be put out as singles only.

We are entering a new era of one-hit wonders. It's 1984 all over again.
    All the bands I listen to are still making albums. It seems you may be wrong.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 21:48
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    All the bands I listen to are still making albums. It seems you may be wrong.
    Me too.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 00:49
    Originally posted by StTito
    The cult was a great band, but times change. It is so boring to hear people whine about the current state of music. It happens every generation and the whiners are always proven wrong.
    Rock is entirely mediocre today. Acknowledge it. At least for newer bands. No individuality on instruments - all these flunky bands may as well be using the same rhytm section.

It ain't whining if it's true.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 07:28
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Rock is entirely mediocre today. Acknowledge it. At least for newer bands. No individuality on instruments - all these flunky bands may as well be using the same rhytm section.

It ain't whining if it's true.
    Define 'newer'.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 07:58
    The internet revolution has renewed my interest for new albums by new bands, all now easily available. I haven't bought "a single" since the mid-1990s. Do they still sell them?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 08:06
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Rock is entirely mediocre today. Acknowledge it.
    Perhaps the rock you are listening to is mediocre. Can't argue with your assertion about your own taste. But I make a point of listening to as little mediocre rock as possible. It comes down to taste. Acknowledge it. Your tastes and the tastes of those with a taste for mediocre rock are clearly diverging. Mediocre rock wouldn't sell so weel if it weren't mediocre rock. Walk away from it. Mediocre rock is, was, and always will be ever-present and ever-plentiful. With the internet revolution it has far less of a suffocating effect than it did in ages past. I can make it through a day, week, month without being subjected to any mediocre rock whatsover.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 08:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    The internet revolution has renewed my interest for new albums by new bands, all now easily available. I haven't bought "a single" since the mid-1990s. Do they still sell them?
    The limited-edition seven-inch has really come into its own.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 09:041 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The limited-edition seven-inch has really come into its own.
    Yes. Vinyl rips. Especially from eras when corporate rock was mediocre and limited-edition seven-inch singles were the little beacons of light on those dim dour dark drab dreary doleful, desparately eternal U.K. winter days.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 11:022 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. Vinyl rips. Especially from eras when corporate rock was mediocre and limited-edition seven-inch singles were the little beacons of light on those dim dour dark drab dreary doleful, desparately eternal U.K. winter days.
    sob, i left a white vinal copy of The Dickies in the back of a taxi and its gone forever :'(
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 15:121 edit
    The Cult should feel privileged that they even had the opportunity to have a career in music seeing as they just wrote the same song over and over again. 😠
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 15:43
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The Cult should feel privileged that they even had the opportunity to have a career in music seeing as they just wrote the same song over and over again. 😠
    We can then conclude that their whole discography is a single.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree